Awake Moving To Monthly Publishing

by Valis 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Also, what of all that money spent on new state of the art printing presses designed to increase their output of magazines with less manpower to support them for branch offices around the world. If they've had this in the works for awhile, and there's no reason to think they didn't, if I were a R\F member I'd be pissed after listening to them "poor mouth" begging for donations to support such a decision.

What a collosal waste of money.

• coldfish
    coldfish

wow that is big news. Also I didn't realise subscriptions were out either. I've only been out of the JW for 14 months and so much has changed already.

What has always hacked me off about all the magazines is that each fortnight xx million copies were printed of both the Awake and WT, in nice full color on reasonably glossy paper, not easily degradable.

Though not an ardent environmentalist, printing trash for the sake of it eg womens magazines, Awake and weekly supermarket flyers.. it really adds up on the effect of forests and the environment etc. Lets hope in a few years the publishing company stops printing the awake all together and makes the WT monthly.

Also I wonder how it will affect report slips for magazine placements. I only ever had 1 or 2 regular RVs that I could hand out mags to and I'd visit as often as I could just to put something on my report card.

To keep up a good mag total more work will have to be done in the first call work and a lot more emphasis will have to go on distributing the WT, and most people in my town hated the WT cause it was too religious but they could be conned into taking the odd interesting Awake.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've been out since 1988, so its getting harder for me to gage what they are doing, but here's a possibility. It makes sense to me as a business model. What got me thinking about his is that it will be harder to offer the two magazines at the door together.

The Awake will become a monthly magazine offered to the outside world. They may put more actual religious material in it, but geared for public consumption. The Watchtower will become an "internal only" publication where they can put all those articles about "stay close to the organization or be shunned" out of the public eye.

They have to do something. As noted earlier, people aren't buying what they're sellling.

• dh
    dh

This is good to hear, it will save trees.

• Fleur
    Fleur

I guess they have finally run out of ways to tell teenagers not to masturbate LOL

Oh, what will become of JW youth without Young People Ask, or with only half of it? Maybe they'll double up and take out the meaningless nature articles that never have anything to do with anything..."The antelope and you...and why you should be like Antelopes who don't abuse themselves..." now there's an article for ya.

essie

• steve2
    steve2

Gosh! What unkind people you are. Here we are facing the prospect of a significantly reduced frequency of receiving the wonderfully upbuilding Awake! magazine, and not one of you has mentioned one single word about the neccesity to acknowledge the very real feelings of loss and grief we must all be experiencing as we contemplate this terrible change.

There are roughly four stages of grief and I'm just too caught up in the first stage (shock and numbness) to continue this post. You must excuse me...I feel myself about to pass into the second stage: anger over this significant loss. I'm so angry that the lovely magazine will only be half what it used to be.

• JeffT
    JeffT

OMG! I didn't think about this. It's now going to take 8 years for dubs to graduate from college.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Very interesting. Please post when we receive definite word in the KM.

SNG

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I was under the impression they hired outsiders to do the printing a few years ago. I had JW relatives that lived by the Watchtower farm that told me that.

So they will save some money? Could be the motive. More pocket change for the "Bigwigs" no doubt.

Snoozy..

• brokenfairy
    brokenfairy

since we all prob wouldnt be the only ones questioning this....is it possible they may start saying the preaching work is comin to a close? since the belief is that the end of this system is so very near at hand?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit