My Bethel Memories

by ithinkisee 92 Replies latest members private

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Nailing right on the tour would probably grab some attention. I'm sure some of the tour encounters eventually led to nailings though.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I never went to bethel other that the tour but we used to hang out with all the bethelites and go snow skiing... I guess it was only the one's with rich folks at $90 a month! I always thought it was funny that the bethelites that were with us at the assemblies were the one's who were doing all the things that the KM always said don't do!

One year at the holiday inn in Rochester after the assembly four of the bethilites were seeing how many times they could run up the wall and backflip into the bed without stopping (yes alcohol was involved) and one of them stuck his foot right through the wall.... (luckily it went into a stairwell) they made up some story and got away with it...

The bethelites were always the craziest guys around!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

At the same assembly there were several bethelites sleeping with some of the sisters... I don't believe they were ever caught!

• doogie
    doogie
    The bethelites were always the craziest guys around!

damn straight!

• Swan
    Swan
    Only went to pick up the "hot" brothers there. They all came back with tons of phone numbers. Plus alot of them would sneak outta their hotel rooms at night to meet up with the bethelites and do "things"! God Bless Them! hg

It's so nice to hear that even though most sisters weren't accepted at Bethel, they still found ways to help out there.

Tammy

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Like I said, I had a roommate that I walked in and found him on top of her.

I walked in and was like. . . "uh. . .hey. . . .what's up?" I grabbed a CD or something off my desk and walked out. Came back a couple of hours later and my roommate was apologizing profusely to me. For days afterward. Now that I think back, as a single Bethelite I could have gotten some perks from this little discovery.

Naw not really, I'm not that evil. I just told him, "Look, you're not the only guy here with hormones. At least you didn't try to jump on top of me." (Yes, that's my smalltown homophobic joking coming out.) I just told him that I didn't really want to walk in and find that situation happen again, because it made me feel awkward to see his meek little single sister Bethelite around Bethel after that.

He is still at Bethel and quite important (and quite single still I believe). The girl married another Bethelite and is still at Bethel. All these little secrets they all harbor is kinda like a Bethel version of Desperate Housewives or Twin Peaks (for those that may remember Twin Peaks anyways. . . my hands down favorite TV show of all time).

Man it was funny though, and one of my favorite Bethelite stories to recount to discerning people that are still Witnesses. Heheh.

Good times. Good times.

These are the stories that make me smile in spite of the coming drama in my life. Heh.

-ithinkisee

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Like I said, I had a roommate that I walked in and found him on top of her.

I misstyped. That should have read:

Like I said, I had a roommate that I walked in and found him on top of his single Bethelite girlfriend.

-ithinkisee

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I only knew the French Bethel (5 years there); smaller size (about 250-300 people back then), much less "spicy facts" to tell. Not many scandals in that period (one Branch Committee member who was dismissed and then df'd for financial embezzlement; one case of adultery between a married sister and a single brother... not so much in such a context.)

Anyway, Bethel structure did favor a sort of "high school" mentality, with the corresponding fun and silly games. (The "repentance baptism" in the kitchen sink comes to mind.)

Met very nice fellows there. Learnt a lot on the organisation and on many things, as many young people had a lot of other interests in life.

Generally the rules were not very strictly applied (probably less than in Brooklyn), and having a high-rated job sure provided additional freedom: I was subject to little control of my time (but I worked a lot anyway). After the first few months, seldom attended the "daily text" -- you could come to the dining room after the official breakfast was over and have your own breakfast with the leftovers... Never had the least remark for that.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

"Never had the least remark for that." boy, did you get away with a lot.

We missed "morning worship" our table head would counsel us. Miss more than twice and we were marked "weak". Wondering now how hubby ever made it to table foot or head. And on the speaking assignment. lol

• doogie
    doogie
    Generally the rules were not very strictly applied

someone mentioned earlier about how work always took precedent over meeting attendance. for the last 6 months or so that i was out there, i'd attend one meeting a week (i'd rotate which one). i almost NEVER went to bookstudy. no one ever said anything because they just assumed that work was keeping me away.

in the beginning work did keep me away from a lot of meetings but when i realized the elders didn't know the difference, i started to phase out the meetings. and FORGET about field service...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit