My Bethel Memories

by ithinkisee 92 Replies latest members private

• mouthy
    mouthy

I found all this very informativeWhen you think us poor Mothers dragged out kids door to door Had Husbands that beat us. All serving a bunch of SAINTS at Bethel _NOT!!!!

(Your post makes me think he realized that Bethelites are no better Christians than anyone else.)Quoted by some one on this thread >>> THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS!!!

-

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

exactly Grace.

Ok, I'll have to search my poor old memory and think of any stories to tell. We usually just gossiped about who was hungover on our assignment and what GB's wife is decorating her romm with what. The housekeeps mainly weren't paid attention to much. We were women in a good old boys world.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Excellent thread! I love reading about this Bethel stuff. It's like seeing behind the curtain of the great and powerful Wizard of Oz.

I seriously thought it was holy spirit that gave him his ping pong ability
    "This place smells like a SHITHOUSE."
    Satan as a debased, wicked, evil, father of the lie, BASTARD

Truth man that was the best post I've ever read. I seriously can't stop giggling. Those are my three best bits

• mouthy
    mouthy

Joy my blood boiled reading all this....God only knows how any one living this way could believe they were serving God!!!

Sorry to be such a bitch!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

TheListener

"One of the reasons that ex-bethelites don't talk much about bethel is because it's drilled into us that bethel is our family and you don't spill personal family information to outsiders. What happens in the family stays in the family. Very cult like mentality now that I think about it."

As I'm reading this thread I'm thinking of so many stories I could tell, suppressing that internal voice, "You can't talk about that, this is private Bethel family business". When I finish my secular project, I'm going to start TELLING. ithinkisee, I like this thread. Wish I would have seen it sooner.

"I personally never witnessed or heard about much gay stuff."

About 1969 nearly 30 were kicked out, including a prominent Gilead instructor, for "gay stuff". Combined with my own paranoia I got so I was afraid to take a shower. We need to get all the ex-bethelites together some time. Grace, Not all Bethelites had BA's (bad attitudes) Some of us were SR (self-righteous) and it was those that you thought were a good Christians at Bethel. But all of us SR's became BA's in the exit process, so I guess the BA's at Bethel were way ahead of us SR's. I'm sorry you suffered on this journey and we who are reflecting do not take that lightly. But it is funny to reflect on the parady we thought was theocracy. Jst2laws

• mouthy
    mouthy

O.K. I guess your right sweetie. You know me!!! I suffered SO MUCH as a JW ...Put my Kids through pure hell ( now they are DEAD! ) when I read what a good time was being had by those I believed were GODs chosen. I lost it for the minit. But as always you come to my rescue ....I love you

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Grace,

You are a great person. I hope you keep reflecting on the people you have helped. I failed my little brother who died at 18 in what may have been suicide, and I watched my father die an agonizing death as he slowly drowned from the fluids pumped into his body because he refused blood and his JW "advocate" failed to assure the doctors he could have the albumin he needed to control the perfusion of Ringers Lactate into his lungs. I was silent and powerless as an apostate member of the family observing the inevitable consequences of the twisted Watchtower teachings blosoming into our fatal reality.

But I'm past the anger and grief. I'm glad you have learned to cope too.

Jst2laws

• keeshah
    keeshah

A question for all you ex-Bethelites...

Didn't you guys report each other's wrongdoings to the elders? Or was there a lot of "I cover your butt if you cover mine?"

I ask this because I was the one responsible for one of my best-friends getting df'd.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

My mother attended Gilead School for missionary training in 1970 at Brooklyn Bethel (long before she was married and I came along, back when they still accepted single sisters!)...she didn't talk all that much about it, but I remember her telling the story of this one fellow Gilead classmate from Europe who suddenly disappeared. No one knew where he went too, but finally they found him living in the Gay district in New York! I found it almost unbelievable to hear at the time, as a loyal "goodie-good" young witness. That must have been so shocking and unusual I thought! But after reading all these threads I can see that it shouldn't have been so surprising after all.

toronto_guy

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Keeshah,

There was a great variety of people at Bethel and you seek out those of your own kind. There was a lot of snitching but those who were comfortable with their level of disregard for Bethel rules ussually hung with others of like attitude. When something got uncovered often a batch of guys would get kicked out at the same time, like ithinkisee's band friends.

It seemed to me to be a treacherous "big brother" like atmosphere. Fear of getting caught, something a little as skipping the family Watchtower study, kept many in blind compliance. I now admire guys like ithinkisee for their individuality.

As for your friend, if she left the organization, you did her a favor. I hope you don't feel too bad about what you did. Imagine having been one of those elders that sat on her judicial committee and now being out of the org. As an example:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/64881/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/64881/1.ashx

I am so damn angry that I had anything to do with this whole *&^$#%^& thing. I wish I could go back and stand up during one of those judicial meetings and give this lady a hug and tell her 'lets walk out of here right now'. 'Lets go read Ray Franz's books together, or Carl Oloff Johnston's, or Jim Penton's book, or lets get on JWD and meet some real people.' Too late for Jane.

We need to get back to sharing old Bethel stories.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit