Are we really free or are we just kidding ourselves?

by cyborgVision 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I think I am free now. But with regard to people being insulting and criticizing another poster - that seems to be a problem on all message boards - even ones on hair care! I don't know what it is. Maybe posters feel as if they are in competition with another poster to see who is the brightest, the wittiest, etc. That shouldn't be what this is about. We are, presumably, all adults here and we are recounting our experiences with the JWs. In each case, these will differ. One will not necessarily have the same experience as another because of gender, geographical area, etc. We are here because we want to tell our story, whatever it is.

LHG

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'd rather be with a group of people who will criticise me than a group of people who would shun me if I don't conform. If you shun me you end the interactive process and no-one benefits. If you criticise me you might convince me that I am wrong, or that you are right (the two are not the same) and I will know that I have learned something new.

I'm sure it's a part of the conditioning we suffered under the Watchtower that many still cannot get their heads around the idea that it is okay to disagree - thinking differently from the group is just fine. All I want is that posters treat each other nicely - especially the newcomers.

Recently I pulled a not so clever prank on the board. Most posters were fine with it, some thought it was funny but a couple were not so amused. One newbie told me that she would never read any posts I made again! I felt sad but I couldn't get angry with her - the reflexive, defensive technique of shunning had kicked in. It takes time to recover from Watchtower mental abuse. (yes, that's what I think it is)

All that being said, I do love a good, vigorous even heated debate. It is in my nature.

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

Thank you all for posting your responses; it was night here so I didn?t see them until now. Thank you all very much; I almost didn?t want to come back. :o)

I do know that emotions are running high and we are all keen to see any piece of evidence. But I still think that for the sake of us retaining credibility (when talking about serous matter) there should be a degree of composure because other side will use it against us and believe me they do read it all.

So if we want to help other people and friends see the truth we better make sure we use the right material. But again, that?s my opinion and doesn?t necessarily have to be shared by most people.

Every one has the right to have an opinion.

Which is great, that means we are free in that regard at least. Many sects, WT included, are guilty of communal disease known in management literature as groupthink. ( If any of you don?t know what it means go to google or dictionary.com) Hence, at least forums like this one enable people to express themselves. Though I still maintain we should be respectful of others people dignity, but again that?s my view on the matter.

Thank you all for you posts and if I have offended anyone by anything I?ve said above I want to apologize in advance.

• Flash
    Flash
    I?ve been a member here for just under a week here and already had unpleasant experience of being dragged into pretty nasty argument just because I dared to disagree with someone.

Hi cyborgVision

Listen, you can't let these things rattle you. There are too many good people here to let the few who want to argue or who are just in a 'mood' ruin your time here. If someone goes 'off,' forget it. Most of the time I will ignore the comment, sometimes I will fence with someone but I found it usualy isn't worth it...let them think what they want.

• observador
    observador

"that seems to be a problem on all message boards - even ones on hair care!"

OMG, I didn't know they have those too! Interesting... :)

Now I see where you got that name from... ;)

Observador.

• observador
    observador

"Recently I pulled a not so clever prank on the board. Most posters were fine with it, some thought it was funny but a couple were not so amused."

Nicolao, don't you have anything better to do, you **BEEEEP** ?

Just kidding...

Observador.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

There are some strong emotions here, and like any community, there are people who can be abrasive or rude (I encountered one in chat the other night). You cannot be part of a forum like this, engaging in heated topics, without having some occasional conflict.

However, I do think you've raised an interesting point, cyborg - as JW's we were extremely intolerant of other viewpoints. I do a lot of self-reflection to ensure I'm not still suffering some of those lingering effects.

There is nothing wrong with having a good argument, we just have to try not to take it personally.

• JW83
    JW83

I agree with mamochan - 'i'll defend to the death your right to say it' - welcome to the board cv.

• Golf
    Golf

CB, don't worry. I've had some beauts since being on the forum. I consider such ones as childish and I pity them.

Golf

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

There are some sensible people here and some total nutters. In time you learn who to ignore and who to encourage. The trouble is that the nutters get the most attention, which is why some of them act that way in the first place.

For some reason, given some stuff I have seen on the net in general, this struck me as way funny!

CV, the internet is not for the thin skinned at all. It is not the place to air personal business, as it will come back to bite you in the butt in the end. You cannot get "unconditional love" on a message board, & you must invest most of your time & energies in real life. It is easy to get addicted to the net & get suck in a rut!

The witchtower society has as much of an effect on your life as you let it. It only has the power you give it. It's kinda like voodoo that way.

Jeannie, I like a little bit bigger of a font, the regular one can be difficult for people with glasses to read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit