Just got back from the 2004-2005 circuit assembly here are a few thoughts.

by PaNiCAtTaCk 106 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2
    Preston- they actually used that urban legend from the stage? This is unbelieveable... don't they have editors. When I was on assembley parts, crap like this was usually screened for validity first. Shock and awe!

Doesn't this show that this type of organisation (closed, authoritarian, fear-based) will use anything - even downright falsehoods - to keep the rank and file in line? I'm sure that at least some of the JWs who present this information either know or have a sneaking suspicion that the warnings contain bogus examples, but what the heck? It keeps the JWs in line - and that's the most important thing. I love the way the audience was described as reacting to this material: audible gasping. And they weren't even watching Jaws!

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

PaNiCAtTtaCk wrote: The district overseer said that he was visiting with a man at the door and he read some books from the society and that they were college level quality. He said that we were getting thousands of dollars worth of education for free and come to find out this man had been the HEAD MAN AT OXFORD UNIVERSITY.

(everyone in the audience gasped with excitment at this point)

Something that I left out was the fact that this man was interested to know if our organization had any schools. So of course he said YES! We have the theocratic ministry school and he wanted to see the book we study at this school so they brought him one back. After reading the theocratic ministry school guidbook and a few magazines the man said that our publications were on a college level and that we were getting a college education that would have costed thousands of dollars for free.

"Thousands of dollars of education" is not a statement that would generally be made either as it is not meaningful to the British due to the differences between University education funding in the UK and the US.

Earnest, this may generally be true of the Cambridge Colleges (though King's has a Provost and Queens' has a President, for example), but at Oxford, the "head' person of the college is variously titled President, Provost, Principal, Warden or Master.

.... and a bursar who is "head man" of the students in that college.

I would have said that the bursar is in charge of the finances, not the students in the college.

Oxford University, England, is a collegiate university with 39 self-governing colleges related to the University in something akin to a federal system.

The current Chancellor of the University is the Rt Hon Chris Patten (a Roman Catholic) who was appointed following the death of the Rt Hon Lord Jenkins (a liberal humanist) - both highly educated men.

I am at a loss to know who could have been meant by the "Head Man at Oxford University' and after a review of the magazines I would suggest that they are in a similar league to Readers' Digest magazines rather than the academic offerings of a respected University.

Oxford University is held to be one of the best universities in England and the world, although latest reports place it only 10th of the world's top 50 universities,

If the DO is faithfully reporting a conversation, then maybe Oxford has slipped further down the league tables than we have been led to believe ;)

On the other hand, each college has a Head Porter whose duties are not of an academic nature............

• Italiana
    Italiana

Ah, the old "World of Aids" urban legend. This is an OLD< OLD< OLD urban ledgend. Here is a link to snopes.com. http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/aidsmary.htm They have EVERY urban legend and just typing in the word AIDS, brings up this. If you are familiar with these, you know they are things passed around, and changed for whatever purpose, like the sister on the cruise ship. I am married to an ex-witness and I don't know how he ever bought this crap. His family gave up yeas ago trying to convert me, only his parents are witnesses, the rest are not. And they are sure I corrupted him. We now go to a non-denominational church and they had to ask if they could still talk to him now. PUH-LEEZE!!! How it pains my husband to see people he has known as a child and when he sees them in public, they look right through him, as he never existed. I guess the same way it pains his parents to come to our house and see the inflatable santa in the yard and see my husband on the ladder hanging lights.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Welcome Italiana - and I think urban legends work a treat with the gullible (and sadly, the elderly) - I saw the ''cruise ship'' one on here last week - wasn't aware of it prior to then.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Sorry guys, I feel an opinion coming on here...

He also said " As long as we are preaching the good news regularly we wont have time to get involved with the things of the world."

Translation: You will not be tempted to go to a real school and find out we are full of s***.

" Is this too low cut? Is this going to cause someone to have unclean thoughts?

Translation: We cannot be held responsible for our own stiffy; blame the chick.

In the ready to obey talk they mentioned that when we get direction from a trusted source we do it "right then!"

Translation: don't allow time for reason to set in.

Went on to give example of a local couple of gave up their succesful business and laid off all the employees to move where they were needed more and do Jehovahs work. It was mentioned that they had some serious money problems but they are now doing ok with the janitorial jobs they picked up and that some brother was renting them a house where they moved in clayton nm.

Is this in spite of their Oxford level education? I'm shocked.

He asked if others are having to carry our load?

Won't even go into the tempation here...

He mentioned that many say its the best book the society has put out in years.

How many times have we heard this about every book that they have had us study?

He read a poem called "daddy wouldnt go" about a father who quit the meeting and his little girl turn into a complete loser all becaue daddy wouldnt go.(you could hear a few sobs from the audience. I couldnt help but think of several friends whos daddys did go and they still turned out losers!)

Nuff said.

AT LEAST THEIR WILL BE ALCOHOL IN THE NEW SYSTEM!!!!! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IVE HEARD THIS!!!!!

My ex will be very happy to hear this.

Jean

• heatherg
    heatherg

The only good part of the assemblies was visiting with friends and catching up with people you haven't seen since the last assembly. Oh yeah, and the dramas, at least there was something to look at, plus the lights were dimmed and you could get away with sleeping better!

• kingdavid
    kingdavid

I am truly amazed how gullible all of you are.

You claim for yourselves that you have exposed "The Lie" but you're hailing the nonsense of a forum newbie (really?) as if it were the gospel truth.

Did it really never occur to you that the one who started this thread might have made up all or most of this himself? Probably not. Why not? Because he was tickling your ears?

I went to the same assembly as well. What did I see? I see hundreds of people being there out of love for their friends, for their neighbours and most of all for their God. These people don't need selfish motives to sacrifice their time and resources to attend a two day assembly, while everybody else just goes to the beach or the mall and "enjoy" themselves.

Now I am visiting this forum and what do I see? People motivated by hatred. People using foul language because they lack arguments for their viewpoint. People who say they have left the organization 20 years ago, but apparently still feel the need to justify that step. Tell me, who is here NOT out of selfish motives? Have you ever actually done anything that is pleasing to God afer you left the organization? Or have you just left for your OWN convenience?

Maybe I have had my doubts also, but I'm grateful for you all to give me a reality check. If I compare the way Jehovah's Witnesses deal with each other with what I find here, I can see that this world is only selfish, obscene and full of filth - exactly as prophesized in 2 Tim 3.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Hey, I've given head at oxford. Does this count?

• observador
    observador

Hey kingdavid,

calm down, my friend! First of all welcome to the forum.

Listen, you started your first post saying that people here are all gullible for believing what another newbie told about his experience in the assembly, and even suggested that he might be making this all up.

Now please, since you said you've been to the same assembly, please tell us what he might be making up, please please...

Remember, I don't want to hear your arguments on whether or not JW is the right religion etc. Forget about that, ok? Just stick to the facts and show how that newbie could be a liar, alright?

I'll be eargerly waiting for your reply. Thanks...

Observador.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

kingdavid,

welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit