Urgent! Need help - I told my parents.

by filip 311 Replies latest jw friends

• filip
    filip

We have just gotten home from sunday-meeting, when my mom ask me if I believe in God and so on. So I tell her, cause you adviced me to be honest. And despite all my fears, she took it very calm, and then told my dad whos also taking it calm, and it doesnt seem like theyre hating me now or want to throw me out of the house.

The thing is. Im still very doubtfull. Constantly I think about if they ARE right, or everything is just rubbish. So we have been talking for an hour or so, just me and my mom. And all the time shes defending the trooth and coming with some good points, so I get all confused. One moment Im doubting and everything my parents and the people in the congregation says seems right.

The next moment Im convinced that there is no "trooth" and I dont believe in it. Im so confused, and were going to have a big talk later today. When my parents talk it just seems so convinsing, and when the people on this site talk, it also seems convinsing.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Don't be confused, concentrate on the facts. As for your life, it took me ten years to fully recover. Leaving the trooth turned me into a man, but it was difficult on my own, a rocky road, and I made lots of mistakes. So, take it one step at a time and remember you don't have to loose your principles or forget who you are to change your beliefs.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi there filip!

Stay calm and be cool there is absolutely nothing to worry about here.

The choice is yours. You decide what you want to do, and don't to be talked into anything by anyone.

Think about what you want.

The doubt is all perfectly normal. I can, and I am sure many others on this forum have had the same experience and it fades in time and with furthur research.

Ask yourself though, 'why would a loving God kill everyone that isn't a Jehovah's Witness?'

Not very likely is it?

Now you can buy yourself some time to think about things by asking for a break from meetings for a while. Or saying that you are not going to go to the meetings for a while. The choice is yours and they can't make you go.

But explain that you're not going to do anything that they'd consider wrong either. You just want a break to think about things.

I don't know how they'll take it. They seem to be doing quite well at the moment. Could be that they thought something more serious was the matter and when they found out that, that's all that was the matter with you ,

they're quite relieved.

Think now, before your 'little chat' with them. Decide what you want. Stick to it.

They cannot make you do anything that you do not want to do unless they threaten you. If they do threaten you, I remember someone posting a reply to you earlier, you could ask why JWs are persecuted in other lands. They'll answer more or less, that it's because they're sticking to their principles and authority figures are trying to force them to do things they don't want to/or don't agree with. You can turn this into your situation. You don't want to.

But remember. It has to be what you want. Not what we say or what they say. What you want. Make sure you know what you want before you go into the 'chat'.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Don't be confused by what your parents are telling you about needing to belong to "The Organization"(tm) to believe in God. God does NOT have an earthly organization to dispence "his truth" through.

This site may help you sort out your doubts about "The Organization"(tm):

Jehovah's Witnesses: A Critical Analysis

Concentrate on the topics that deal with the 'authority of the Watchtower' VS true biblical authority. You can still believe in God even if you leave the Watchtower Society. They are NOT 'God's chosen channel'(tm) as they claim to be.

These two contain many links to important information regarding the Watchtower Society.

NewLight2's Links Page

Johannes Greber's Home Page

Here is one that deals with Mind Control and Cults
    Mind Control - The BITE Model

• filip
    filip

I have already had a "little chat" with my parents, and they were pretty cool about it.

they said, that they will let me decide for myself under one condition: that I would study with a brother for at least 3 months or more, so I could see for myself, and if I then still dont believe in it, they would let me decide.

The thing is I dont know what to believe! A couple of months ago, when I still was on the other side of that line between belief and disbelief, I was wandering around thinking: "what if Im wasting my life with this religion? What if its not true? What if there are no God and there will be no Armageddon, and this is just a waste of time?"

And now, where I have cleared my mind that its all false and I dont believe it, I begin to doubt again. "What if Im wrong? What if I am going to be slaughtered in Armageddon? What if there really is a loving god up there?"

So Im just so confused and I dont know what to do? How can I ever truly find out what the truth is? I mean, if I study with that brother, and he convinces me that there is a God and JW-ism is the true religion, will I believe in it because it is the truth or because I was affected by him and my family to believe in it?

On the other hand, if I seek my answers on this forum I will get affected by the people in here to NOT believe in JW-ism. How can I ever truly find out whats the truth, if the reason why I choose to go either way, is because Im affected by the people around me?

• under74
    under74

You're asking good questions. I think when most people leave or at least wonder about the WTS they wonder if they are making the right decision and whether they are wrong in asking questions.

Look into other religions. JWs aren't that unique. Many religions have claimed or do claim to be the truth. A good source is wikipedia.org. Type in Jehovah's Witness. Also type in Millerites. You'll get a good history as well as links to relions that spawned at the same time. I'd also go to rickross.com. There are a lot of articles about the JWs as well as other religions/cults. There's a section on the webpage that has syptoms or signs of a cult or controlling groups listed.

You're right, you should question the outcome of studying with this brother as well as the way you think after visiting this forum.

• The JellyBaby
  • NewLight2
    NewLight2

Here is one more link that may help you sort out what you believe. It will enable you to study the Bible without using 'watchtower helps' which only serve to clould the real meaning of the Bible.

A Bible Study Outline

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    On the other hand, if I seek my answers on this forum I will get affected by the people in here to NOT believe in JW-ism. How can I ever truly find out whats the truth, if the reason why I choose to go either way, is because Im affected by the people around me?

You're a sharp man to pick up on this. You're right, whoever you talk to is biased to believe what they already believe. We think JW's are wrong, and we defend that position. JW's think they're right, and they defend that position. You're in the middle.

But understand that you don't have two choices -- JW's or us. Your only choice now is to determine is the JW's are the "One True Religion(tm)". Maybe there's another "true religion", maybe all religions are "true", or maybe -- as I believe -- none of them are anything at all.

Don't take on the cosmic question of "Which is the true religion?" as that is a lifelong journey for those that choose to pursue it. Right now, concentrate on deciding whether the JW's claim of being the only true religion has merit.

Can they explain to your satisfaction why they believe that taking a blood transfusion is the same as eating blood? (Would they also say that taking a liver transplant is the same as eating liver?)

Can they explain why they forbid birthday celebrations? (Check out http://thebentinel.com/jw-birthdays.html for a refutation of that JW belief)

Does the Bible really indicate that God's servants should follow "his organization", no matter what it says? (See http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/83217/1.ashx for a discussion of Aaron's leading the people wrong and the people being punished for it.)

I think you should accept the 3-month study, and use that time to show that they don't have adequate answers to these and other points. Don't just read a book with him, have "topical discussions" on the points that you don't agree with.

Good luck!

Dave

• Bryan
    Bryan

Filip,

Sounds like your parents are being rational. Do what they ask. You should look at both sides. Remeber also, you are young, there is no reason to rush anything. And if your parents truly love you (I'm sure they do) they will not MAKE you make a choice.

Here are a coiuple of things that stick with me.

If the bible saying that you should not eat blood means no blood transfussion, then where in the bible does it say you can use parts of it, but not other parts of the blood. Sorry, I don't believe God is whispering in their ear. If so, then God lied to them about the end coming in 1914 and 1975 and end of the generation, ie TODAY.

Also, if you stay in and get babtized, then decide you no longer accept what is taught, your parent will have to turn their backs on you (shun you). You may receive a letter as i did from my 19 year old daughter. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/74715/1.ashx please take the time to read this.

Whether they want to admit it or not, the WB&TS encourage the seperation of family. They are intolerant of others. If you do not believe as them, they do not accept you.

These are the main reasons jws are considered a cult in France. And in my opinion, why they are outlawed in Russia.

Pleas take your time. There is no rush. I remember when I was a servant in 1983. I was say and hearing, that the end could come as soon as two or three years. The witnesses will be saying this until they die.

Most of all, find peace within yourself.

Bet wishes,

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit