My Bethel Memories

by ithinkisee 92 Replies latest members private

• Balsam
    Balsam

Thanks to all you ex-bethelites,

Having been a witness over 30 years from the 70's to the 90's knew many. But boy they were so closed mouthed about what went on up in Bethel. Only would tell the nicey nice stuff to the you boys in the congregation. I had one son who wanted to do art work and be accepted in Bethel before he was killed in an auto accident at 15. My other two son would have loved to have gone if they had just know how much horsing around was taking place. LOL Anyway we all left, and I'll have tell them about all your escapades. Sounds just like college to me. But of course bethel was suppose to be full of young devoted JW's. Yah now we know really it was not so much that way. Thanks for sharing. Didn't realize you got $90.00 that is more than I thought you all got.

Balsam

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Wow! Thank you all for sharing. Great stuff. Absolutly.... normal.

My own experience: It was November 1974 just before my 18th birthday and we went on one of the first tours from Portland, Oregon. I was with my older (by 20 years) sister, her husband, and a girlfriend of mine and her older sister. We had a great time. We stayed in the Commodore Hotel above Grand Central Station.

Well, I walked my poor feet to death. We had a tour of the factory and because my feet were so swollen, the only shoes I could wear were blue fuzzy slippers. So I walked the factory in blue fuzzy slippers. I got a lot of smiles and a few laughs from the workers. I was glad I could break up their monotony with a giggle. I also got some scowls from some of the apparent foremen or bosses. Fuzzbutts.

• heatherg
    heatherg

I remember when my girlfriends and I were all teenagers, it was the thing to do to go on the bethel bus trips at least once a yr. if not twice. Only went to pick up the "hot" brothers there. They all came back with tons of phone numbers. Plus alot of them would sneak outta their hotel rooms at night to meet up with the bethelites and do "things"! God Bless Them! hg

• Room 215
    Room 215

In an earlier post, I mentioned a recent trip to a local Assembly Hall to catch up on the latest in JW rhetoric -- which incidentally sounds pretty much like it always has.

While being regaled with exhortations to elevate the importance of meeting attendance to the status of that approaching a patient on life support, I couldn't help but chuckle as how so many -- not all, mind you, but many Bethelites during my tenure there in the late sixties, honed their skill at ducking meetings to the level of fine art.

Because it was policy that work assignments took precedence over all other obligations including and especially meetings and field service, many would find some pretext to stay back and piddle away at their desk or workbench. This was particularly true of the stafers assigned to the maintenance of the Bethel home.

For those assigned to weekend reception duty at 124 Columbia Heights, the building in which most of the higher-ups live, their first order of business on Sunday mornings was to go to the Hotel St. George newstand and pick up a bunch of Sunday New York Times, to deliver to the doors of bigshots like Knorr, Suiter, Couch, et al. Because these fellows so frequently lazed about the home, sleeping in, rummaging around the kitchen, etc, in casual clothes, we dubbed gthem ``the Ban-Lon'' brigade in reference to the polo shirts they favored on such occasion.

Of course, none of this inhibited them in the least from intoning solemnly on the vital importance of regularity in meetings and service whenever they took to the podium.

Or take the plight of anyone assigned to work on a project the Society deemed a top priority, such as the Watchtower Farm construction when I was there.

When ordered to shape up to move up to the farm for the job, we were laughed at when asked about bringing along ``nice'' clothes for meetings and service. In short, all we encountered was wall-to-wall work, often through the weekends and onto the the following week, and absolutely no contact with the local congregation. About the only meetings we attended were an hour's family Watchtower study on Monday, which we attended in overalls or jeans.

For such jobs, the Society would often call in to Bethel any special pioneer or circuit overseer who had specialized construction skillls. You should have seen the looks on their faces when their ovcerseers told them they wouldn't be excused from work just to go to a meeting or out in field service! (Wesley Benner, the CO who hounded Ray Franz, was one such guy). Many of these types proved to be as naive as the newest new person when it came to believing the Society's rhetoric about the sanctity of meetings and service.

This is getting long, so I'll limit myself to two last reflections, real quick. You servants, remember you we're urged to be reliable? One time when assigned to pick strawberries at Mountain Farm on a Tuesday, it got late and we were not finished. We were sent back to pick after dinner by the headlights of several pickup trucks. When I requested to make a phone call to the book study to tell them I wouldn't show up to conduct, I was told to forget it.

At the assembly, the dubs were urged never to submit to a boss's orders to overcharge or cheat in any way. I couldn't help but think that in almost 40 years of full time work, the only one who asked me to do something dishonest was my Bethel overseer (i.e. to hide several gallons of paint thinner which were over the allowed limit as a city inspector was on his way to the shop). My roomate, who worked as a plumber, was once assigned as a lookout while others finished unlicensed plumbing work in the Greenpoint Avenue Assembly Hall.

Of course, I still have many pleasant memories of the place, mostly of the comraderie and mutual commiserations of friends I made, many of whom turned out to be friends for life -- some still there, others out, loyal JW and ex-JW alike -- and for some of the dear, sincere older members of the family, now all gone.

But I must say that it's rare for anyone to go through the Bethel experience and come out with his/her idealism intact.

Thanks for listening (reading), whatever....

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I guess I was considered one of those hot pioneer sluts.

I visited Bethel many times as both my roommates had boyfriends there. I was not attached to anyone. Whoo Hoo!! So yes I was very aware of all the makeout sessions my roommates had, all the underage drinking and the what happens at Bethel stays at Bethel policy.

Too bad these talented, intelligent young folks were not spending these years in college instead. Oh but college is bad due to the underage drinking and the makeout sessions. How silly of me!!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

love the stories.

I used to roll my eyes at the pioneersluts who would visit bethel, NOT listen to my bethel tour and then see a hot brother? ask to borrow his bible and leave their phone #s in the brother's? bible. (I was a self-righteous married sister at the time. One of youngest there then. )

And don't forget the housekeepers had a lot of stories we shared with one another during breaktime.

• Golf
    Golf

Chalk it up to experience, welcome to the real world, blood sweat and tears.

Golf

• doogie
    doogie
    remember when my girlfriends and I were all teenagers, it was the thing to do to go on the bethel bus trips at least once a yr. if not twice. Only went to pick up the "hot" brothers there. They all came back with tons of phone numbers. Plus alot of them would sneak outta their hotel rooms at night to meet up with the bethelites and do "things"! God Bless Them! hg

yeah, time would freeze whenever a tour with young ladies would come through the dining room. we'd dare each other to do stuff (blow a kiss, flex the guns, etc). when you work and live with nothing but dudes...well, women get some attention (especially up at the farm. we were so cut off from everything. the nearest good sized town was middletown, over a half hour away.).

we'd fight to wait on the guest tables during lunch.

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Yeah I remember we used to rate the babes on tour. We used to have a top 5 for the week.

If there was a hot babe in the tour, we would slap high fives right after the tour left. If they only knew...

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Were there any stories of bethel guys nailing girls on the tour?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit