Was the USA right to drop the Bomb on Japan to end WW2?

by stillajwexelder 131 Replies latest members politics

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's fascinating to me, to see people find their own opinions more interesting and compelling than Dwight Eisenhower's, or Grew's, or MacArthur's, etc, etc. Arrogance, thy name is dummy.

• seven006
    seven006

Six,

Are you quoting Elmer Fudd again?

I noticed you said Russia did start to invade Japan from the West. You are right. But, they did that on their own without the cooperation of America. That again is another reason it was decided to drop the bomb. The Russians didn't play nice and wanted to be the first to have Shui restaurants in their country.

The arrogance of both the Japanese and Germans started the war. The arrogance of both the British and Americans ended it.

Stupidity breeds stupidity. I'm not going to make a crack about the Bush family here because I don't want to start a war in this thread. But, if I did, it just might fit. But I wont. Forget I even mentioned it.

Dave

• Simon
    Simon

Most people's argument seems to be based on either "they were bad" or "we needed to do it for other reasons"

Yes, the Japanese did some barbaric things and conducted 'total warfare' (although they had germ warfare but refused to use it) but I do not believe that given the circumstances it was the right thing to do. I think it would perhaps have been 'right' a couple of years earlier but the end was in sight and it was unecessary.

Surely the arguments for it happening are also kind of an indictment about the strategy ... why not drop it on Tokyo? ... if the aim was really to put an end to the war and it was **so** necessary ...

Claiming that you needed to do it to 'show the russians' just makes you the biggest bunch of terrorists that the world has ever seen. Enjoy the moment. You must be so proud.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Simon :

The bombs were dropped on undefended targets.

Nothing excuses this. If you think it does then it also excuses ANY action that ANYONE ever takes against the US. Sep 11 becomes perfectly excusable as would nuking any US city. "Hey, we want to show people we are powerful" the most pathetic, pitiful piece of shite I have heard from people for quite some time.

voilĂ  !

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    "I submit that it was the wrong decision. It was wrong on strategic grounds. And it was wrong on humanitarian grounds."

Ellis Zacharias, How We Bungled the Japanese Surrender, Look, 6/6/50, pg. 19-21.

My own personal feeling is It was right on strategic grounds, because Japan wanted out of the war, but wanted/needed to save face. They needed a serious excuse beyond that they were stretched beyond their limits and had used up all of their gasoline and oil. It is widely believed the bomb would allow for that.

War is war. Humanitarianism comes through the Geneva Convention which the Japanese did not honor.

Remember, Tokyo Osaka and Koji were firebombed and the firestorm killed far more people that Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. European cities were firebombed, and far more died there.

It is estimated that to invade Japan would cost 1,000,000 allied lives and 4-5,000,000 axis lives.

AND the Abombs were not the last bombs dropped. 6 days later in Akita an oil refinery was bombed.

THOSE WHO DON"T LEARN FROM THE PAST - ARE DESTINED TO REPEAT IT.

Let's not, ok?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Cheers Brenda

IPSec *hoping to stay logged in*

• seven006
    seven006

Jesus christ Simon, have a coke and a smile.

I didn't see the word "needed" used. They dropped that sucker way before I was born and none of those guys asked me for my permission. I just said the Russians were part of the reason "they" dropped the bomb. I didn't say it was or was not justified.

What would you suggest would have been the best way to end the war?

Dave

• avishai
    avishai

During the Japanese occupation, 13 million Chinese died.

• seven006
    seven006

avishai,

That must have been one hell of a big car accident.

Dave

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

The fire bombing of Dresden was just a devastating as the atomic bombs dropped on Japan. There was no racism involved. If Germany had not surrendered and the atomic bomb was available it would have been dropped on Germany.

The Allies were lucky that the German atomic bomb project was not farther along and there were just a few proto-types of Nazi jet fighters in the air or we would all be speaking Deutsch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit