Just got back from the 2004-2005 circuit assembly here are a few thoughts.

by PaNiCAtTaCk 106 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Pan,

Thank you for relaying the info to us who no longer attend. I really do appreciate it, especially through your open eyes and heart. (Glad I ain't missin' nuttin').

I appreciate the draw of all your friends. The good memories of when you didn't "know". The dissappointment your wife has. I really feel for you.

Take heart, there are many here who are in a similar position.

Hugs

Brenda

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY
    By the time she got on the plane for home she just couldnt take it anymore she just had to open it right then to see what it was. In the box their was a
    little coffin with a note in it that said "WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF AIDS" (the whole audience gasped for air!) The talk was about remaining clean and obedience to the organization.

I remember back in the mid 80's a "brother" gave a talk and used a variation of this story. He said a brother met a woman at a bar, they had a few drinks, and then he took her home. The next morning the brother woke up, but the women had already left. When he went into the bathroom the women had wrote on the medicine chest with lipstick; "WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF AIDS.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

All those wonderful urban legends, jehovahized for us at the convention and district assemblies. Can you imagine at one time we bought all this $hit that was given out to us...

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

THE HEAD MAN AT OXFORD UNIVERSITY, THE LITTLE AIDS COFFIN & THE LITTLE LOSER GIRL STORIES were probably some of the high points of the assemblies for most who attended.

These stories are clearly fabrications intended to prompt and manipulate the JW trained mind in one way or another.

The head man at oxford who says that JW material is college level reading? This story is conveying the message to the R&f that the WT material is of high quality and those who study it are getting something of great value for free! (so they better start appreciating it!) AND , this WT education makes them extra smart too and much smarter and better than others in the world who don't have the privledge of having this lofty WT education.
    The aids coffin story? Be in fear of worldly people--they are dangerous and devious and will lure you to your death. The sister in this story is a typical WT depiction of a JW woman--who has no mind of her own and is easily lead astray by her own weak womanly out of control desires. Sisters don't trust yourselves--you have no brains!!!

The little girl loser story How do you spell guilt?

It was mentioned that the book studys were being skipped by alot of brothers and that it was ironic that we are studying the "draw close to Jehovah book" He said "this is exactly what satan doesnt want us to do!!" He mentioned that many say its the best book the society has put out in years. He read a poem called "daddy wouldnt go" about a father who quit the meeting and his little girl turn into a complete loser all because daddy wouldnt go.(you could hear a few sobs from the audience.
    cybs
  • stopthepain
    stopthepain

After I had initially left the lie,I went to an asseblie.The district overseer gave a talk,at one point in his sermon,He said"people with hiv/aids live a lifestyle against god,they willfully sin,and reap the results".I remember how pissed I was at this attitude.People are born with aids,people make mistakes,people could have unknowingly contracted aids through other contact.I told my mom how angry that statement made me,of course she said"they are just imperfect men".Maybe if she listened to that advice before ruining my youth,I wouldn't be talking about this crap right now.

I wanted to find the district overseer and tell him how warped he was,but my family protested strongly,saying jehovah would handle it.That assemblie proved 2 things,1-my family is brainwashed 2-thisw organization is not run by god,but by judgemental assholes who think thier better than everyone.{not that I needed much convincing,but it didn't hurt}.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

oh brother....head janitor @ Oxford, more like... i didn't believe that one for a nanosecond. i kept waiting for a name.... hmmm...besides, even if that were true, why should Jehovah's Witnesses be impressed that someone from a worldy institution found favor with their literature? here's the line-up at this prestigious school... practically evetything taught there is against jw's and all that they stand for...(what fabulous hypocrites!)

Divisions & Departments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oxford University > Divisions & Departments Listed below are the five academic divisions of the University of Oxford, with their main constituent units. Please use the links on the right for a complete A-Z list of academic units, administrative departments and institutions associated with Oxford University.
    Humanities Division
    Life and Environmental Sciences Division
    Mathematical and Physical Sciences Division
    Medical Sciences Division
    Social Sciences Division [ See also Department for Continuing Education ] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Humanities Division
    American Institute, Rothermere
    Classical Languages and Literature and Ancient History
    Comparative Philology and General Linguistics and Phonetics
    Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art
    English Language and Literature
    Medieval and Modern Languages
    Modern History
    Music
    Oriental Studies
    Philosophy
    Theology
    Chinese Studies
    History of Art
    History of Medicine Back to top -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Life and Environmental Sciences Division
    Anthropology
    Archaeology
    Biochemistry
    Geography
    Plant Sciences
    Zoology Back to top -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Division
    Mathematical Sciences
    Computing Laboratory
    Mathematics
    Statistics
    Physical Sciences
    Chemistry
    Earth Sciences
    Engineering Science
    Materials Science
    Physics Back to top -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Medical Sciences Division
    Clinical Departments
    Anaesthetics
    Cardiovascular Medicine
    Clinical Laboratory Sciences
    Clinical Medicine
    Clinical Neurology
    Clinical Pharmacology
    Human Genetics, Wellcome Trust Centre for Medical Oncology Molecular Medicine, Weatherall Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
    Ophthalmology
    Orthopaedic Surgery
    Paediatrics
    Psychiatry
    Public Health and Primary Care
    Surgery
    Non-Clinical departments
    Experimental Psychology
    Human Anatomy and Genetics
    Pathology
    Pharmacology
    Physiology Back to top -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Social Sciences Division
    Area and Development Studies
    African Studies
    Brazilian Studies
    Contemporary Chinese Studies (The Leverhulme Initiative) Development Studies (Queen Elizabeth House) Japanese Studies
    Latin American Studies
    Russian and East European Studies
    South Asian Studies
    Economics
    Educational Studies
    European Studies at Oxford
    Internet Institute
    Law
    Management (Saïd Business School) Politics and International Relations
    Social Policy and Social Work
    Sociology omg i just saw this lol
  • Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

PaNICaTack,

Thanks for the synopsis, nice job and well done!

I remember when I first started questioning the WTS, and soon after I was sitting at the DC. I never took so many notes or was ever as alert to what was being said than at that 3-day convention! Did you find yourself more alert and taking more notes at this assembly?

Head of Oxford

What they meant to say was the "Head of an Oxford shirt factory"

As for the AIDS cruise ship story, I've heard that story verbatim a couple of years ago.

I agree with Franklin. Moral of the story, use a condom.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think he meant "Head of an Oxen"

• Jahna
    Jahna

I had to go through this

?Our district overseer came from Michigan. He brought out that during george washingtons day they had a procedure called "blood letting" where they would rid the body of blood. Now they have blood transfusions.?

Interesting, science is again using leeches, it?s been in the news lately as medical science found it is beneficial for some ailments.

?The brother advised sisters to ask themselves before they wear something " Is this too low cut? Is this going to cause someone to have unclean thoughts? (I almost laughed at that!)?

I about busted a gut when reading this one too. Hum a hundred years ago displaying a mere ankle was enough to put a man in arrest. Just thinking about said ankle could and did do it too. So, define low cut. Knees are common sights now as is cleavage! Not showing it may tend to cause arrest! Besides, don?t these fine brothers have self control?

?They warned against being to critical of our congregation.?

Why, we might open our eyes to what is really going on in the congregation?

This one was good

?The district overseer said that he was visiting with a man at the door and he read some books from the society and that they were college level quality. He said that we were getting thousands of dollars worth of education for free and come to find out this man had been the HEAD MAN AT OXFORD UNIVERSITY. (everyone in the audience gasped with excitement at this point) ?

This isn?t the first time I heard this comment, in fact it was used several years ago. Like others have stated, no one can confirm this quote. Also after watching a Canadian program where they interviewed US professors at an Ivy league collage about Canada, I found, you can?t trust even the educated to know anything. (We still put our elderly on ice flows btw *w*) The WT has to prop up their publications to be more then what it is. Or, who would read it.

?"WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF AIDS"?

Well isn?t the WT society so smart to get this one. You know for ?college level? publications they are stupid. This is an Urban legend, and not the first time I have heard the society use this one too. The society has jumped on every Urban legend they can get their hands on and use to support their point of view. Even today my JW parents have to be shown not everything you read is truth, how many times have I shown them the Urban legend website to show them, hey that just ain?t true! Like someone said, today, the man would be sued! And imprisoned!

You know, this recap sounds like almost every assembly I ever went to, not much has changed. Let?s rally the audience with some great ?stories? encourage, while discouraging then, finish off with the great battle cry of ?listen to Jeh.....er Us?

Jahna

• Balsam
    Balsam

Panicattack,

I love it when someone goes to assemblies or conventions and then shares the crazy information. That was priceless. Their bullpoop gets better and better. I remember reading those terrible scare stories to my sons on the way to convention. Pages and pages of them to keep us from leave the care of the WTS. Such nonsense and urban legends they twist around to suit them. That one about the oxford man is so funny. There is nothing about the literature that is college level, it is like reading elementary school books. LOL

You poor dear having to sit there through that, it must have been so hard. And with your wife so very indoctrinated by the WTS. Hope your wife wakes up and sees for herself.

Those so called experience people have on the conventions are so fabricated. Bless you for sharing that.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit