Was the USA right to drop the Bomb on Japan to end WW2?

by stillajwexelder 131 Replies latest members politics

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I would have liked to see them drop one right off the coast first and then give them the choice... "see what we can do!" Surrender or we'll nuke city _________ They probrably wouldn't have surrenderd so THEN nuke the city! I would also have given them more time say at least one week before I bombed the next city. I am absolutly convinced that you would have had to bomb at LEAST one city and even doing it my way you may have had to bomb both cities...

I hate to stir this pot but I also don't believe that the US would have nuked germany... It's ok to nuke Japs (or any other minority) it's not ok to nuke Caucasians... I think there is still a lot of that attitude in the US.

• upside/down
    upside/down

When I was a little boy I got beaten up by a bully on the playground. I stood and fought for justice because this bully was trying to kick us of the handball court (oh the inhumanity). This bully dwarfed me, yet I stood toe to toe and finally when blows were exchanged proceeded to "defend" myself and my honor and what was right!

Eventually I started to get the upper hand and was sure of victory... when the bully grabbed a hand full of sand and threw it in my eyes and proceeded to beat the livin sh*t out of me. I lost on all counts, hands down and ran home crying and with a broken tooth I will carry till the day I die.

When I told my dad (step-dad, ex-Marine Korean war vet) what had happened, he was pissed AT ME! He asked me why I hadn't kicked the bully in the nuts and thrown sand in his face and beat the livin sh*t out of him and taught him a lesson (my dad never condoned starting a fight)? My dad was all about winning though, if you were FORCED to fight- at all costs. He said that's what they taught in the Marines. You use all means available to WIN. I said I didn't want to do anything unfair while fighting the bully. My dad explained that once engaged there is no "fair fighting", you fight to WIN or RUN. Either option is Ok, but those are the options. I disagreed for a while, but as life went on I understood where he was coming from and now I REALLY UNDERSTAND.

The bully understood these concepts far better than I did, and he used it against me. I should have won that fight and not had the broken tooth I now live with. Live and learn...

Never Again!

u/d (of the had my ass beat by the bully class)

• one
    one

it was unnecessary to that much killing to show muscle

plans for unnecesary killing of people "whosale" can only come from distorted minds.

btw

that is why even by spreading a contadictive message against killing the jw membership grew rapidly some time ago.

• one
    one

Read WT opinion about the issue, i understand the published an article in awake around 1961.

• Golf
    Golf

H.S. Truman once said, "The only thing new in this world is the history you don't know." What's he telling us?

• Simon
    Simon

Typical claptrap from people who should know better but have swallowed the dogma hook line and sinker.

Nothing alters the simple fact and the ONLY fact that matters:

The bombs were dropped on undefended targets.

Nothing excuses this. If you think it does then it also excuses ANY action that ANYONE ever takes against the US. Sep 11 becomes perfectly excusable as would nuking any US city. "Hey, we want to show people we are powerful" the most pathetic, pitiful piece of shite I have heard from people for quite some time.

• one
    one
    H.S. Truman once said, "The only thing new in this world is the history you don't know." What's he telling us?

I take he meant 'i have a good reason for dropping the bomb on civilians "undefended targets" but i wont tell you', Deja Vu?.

• seven006
    seven006

Simon,

What exactly was a defended target against an atomic bomb back in 1945? Would it make any difference if it was dropped there?

There were tens of thousands Chinese that were unarmed when the Japanese invaded western China and murdered them, do you see a difference between that and the dropping of the bomb?

Is it simply the time frame in how quickly people died that bothers you? The tens of thousands of Chinese over a few months or the tens of thousands of Japanese within a fraction of a second? Which one is the bigger atrocity and what is it that decides that factor?

I am in total agreement with you that the whole thing was stupid to begin with. Any holy war with desires to rule the world is stupid. But, it was the Japanese who invaded their Asian brothers and tried to take back the land that was then being held by the British, not the Americans.

It was both the British as well as the Americans that put sanctions against Japan and gave aid to the Chinese. The last straw is when both the British and the Americans cut off the oil to Japan that made them decide to attack Pearl Harbor. This was several months after they had already invaded the many British held countries as well as taking Hong Kong back from the British.

I know you are as fed up with your countries involvement in the middle east as I am with my country. But, please spread the fault to all who share it. In that war, the atrocities fall in the hands of all involved. Not just the Americans.

It was the Japanese who first wanted to show how powerful they were by invading the majority of other Asian countries. You said their is justification for 911 because America wants to show how powerful they are. So with that in mind you must also agree that there was justification for the Americans for dropping the bomb on Japan because the Japanese wanted to show the world how powerful they were by invading most of Asia.

Simon, you are smarter then that. Don't let your anger cloud your reason.

Dave

No. I'm not sure what sort of rhetoric could support the wholesale slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians. The "need to flex our muscles to end the war" argument doesn't really apply as the same could have been accomplished with one bomb. The bombing of Nagasaki, only three days after Hiroshima and far before a true surrender opportunity was afforded Japan, demonstrates with reasonable clarity the savage intent of all involved in the decision.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    The bombs were dropped on undefended targets.

I would respectfully submit to you that for sometime now war has not been just between armies. Its too bad that leaders on both sides shamefully put civilian life at risk. Sad thing is that if the enemy doesnt fight with honor, you cant either. The only reason the Japanese did not invade the US homeland and kill many civilians at the end of a bayonet, was because of the large numbers of persons owning guns at the time in the US. The bomb was merely do them before they do you. Your statement above is not realistic.

If you think it does then it also excuses ANY action that ANYONE ever takes against the US. Sep 11 becomes perfectly excusable as would nuking any US city.

The actions of Germany and Japan were agressive imperialism. Hiroshima occured during Japans imperialism, 911 during USAs imperialism... so ok I can go along with that.

"Hey, we want to show people we are powerful" the most pathetic, pitiful piece of shite I have heard from people for quite some time.

Yes, killing people for that reason is always pathetic, pitiful shite. That was not the reason for Nag and Hiro

IPSec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit