Are we really free or are we just kidding ourselves?

by cyborgVision 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

Hope I can get some positive feedback., and I really mean it, don?t want to offend anyone but ..

Reflecting on your own experiences are people on this website mainly open to new points of views, new ideas, or is this mainly a site for criticizing even when there?s no concrete evidence just for the sake of it. Reason why I?m asking this is because I?ve been a member here for just under a week here and already had unpleasant experience of being dragged into pretty nasty argument just because I dared to disagree with someone. So much so, that I even had to delete one of my postings to preserve peace in discussion but the person simply wouldn?t stop.

I?m just wondering if WT society has left such an indelible mark on some that they simply cannot constructively lay down their argument without resorting to insults, derogatory comments about you and your posting or alike. I mean we all, more or less, fled WT society because we wanted freedom. Freedom of thought, freedom of expression, freedom to be respected for your point of view and freedom from fear that you are going to be penalized just because you disagree in principle with somebody.

(Perhaps it?s the time for self reflection ? after all it?s healthy from time to time)

I?ll appreciate your thoughts.

• Voyager
    Voyager

cyborgVision:

First of all, lets try and get started on the right foot this time, shall we? Both of us got a little heated under the collar on the last post. Right?

I will be man enough to say that I am sorry whether you do or not! But lets don't come over here seeking sympathy! If you do not want to be insulted, then I suggest that (you) don't insult others!

You called me illiterate, and and I posted words that were unnecessary also! Lets be men enough to say that we are sorry and move on! Shall we?

And where exactly is your (concrete evidence), that this site is: as you put it: (a site mainly for criticizing)?

You can not judge the whole site because a couple of guys like you and me got a litle hot under the collar!

Now I have said I am sorry whether you do or not! Now lets move on shall we?

It is entirely up to you!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I think in part, that it's part of the process. Having been told for so long that "independent thinking" is a sin, we finally have a place that we can express what we really think. That's new to most of us, and we kind of flex those muscles....sometimes overdoing it. There's a lot of supressed anger especially when you first leave the borg. I think that the longer you're out, the more mellow you become.

We didn't learn tollerence (sp?...not enough coffee yet) in the borg. That takes time and maturity. Debating and argueing is fun...it's when it becomes personal that it crosses the line. Sorry if you have had a bad experience. There are a lot of great people here. Sometimes someone just hits a nerve.... Stick around...I think you'll see that the good far outweighs the bad...and by the way, Welcome!

Coffee

• under74
    under74

Well, I read all the posts on that thread and honestly it wasn't as bad as some threads I have seen (and been in)--just check out some of the political threads. I often times can't believe that so and so believes what so and so believes but many times in the end I find that it's just a disagreement (or even a miscommunication/misunderstanding over the internet) and they really aren't bad people. People just disagree is all. I don't think you were wrong in that you wanted concrete evidence but some people have left the WT because of the whole UN thing so you can probably understand emotions running high about it.

I understand what you mean though, I think some ex-JWs still have the "I'm right, you're wrong" frame of mind. I've been guilty of it as well. It's hard to let go of a way of thinking.

BTW if you write the UN they can actually give you a letter. Also there is a lot of info on freeminds.org. Just in case you actually want evidence on it.

• talesin
    talesin

Some people just enjoy being contentious.

[ edited ]

Good luck!

talesin

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

My own take on it is that this sort of thing shows how free we are. Instead of all bleating along to the official line we discuss, debate and even argue. I must say I see the point you made as valid and I too would not pursue the point regarding the plane usage without further evidence of involvement or site it as a ?smoking gun?. That is not to say others may run with it to their advantage.

In my opinion a discussion however heated should never leave the thread. I've seen excellent arguers on other sites argue on one thread and back each other on another at the same time.

As for the point of this website http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87993/1.ashx

• undercover
    undercover

We're free to think for ourselves and form opinions on subjects that used to be taboo when we were JWs.

Like the UN thing. Most JWs just spout the company line of the UN being the wild beast and don't have a clue otherwise. You're typical dub could not keep up with the debates that happen on message boards when it comes to politics.

Now that we realize that we can debate things fomally forbidden and we can have our own opinion we sometimes get too zealous and go overboard in defending our position or arguing a point. I know, I've done it myself.

• Voyager
    Voyager

Those replies above show some very understanding and reasonable thinking from those posters. Humility tells us, that the words (I am sorry) will be used on a regular basis, whether we receive those words back or not!

Thanks!

• trevor
    trevor

CyborgVision

There are some sensible people here and some total nutters. In time you learn who to ignore and who to encourage. The trouble is that the nutters get the most attention, which is why some of them act that way in the first place.

If you just want sensible discussion with sensible people you will find it here but you will be overlooked for the most part. The most absurd of contentious threads get the most replies.

Every so often you may get a bit bored and decide to wind up a nutter, for a bit of fun and to feel more involved. A bit like misbehaving at school to get attention. So we all serve a purpose.

Happy Hunting

• under74
    under74

Voyager- he hasn't been on the board for even a week yet (and may have gone off-line for the day)...give him a break.
    You said your peace. You shouldn't expect anything back except your peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit