Urgent! Need help - I told my parents.

by filip 311 Replies latest jw friends

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

Well, who's to say that filip is easily manipulated. Yeah, probably with girls--kidding--but he seems on the level in this thread. And his parents seem the approachable sort. When I started to become sidetracked about the truth at that age, my grandparents simply were not having it. I wasn't a teenager in their eyes (with the normal teenage issues). I was just a fellow believer in the organization that needed counseling.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Valis
    Valis

I mean really...at least the Amish have this!

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/may/amish/

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense ... but it wouldn't matter to me or any other adult who you really are. We would be equipped not to tell you anything that isn't your business. A 15 year old can be easily manipulated.
    ok, now i'm not talking about 15-year-olds in general. i'm talking about Filip, ok? so, who here do you think is trying to manipulate him? and how are they trying to do it? you have read Filip's posts - does he not seem bright and inquisitive, and not a wuss, in your view?
  • a friend in need
    a friend in need

kaykay_mp ... most 15 year olds are easily manipulated. They don't have fully developed thinking patterns. They don't have the experience to ignore idiots. Whether Filip is easily lead isn't he whole problem ... the problem is he is approaching strangers for help.

• AlanF
    AlanF

AFIN said:

: AlanF ... if you sincerely felt you were doing all you could to raise your child the best way you know how ... and you find out he/she is on the net asking total strangers for their opinions ... would that not alarm you?

Of course it would. But that's not the issue here. The issue that I brought up is that you advocate harsh punishment for intellectual exploration. I illustrated why that's bad with several real-life examples. You essentially ignored them.

: In this case, Filip, a child is here looking for answers. Your natural response is ... what do you expect, raising him in a minddeadening cult.

Of course! How would you deal with your kids if you found that they had joined, say, the Moonies or Scientology? Beat the snot out of them or try to reason with them? My examples showed how beating up on kids often does the opposite of what one would like, and how allowing kids a good deal of free rein and showing them that you trust them tends to get them to go the way you want. Not that they won't make bad mistakes, or do things you'd really like them not to -- but that you understand that they will do that, and that that's part of growing up. But JWs are taught by the Watchtower Society to ignore human nature and try to fit everyone into the same narrow mold. That's why the JW organization is on the decline.

: Before you take this tack, put yourself in Filip's fathers shoes. Without even knowing what he's up to, your child has actually brought strangers into your house.

Um, getting on the Net is NOT bringing anyone into the house, despite what you've read in The Watchtower.

: Do you condone this? Put the father's parenting skills aside too ... he has the right not to have his house invaded to satisfy a 15 year olds curiosity.

Typical JW thinking here. The house was not invaded. No one entered the house. A stream of bits sent by a server is in no sense equivalent to someone entering the house.

Now, if you really wanted to say that the father has a right to control everything, including information, that enters his house, you'd be on firmer ground. But then we're back to the problem of a father trying to control everything down to the last little bit, eh?

Do you understand what I'm saying? Probably not.

I've noted the fact that you've failed to deal with a single point I've brought up. Again, absolutely typical of JW behavior. I've been online for more than 13 years now, and its always the same when arguing with JWs. Think about that, AFIN.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

AFIN said:

: ... most 15 year olds are easily manipulated. They don't have fully developed thinking patterns. They don't have the experience to ignore idiots.

Good points!

Now answer these questions:

Why do JWs expect 15-year-olds to get baptized? Especially when they don't have fully developed thinking patterns or the proper experience to ignore idiots such as the JW leaders who teach things like life on earth is only about 20,000 years old?

Why do JWs allow children as young as eight years old to get baptized?

AlanF

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    most 15 year olds are easily manipulated. They don't have fully developed thinking patterns. They don't have the experience to ignore idiots. Whether Filip is easily lead isn't he whole problem ... the problem is he is approaching strangers for help.

most 15-y/o witnesses , you mean. yes, he is approaching strangers for help... why is that, do you think? what made Filip so AFRAID to talk to his own father about religious matters...what made him afraid to question anything? hmm..his father, maybe? jehovahs witnesses, maybe? o0o...i think Alan's got you there...

: ... most 15 year olds are easily manipulated. They don't have fully developed thinking patterns. They don't have the experience to ignore idiots.

Good points!

Now answer these questions:

Why do JWs expect 15-year-olds to get baptized? Especially when they don't have fully developed thinking patterns or the proper experience to ignore idiots such as the JW leaders who teach things like life on earth is only about 20,000 years old?

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

Well, of course his parents are not gonna tell him to leave the organization. They are simply not equipped to do that since they are faithful JW's. So, naturally, he is coming to this site because it's chocked full of Ex-JW's equipped to tell him how it's gonna be if he does decide to make a decision--because we've been there, done that, got the crappy t-shirt.

Would you go to a dentist if you had a problem with your foot? (bad analogy, but it's the best i can do)

laters

kaykay_mp

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

Touche, AlanF...

I got baptized at 14, but simply was not ready. I only did it to get my parents off my back, and to avoid reform school, because they loved to hold that to my face to keep me a lil' pious JW. Sure parents hold the reins when it comes to teenagers trying to make their own decisions, but filip doesn't have very long before he comes of age. He'll be able to make an informed decison by getting some advice, when that time does come.

laters

kaykay_mp

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

AlanF ... well after 13 years it's good to see you aren't disappointed. The usual JW response or lack thereof. It is of no concern to me whether you like my answers or not. You know as well as I do that Filip has no business being here. No kids should be allowed.

Put your tongue back in your mouth. Why do catholics baptise babies? How does that compare to 15.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit