The Holocaust - do we need to know?

by eyeslice 197 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

You got it chief.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

If this thread is going to be locked - let me have the last word. The subject I started was do we need to know?

The answer has to be yes.

We need to beware ourselves, we need to teach our children, we need to adopt a zero tolerance approach hatred and violence of any sort. Most important, as shown by many of the responses to this thread, we must never become bystanders when we see others manifesting prejudice and hatred even if means risking our own wellbeing.

Eyeslice

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Realist:
    I don't know what timewarp you've been in, but Clinton doesn't lead the current Administration.
    You did specifically mention his cabinet, and as you can CLEARLY see, America's current cabinet shows no such disproportion.

You know you've been an ass. We know you've been an ass. Are you still too proud to give it up, or are you too enamoured with being an ass?

Do we need to remember the lessons of history? Do we need to know?
    Yes, as it helps us clearly identify asses...

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Avi,

It is easy to see that the segregation of the Jews during the Nazi era was one achieved by force. They didn't choose these ghettoes anymore than those in the Middle Ages did. Even the children who worked on the following project could see that:

http://cghs.dade.k12fl.us/holocaust/ghettoes_established.htm

I don't know where the page went. But try conducting a search under ghettoes. I found it on the first page. It is entitled IB Holocaust Project: The Ghettoes. It works there.

My fear is that as the survivors die out, and we get further away from the event, the deniers will have fewer people who were there to challenge them. Of course, people like us can still speak out against such balderdash. That is why it is necessary that the survivors stories be preserved, so that, at least, people can read about what they experienced. Of course, the deniers say that these stories are unreliable and single out a few "samples" as "evidence." Yet, how would they know, since they themselves weren't there to experience what so many said they did.?

Another thing. How convenient it is to claim that such large numbers of Jews emigrated to whereever before the establishment of concentration camps. Before I buy that one, they will have to verify where. But, of course, that's fewer Jews they can claim died, thus deflating the numbers.

Yes, people need to know about the Holocaust. And the more we learn about it, the better equipped .we will become to challenge those who claim it never happened.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    If this thread is going to be locked

I locked the thread originally, but Simon correctly pointed out that one person should not be allowed to shut down an entire conversation and so I unlocked it earlier today.

Realist's account has been suspended for 7 days so he will be unable to respond until then.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Kenneson

My fear is that as the survivors die out, and we get further away from the event, the deniers will have fewer people who were there to challenge them. Of course, people like us can still speak out against such balderdash. That is why it is necessary that the survivors stories be preserved, so that, at least, people can read about what they experienced.

Well said my friend. This is the reasoning behind the BBC TV series and the commemorative services to be held this year; the 60th anniversary of the freeing of Auschwitz.

Eyeslice

• avishai
    avishai

I think we need folks like Realist. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, etc. There is a common misperception that since we live in a "modern, enlightened age" that those kind of things can never happen again. It just happened in Rwanda. It's happening right now in the Sudan. What are we doing? Nothing. Jack. Diddly.

People, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE, who deny and minimize these things for their own agenda and then spout the same rhetoric that caused these things in the first place are a great case study of how it happens. Realist is no dummy. But, like many JW"s, he continues to spout rhetoric rather than facts. Historical revisionism is necessary and academic. Based on revising rhetoric that has often been skewed by churches, religion, politics, etc. and going with the facts. But Holocaust revisionism's dirty little secret is that it's not revisionism, it's denial, it's based on rhetoric, bias and lies that it would have you believe comes from facts. It has a definite Jew bashing agenda.

I'm not a defender or opposer of Judaism more than any other religion. Fundamentalist Judaism especially is at least as harmful and mean spirited as the dubs. I don't like it, and I frankly dont like ANY religion or sect of a religion that oppresses it's members or others in the name of it's religion

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Avi:Well put. You just articulated my opinion, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit