My Bethel Memories

by ithinkisee 92 Replies latest members private

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Right before I got to Bethel there was supposedly a big scandal at the Bethel switchboard. Something about two sisters that worked in there and one of the husbands of the switchboard workers cheated on the the one sister with the other sister in the switchboard room.

I may actually be waaaayyyy off on that, but I think it was something like that. Anyways, the solution after that was there always had to be a brother manning the switchboard at all times.

So, if you ever call Brooklyn Bethel and a dude answers - that is why ... or at least it was while I was there.

-ithinkisee

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Looks like the brother did a little switching himself.

I did notice at one point sometime in the 90's that a dude would answer the phone instead of the sister.

...and THAT'S the REST of the story...

• IT Support
    IT Support

Memories! A few years ago I went back with my wife and on Sunday morning we went to Starbucks instead of going to the meeting. We had a leisurely morning, eating and drinking and reading the New York Times. I was still a loyal JW at the time, but hey, we vere on vacation!

What creased me up, though, was the number of Bethelites also there, skipping the public talk and hurriedly underlining Watchtowers, before going in late to the KH!!

I remember once a tour came round and I was working away at my desk (we weren't supposed to stop to talk to tours, otherwise we'd never get any work done). One day a young sister from my old congregation came on tour, and I felt justified in stopping and talking to her. But we talked so long the tour had moved on, so I left my desk and took her round on the rest of the tour myself. Boy, did I get into trouble! I was hauled up before my department overseer and the factory committee. I only found out later that the tour guide had the hots for her himself, and as he was one of my seniors, he kicked up hell for me behind the scenes. I must admit, though, she was hot!!

By the way, someone earlier mentioned Bob Butler. I knew him well in the '70s, even then he was a 'lifer.' Anyone know what he's doing now?

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

this thread really put a smile on my face (I'm having a crappy day and I have two final exams to take).

I especially liked the "Nigeria" part of the story. Everyone is staring at me because I can't stop laughing.

laters

kaykay_mp

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

wow. Excellant thread. Thank you to all who shared.

As a previous poster said "sounds just like a college dormitory"

To those of you who were gracious enough to share your stories with us, we thank you.

I'm glad most of you carried some memorable/humorous experiencies.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Joyzabel,

We want to hear some housekeeper stories. Pleeeeeaaaassssse...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The amount of beer consumed in the German Bethel (Selters0 is enough to sink an aircraft carrier

• willyloman
    willyloman

What a shame this can't be printed and posted on the info board at the KH. The dubs love hearing good reports from distant lands, especially Bethel experiences!

I took the tour and, as an elder, helped "send" several young men to Bethel, but never served there. Just off the top of my head, thinking about the half dozen guys we sent to Brooklyn, none are still there: Three are long-time DF'd, one inactive, two still in, one marginally so. Two divorced their pioneer sister wives. Every sister I ever met wanted (or said she wanted) to meet a "Bethel Brother" and marry him, as if he came with a guarantee. If anything shows the extent to which this is primarily a SOCIAL organization fueled by peer presssure, this thread is it. Thanks all for sharing.

• Huxley
    Huxley

I arrived at Bethel a nervous, uptight, self righteous pioneer boy of 20.

At Bethel I learned how to work, swear, tell ribald jokes, drink etc.

It was great fun, and I met a lot of amazing people.

I lived in 124 and decided to say "goodbye" to the home overseer who lived on our floor by ringing his doorbell about five times in the wee morning hours.

Sorry George!

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Hey,very interesting guys! Maybe if your "experiences" were printed in the Awake,there'd be more readers and they wouldn't have to cut back production.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit