TODAYS TALKS WAS BORING AS HELL..........

by Mary 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

Hey YAAAAAAWWWWWNN just talking about the public talks makes me yearn for the peace of serta. Honestly, while I do remember some (one or two) nice elders they were all mainly men for the borganization. My Mr.Panda and I were talking about this the other day. For him it was exactly the double standard for certain families and unloving attitudes which sent him away. For me it was the lies lies lies. My last 5 years as a dub I could NOT stand meetings...UGG so boring.

• steve2
    steve2
    This raises another point that's long overdue. If they insist that people bring their babies and small children to two hours of boring lectures, then why the hell don't they have Sunday School for the kids?? Responsible sisters could take turns looking after babies and the older children could learn simple stories, colour in bible colouring books, build a small scale of Noah's Ark.......anything!

I totally agree with you, Mary. There is huge pressure on the whole family being present at the meetings and the expectation that even tiny babies will "behave" themselves.

I think, though, that the Watchtower has dug itself a hole regarding the issue of sensible child care arrangements such as found in church Sunday schools. For decades the Watchtower has placed itself above this type of arrangement and even criticised churches for separating the young children into special services.

Meanwhile, JW meeting attendances are in decline , parents with young children struggle to meet the five meetings a week requirement and in true Watchtower fashion, nothing practical is done to help the parents. To top it off, there is nothing in the meetings that captivate and invigorate the adults, let alone the poor children who have to "behave" themselves through the whole boring process.

• PixieDust
    PixieDust

Going to the meetings was absolute pure torture. How can anyone get excited and listen with eagerness when they've heard the same thing a thousand times before? As for teaching your children to behave at the meetings, there was an elder's wife who told me that I needed to "break my daughter's spirit" because she was so unruley. At the time she was only a year old. So, I just ignored her and did not "break her spirit", I wasn't going to be one of those parents who humiliate their children during the meetings. My brother and I used to laugh and make fun of those kids that got slapped in the middle of the meeting.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Hmmm,

there were many loving elders in my old KH. I truly loved them and felt loved by them. THEY were not corrupt, the system they belonged to was, when push came to shove, they HAD to follow the rules laid out before them and ignore their natural inclinations.

Anyone have the number to Shady Pines?

Dismembered

• Mary
    Mary
    Jez said: I felt so bad for my children at the KH and how late they had to stay up on a Tuesday night. Normal bedtime is 7:30 when they were young, imagine getting them home at 10pm!!!! It was crazy......My dream would have been to run a Sunday school for the children at JW KH.

I suggested to the elders several years ago, that the Thursday night meeting be changed to 7:00pm - 8:30pm so that little kids wouldn't be up until 10:00pm when they're used to going to bed at 7:30pm. Their answer? First of all, I was making too much sense "running ahead of the Organization" and that I needed to wait for the feeble-minded Governing Body members on Jehovah to get their head out of their asses make any necessary changes. As for the chilluns who normally are in bed by 7:30 or 8:00pm?? Too bad---they don't give a damn.

Steve said: I think, though, that the Watchtower has dug itself a hole regarding the issue of sensible child care arrangements such as found in church Sunday schools. For decades the Watchtower has placed itself above this type of arrangement and even criticised churches for separating the young children into special services.

I agree. I remember them always lambasting the churches for having Sunday School, and they somehow thought it was so much better to bore your kids to tears by making them sit through 5 hours of mindless nonsense every week.........I think the reason they won't change it is because they love to see themselves as "different" that Babylon de Great, at any cost, end of story. Like the 1914 doctrine to which they still cling to, they've got the bear by the tail: they can't let go and still save face.

• Gill
    Gill

Bloomin' 'ec! Is it safe to put my head above the parapet yet!

Mary and Jez! Glad you've put your handbags away and have made up!

Mary! You're so funny!

Jez! You've got some great points there!

Anyway, being a JW is not meant for anyone not totally able bodied, a child, any one with a weak stomach or any one with a brain that works! No wonder they're either crazy or driving people crazy! What person in their right mind takes a young child out from 7-10 in the evening and smacks them mercilessly if they cry or whimper. I have witnesses horrors in the smacking room (mothers room) of the KH. I think of some and wonder why I didn't call the NSPCC or Police immeadiately, for the marks left on a tiny child. These people are seriously insane and should suffer the consequences. This includes the GB or FDS who chide brothers not to allow their children to distract from their brainwashing crap schedule.

All the meetings are mind bendingly boring and repetitious! Why is that a surprise. How else do they get to brain wash you except when you're in a stupor.

Haven't been for four years now! My parents invited me the other week to the meeting and I told them, much to their horror that I'd rather die where I stood than go to another crappy meeting again ever. And when I die -- NO KH! (Not that they'd have me anyway).

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

** For decades the Watchtower has placed itself above this type of arrangement and even criticised churches for separating the young children into special services.

Steve,

Well, this is yet another example of taking what's normal and accepted and putting the WTS spin on it (the ONLY God-approved way of doing things....dontcha know!)

They seem to take the sensible and bend over backwards to make it the absurd. It's a trademark of their way of doing things---from the holidays, to the songs they sing, the method of baptism (not in the name of the Father, Son and HS), they purposely go against the grain at every possible chance.

**I agree. I remember them always lambasting the churches for having Sunday School, and they somehow thought it was so much better to bore your kids to tears by making them sit through 5 hours of mindless nonsense every week.........

Mary,

When I first began to go to the meetings, I had five kids from ages 12-10 months. Need I say more about how THAT went?

I SO remember bringing a tiny stuffed animal and putting my little one down on the floor at my feet with it---and my study conductor immediately put the stuffed animal back into my diaper bag! We weren't "allowed" to bring anything to amuse the kids other than WTS-based publications, it seems!

I realized when I moved out-of-state that this had been a "house rule" and other KHs "let" babies and toddlers have small, quiet toys.Looking back, I wish I'd had more gumption and told THEM to stuff it, instead of being so disgustingly obedient!

Later on down the road, I had to attend meetings with our Asperger's Syndrome (Autistic) grandson who also had ADHD. (VERY impulsive and energetic!) and I was on crutches or in a wheelchair a good deal of these years..........NOT exactly a picnic trying to keep HIM sitting quietly!

Annie

• steve2
    steve2
    Later on down the road, I had to attend meetings with our Asperger's Syndrome (Autistic) grandson who also had ADHD. (VERY impulsive and energetic!) and I was on crutches or in a wheelchair a good deal of these years..........NOT exactly a picnic trying to keep HIM sitting quietly!

That sounds completely frustrating and so trying for you. I think it is such a shame that the JWs refusal to accommodate the special needs of children makes it so much more difficult for parents who are already struggling. Worse, the most the Watchtower has to offer is stern admonition to discipline your child.

• Gill
    Gill

You remind me of one of the 'nicer' elders in our old cong. A poor sister has a son with ADHD and autism. He had run into a quiet road out on field service. The elder grabbed hold of the boy and severly spanked him in front of every one. He turned to the mother and father and told them, 'that's how you keep them under control'. They were both upset but said nothing to him at the time.

She complained many times that ALL the elders were telling her that her son was 'Bad' because they did not discipline him enough. 'Use the rod' was their loving advice.

Stupid cabbage brains!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I think the Subject shouldn't say "Today"....it should be "Everyday the Talks are Boring as Hell"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit