Watchtower Observer site goes down

by Norm 149 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, you just need to configm which email account is linked to PayPal.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

"I do server administration, you might be aware of that already. If the money is there I would rent the server and set it up and also maintain it, move the existing domains to the new server, etc. Someone else would have to build the site, I have limited time and only part of the necessary skills." -- Kent

Kent,
    I remember reading a post on some forum sometime ago that you wanted to purchase an expensive server - did you ever do this?

And if the answer is "yes" - Do you own the above server operation that you are referring to?

Newlight2

• Pole
    Pole

I'm back from my weekend business trip.

Quotes,

Pole, keep in mind that you don't have to re-invent the wheel: there are many, MANY Open Source Content Management Systems to choose from; in fact the hardest part is just the selection process itself. I have been looking at these a *LOT* lately, and my current top picks are, in no particular order, (and please don't flame me if I don't mention your favourite):

Good points, but I was just mentioning the initial data transfer stage (from XML to SQL).

Simon,

In fact, if they are providing XML then a few XSLT stylesheets should enable versions of the site to be created.

Yeah, this data could be used right away in this way (depending on the quality of the DTD). But if it's necessary to move it to SQL (just for greater flexibility of management), then I can offer help here.

I personally think that lightweight hosting is best - have the Db and maintenance done off-line and then publish a set of static files (as there is no real live run-time requirements). This will dramatically reduce hosting costs and allow many many mirrors to be setup cheaply and easily.

That's a good idea.

SNG,

I also have experience with XML and MySQL, but my experience with Java is limited. Like Euphemism, I have a lot of experience in .NET, C# specifically. I've also written many applications in PHP, but after working in .NET it's kind of hard to go back to that. Currently I work in MS SQL extensively, so I'd be up for that too.

Actually I was thinking of using Java only for the initial data transfer (any other programming language with an XML API could be used for this purpose). I have done this kind of work before. Once in SQL the data would be really flexible for further development.

But I generally think Simon has a good idea (static clones of the site that can be hosted by many folks with the dynamic DB only available for the developers).

Pole

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Just a thought, but it looks to me like most of the material on the site could not be remotely considered copyright infringement. Maybe we should consider segregating the challenged material on a separate site? (And I don't care if WTS lawyers are reading this, I'm sure the idea's occurred to them.)

Also, two questions for Kent:

1. What kind of traffice/bandwidth usage does the site have?

2. Were the only legal charges copyright, or were there also concerns over libel or other laws?

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    Kent needs to retain the "observer.org" domain for himself because of business reasons. He explained this in one of his posts on this thread.

That's fine - surely he doesn't need the watchtower subdomain for work. As Simon pointed out, he should be able to point that domain to the new site. By all means, we ought to keep the original domain name. It's like an established brand. It will be much, much easier to get traffic to the site if we stay with the existing domain name.

ITSupport:

Chinese hosting companies are easy to find. Since we'll probably be using pretty mainstream technologies (perhaps as basic as XHTML and CSS on the hosted server), I think we can defer discussio of potential hosting companies until after we have the site basically put together.

SNG

(Waves at WT lawyers - you know you guys are working for the dark side, don't you?)

• Kent
    Kent

The email is: [email protected] Nothing more problematic :)) I was just looking for a number or something - and couldn't find it...

• Kent
    Kent

No, I never did - and no, I don't own anything of this. If I did, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Some while ago I was discussing if anyone wanted to take over the Watchtower Observer, yes. But it all boiled down to nothing. So, I kept it going - untill my ISP was obviously scared by the Watchtower and took the easy way out - demanding an amount om money nobody could be willing to pay for a site like this.

As far as I know, there is people here willing to do the neccesary job to make the exported data awailable in PHP - which should make them possible to use on most any server running MySql. I'm not a techie myself, but I will provide the files to those willing to do this job as soon as I've got them

• Kent
    Kent

1. What kind of traffice/bandwidth usage does the site have?

It's a long time since I was looking at the stats, and the stats never told me about bandwith use. But I'd say a normal week would be between 35 and 40.000 page views. As it was constructed, it was only a small copy of any image on the page. This could be klicked to see the full size image. The sections that did have the most visits was news, Jehovah's Witnesses and Society (JWs as criminals) and doctrine.

2. Were the only legal charges copyright, or were there also concerns over libel or other laws?

The only charges are copyright. They do complain about the "Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock" and the BO Letters. Also, they found the "Bethel manual" and complained about that.

The Letters
    I'm not sure they can legally complain about the letters. Newspapers all over the world publishes letters as evidence of their claims, as I do in my normal job as editor of a small magazine. The fact the Watchtower hates it doesn't mean it's illigal. I'm certain nobody could win in court if they wanted them away.

"Secret books"
    I'm not so sure they could win a case on "The Flock" book either. The reason is this:

On Norwegian television the JWs claimed we were "quoting out of context", reffering to "The Flock" book. They also denied the information claimed to be in there. But they were lying. This can be proven by evidence. So, it's neccesary to not only quote the sections we need (which isn't all that much, since most of the book is braindead crap), but we need to have it in context. This because that was the Watchtowers own line of reasoning on Norwegian television.

Also, in Holland a court case was won about the "secret" files of the Church of Scientology. It's a question about copyrigt of fraud and swindle, and the watchtower claims they have no secrets. They CLAIM to give away all their literature for free - and can't claim economical losses. Just to mention a few points.

Also, they go after a few sites. Mine is one example, while I can prove they know of other sites in Norway carrying the same documents - and they have NEVER done anything to get rid of them there! This is evidence - which I gave to the police when they tried to get me via them - which ended up with the police dismissing the case the last time.

So, if someone do have brass balls, there shouldn't be all that much problems. The Watchtower will, of course - scream. Theyr lawyers will scream - but why don't we just let the bastards scream

After all - we do have a damned, good point:

WE CAN EASILLY CLAIM THEY WANT THIS AWAY TO PROTECT THEMSELVES IN COURT CASES OF CHILD ABUSE. THESE LETTERS ARE DANGEROUS IN COURT CASES - AND AS A PEDOPHILE PARADISE THEY NEED THEM AWAY

Good point - or what?

• Kent
    Kent

That's fine - surely he doesn't need the watchtower subdomain for work. As Simon pointed out, he should be able to point that domain to the new site. By all means, we ought to keep the original domain name. It's like an established brand. It will be much, much easier to get traffic to the site if we stay with the existing domain name.

That's true. I will make that domain awailable, and I will redirect anyone to the new domain. Because there is thousands of links, I will also redirect any 404 Error message to the frontpage of the new site as well. There is no need to have a message on the "original" domain to explain why the domain has changed, but it should be on the new one. This because any links to anywhere inside the site itself will be broken, and everyone will go to the new site. Maybe the redirect should be to a special page explaining what happened, and then visitors can just browse on in the new site?

The Watchtower subdomain will be used only for redirecting to the new site. Besides this, it would be a great thing if the Witchpower Babble & Crap Society could still use the old URL, and still find their crap :)

• IT Support
    IT Support

Simon first wrote:

And yes, if nothing else is arranged then send the money to me and I will either forward it on or arrange payment directly (if Kent can let me know which he prefers).

But then said:

Just to clarify though ... Kent has said he has a PayPal account so it would be better to send it straight to him IMO.

It makes no difference to me, but Kent wrote:

The best would be, of course, if it all came in one go.

So Kent would prefer if one of us collected the funds then sent them to him all "in one go."

Not only that, I suggest we'll need a 'treasurer' anyway to hold our funds (small as they may be) to pay for hosting, etc..

So, thanks Simon.

Within the next few days, would everyone who has pledged funds please:

• Send Simon a PM asking for his Paypal email address;
    • Log on to Paypal, select the 'Send Money' tab, and complete the form.

(Important: In the 'Category of Purchase' box, select either 'Goods' or 'Service': do not select 'Quasi-Cash' or you are likely to be charged a fee--in the UK, anyway!)

• That's it!

Thanks again to everyone who's making this possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit