Watchtower Observer site goes down

by Norm 149 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Put me down for $100

Also, I'm sure I can contribute technically if required.

I'd be happy to use my PayPal account but I don't think it would really help much - I could only widthdraw the money to my bank or send it on to another PayPal account. It's easy enough to setup a PayPal account and sending it straight to Kent would be easier IMO. Or will this company accept payment via PayPal or CC from someone else? If so, I could do that.

Re: the hosting - you can get a dedicated server for quite a low amount (around $79 - $99) but it may not ne necessary. While the content may be dynamic, the site doesn't have to be - when things are updated a publishing process could be run to generate it as static files which could then be hosted very cheaply in multiple places.

In fact, if they are providing XML then a few XSLT stylesheets should enable versions of the site to be created.

• dh
    dh

bling bling, so who do we pay? how's that paypal account coming...

• Kent
    Kent

OK, I have myself an PayPal account. So, that problem should be fixed :))

• Kent
    Kent

Thanks, Simon. I have a PayPal account now, so that shouldn't be a problem. I suddenly remembered I made one "ages ago", but I never really used it much. But, it was still there, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The ones who would like to host The Watchtower Observer need to be aware of a fact:

As soon as the site is up running the Watchtower will start trying to get it down!

So, anyone thinking about hosting it will need an ISP with balls. That's for sure. I will tell Saxotexh to export the database on Monday, and I will tell you all when I can get the files.

Hopefully the one(s) who is going to convert the files to another format will send me a mail, so I know where to send them.

Thank you all for your support! That's really great - and it's a good thing to know the Watchtower can't stop biting their fingernails. LOL

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Kent, please post your PayPal account email address so we can send you the money.

With regard to hosting, what about hosting in China or Tonga or someplace not likely to care about letters from the WT?

Pole:

I have experience in Java-XML-MySQL processing, so I can write an app which will allow us to move the content of the site to MySQL. Then it can be exported in any text-based format (or to another RDB), depending on what you would want to use at the DB tier of the new site.

I also have experience with XML and MySQL, but my experience with Java is limited. Like Euphemism, I have a lot of experience in .NET, C# specifically. I've also written many applications in PHP, but after working in .NET it's kind of hard to go back to that. Currently I work in MS SQL extensively, so I'd be up for that too.

SNG

• IT Support
    IT Support

Funds:

To our previous list of donors, we add:

• Previous total: $525
    • Quotes: $50
    • Simon: $100
    • New total: $675

Everyone: We're going to need more than this once we start having to pay monthly hosting fees. Keep the pledges rolling in...

I wrote to Kent:

* Would you like us to each individually send our money to your Paypal account, or would you prefer if one of us collected all the funds and transferred it in one go?

To which he replied:

The best would be, of course, if it all came in one go.

So would someone volunteer to be the 'honorary treasurer' of our project? Personally, I would do it if nobody else volunteered, but would prefer not to: I think it would be better done by someone more widely known among our 'community.'

Simon: as you have also volunteered funds, would you agree to collect the funds from the rest of us, and then forward to Kent whatever he tells us Saxotech eventually charge him?

Kenneson:

I just tried to open a Pay Pal account, but it probably won't be verified with my bank until Tuesday or Wednesday since Monday is Martin Luther King's birthday observance. If my $25.00 is needed sooner than that someone let me know and I can get a check into the mail right away.

Don't worry, that should be fine.

Domain name:

Deb [edit] purchased watchtower_observer.org and watchtower_observer.com last year for use if the site was moved, and now is the time to use one of them, I guess.

Fine by me, assuming Deb (is she on JWD?) is still happy that we use them. Anyone not happy?

Hosting:

Quotes wrote:

I know that Simon prefers MS (SQL Server/ASP) and they are great tools, but I've found that non-MS technology is cheaper for monthly hosting fees.

I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but from the little I have, I agree with Quotes. Anyone care to express an opinion?

Simon wrote:

you can get a dedicated server for quite a low amount (around $79 - $99) but it may not ne necessary...

I agree with Simon here. Any other opinions?

Kent wrote:

The ones who would like to host The Watchtower Observer need to be aware of a fact: As soon as the site is up running the Watchtower will start trying to get it down! So, anyone thinking about hosting it will need an ISP with balls. That's for sure.

This will need to be near the top of our list when selecting a host. I suppose we ought to let them know that some people will find the site content controversial and will try to shut it down, and are they happy resisting such pressures...

SNG wrote:

what about hosting in China or Tonga or someplace not likely to care about letters from the WT?

Great idea! Doubtless the Chinese would welcome an anti-JW site...!

SNG, would you mind making some initial enquiries?

Back-end systems:

Quotes made some great suggestions regarding using open source CMSs. I guess the main issues might be software stability, support, and ongoing development; ease and accuracy of importing XML data; customisability; and ease of content maintenance by non-techie users. Anything else?

Quotes, do any of the CMSs have any special hardware or software requirements that would limit the choice of hosts?

Would anyone else like to look at the systems Quotes referred to and comment on their appropriateness or otherwise for what we might want?

Does everyone agree that using an off-the-shelf CMS is faster, easier and cheaper than hand-crafting a new site on SQL Server, etc?

• Simon
    Simon

I think a lot depends on the schema for the XML ... it could be a joy to work with or something you have to battle ...

I'd add too that I favour C#, ASP.NET, SQL and so on but can use other things if needed.

I personally think that lightweight hosting is best - have the Db and maintenance done off-line and then publish a set of static files (as there is no real live run-time requirements). This will dramatically reduce hosting costs and allow many many mirrors to be setup cheaply and easily.

And yes, if nothing else is arranged then send the money to me and I will either forward it on or arrange payment directly (if Kent can let me know which he prefers).

• Simon
    Simon

Just to clarify though ... Kent has said he has a PayPal account so it would be better to send it straight to him IMO.

Don't know if he wants to post it here or PM those involved ?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Here is a place anyone can upload files and share them freely. In this way we have a central repository from which we can all draw. I hadn't planned to go live with this site for quite some time as there is still so much to do but times change and it seems best to 'strike while the iron is hot'.

www.theWatchtower.org

Just click the 'Downloads' link. In addition, you might want to consider submitting any articles, essays or research that is clogging up your hard drive. Again, the idea is to have a knowledge pool for all to draw on. In the coming days and weeks there will be more direction to the site. I have examined the UK Government criteria for hosting an online petition and have installed the necessary components. As soon as the petition is ready I'll push the button and publish it. The idea is for UK citizens to voice their objections to ....... but that would spoil the surprise! (sorry Watchtower monitors but why the hell should I make your lives any easier.)

This site will stay within the law. No copyright infringement or libel. It isn't needed anyway.

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, nice site (good name)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit