Only One Religion's WebSite Ignores the Desaster in South Asia

by GermanXJW 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Neo
    Neo

Welcome to the Board, Indelcio!!

I don't want you to feel unwelcome, but I think I should comment on a couple of points you made.

Since WatchTower is moving printing presses, and other neccessities, they're slowly abandoning buildings in New York, mostly for security issues.

This has never been proved. They are just downsizing and consolidating their assets.

Further proof to the lack of updating comes from the fact that the publications released at the 2004 DC are not listed.

They are not obligated to do so. And some conventions are still being held around the world, so they don't want to spoil the fun for the remaining witnesses.

BTW, my father and a group of others spent a month down in Florida doing relief work, so it isn't just local relief...

Are you referring to Hurricane Andrew? The WT never quits bragging about the disaster relief they've given even in the distant past. The "faithful slave" is above Jesus Christ, because they go unashamedly against his words in Matthew 6:1-4:

"Take good care not to practice YOUR righteousness in front of men in order to be observed by them; otherwise YOU will have no reward with YOUR Father who is in the heavens. Hence when you go making gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, just as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to YOU, They are having their reward in full. But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, that your gifts of mercy may be in secret; then your Father who is looking on in secret will repay you."
    I'll remain loyal to the principles of the orginization, but not to the people that run it, who seem to be skewing the original idea.

It's a distinction without a difference. You seem to forget that, according to the WT, you bear a responsability if you support the organization. The Reasoning book says:

*** rs 330-1 Religion ***
    If Someone Says?
    ?I don?t agree with everything my church teaches, but I don?t see the need to change to another. I?d rather work for improvement within my own?
    You might reply: ?I appreciate your telling me that. I am sure you will agree that what is really important to all of us is having God?s approval, is it not?? . . . Even if we personally do not practice the wrong things, the Bible shows that we share the blame if we support these organizations.

I hope you stay in the forum! Have fun and welcome again!!

Neo

• Valis
    Valis
    Since WatchTower is moving printing presses, and other neccessities, they're slowly abandoning buildings in New York, mostly for security issues.

I'm sure the DUMBO people would disagree...

http://85jaystreet.org/planned/

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Momof4
    Momof4

This doesn't really surprise me at all. I remember when the 9/11 tragedy occurred I went to the service/school meeting that night and not one person even brought up the event!! It was like nothing had happened that day out of the ordinary!!. When it came time for final prayer I thought surely they will mention something.....but nothing and no one said anything afterwards either. The next week, however, was our CO's visit and I remember the only thing mentioned was whether or not there were any of "the friends" in the tragedy. He also said the brothers were at ground zero witnessing, and he made fun of "one of Christendom's ministers". He said the brothers asked the minister when he was leaving "what did you bring the workers? and the minister replied water, and the brothers said we're bringing the good news of the kingdom", and the whole congregation just laughed. It really disgusted me because this was all told in a very condescending manner, and I just thought people in this disaster need water too and I'm sure they're thankful someone is bringing it.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    He said the brothers asked the minister when he was leaving "what did you bring the workers? and the minister replied water, and the brothers said we're bringing the good news of the kingdom", and the whole congregation just laughed. It really disgusted me because this was all told in a very condescending manner, and I just thought people in this disaster need water too and I'm sure they're thankful someone is bringing it.

momof4...I heard the same story with a bit of a twist on it about the water. It was about one church group who was there and the only thing they knew how to do was hand out water. But of course the brothers stepped in bibles in hand and were a great comfort to all! In the story I heard it was only the brothers that were allowed in the area after a while--all the other churches were not allowed to come in because they were getting in the way. But of course the brothers saved the day with their preaching! (somehow.) The whole story seemed rather surreal at the time, but i was still a Borg drone then and patting myself on the back because I belonged to the bestest most loving and godley organization in the world...forgive my insanity please..

cybs

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

undercover said:

I went to official websites of several religions, including Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists along with the more mainstream religions. They all mention the disaster and/or their relief campaign/funds. I then went to the official JW site and the JW-media site. Neither one mention it at all.

Hey, even the sex sites are setting up Tsunami Relief funds:

SwingLifeStyle is donating 10% of all profits between Dec 30th 2004 and Jan 31st 2005 to the victims of the Tsunami.
    Purchase any membership to SwingLifeStyle.com and 10% of profits will go directly to the relief effort.
    We will be making an advance donation of $10,000 this week.

Makes the WTS look even worse when the "actual sinners" are Better Samaritans than they are.

GentlyFeral

• justhuman
    justhuman

I'm sure that you didn't expect that the WT will be the FIRST one that will send help and money....they leave this to other religions

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

GentlyFeral, how did you find this? ;-)

• avishai
    avishai

Why are ya jumpin' indy? look at this..

See the thing about this sort of mother is, she always abandons her children in the time of need.

One of the most profound statements I've heard.

• Mary
    Mary

They may not have anything up on their website about the Disaster in SE Asia, but they've got a REALLY important topic on Pets: How Do You View Them?

Surely a mind boggling topic like this is FAR more important than the 125,000+ dead

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2004/2/22a/article_01.htm

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

A message of hope continued to spread globally in 2004

"We talk to people about our beliefs and theirs. We offer hope, comfort, and answers from the Bible in a world increasingly plagued by questions. That is a primary objective of our internationally recognized preaching work," explained Theodore Jaracz, a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. "But to do that we have to extend ourselves, which at times may mean learning another language to be able to reach people of another community."

Some of Jehovah's Witnesses around the world have taken up foreign languages on their own. Or in recent years they have enrolled in free foreign-language classes organized through local congregations, in order to communicate with people of other language groups.

In the United States, for example, the majority of the 11,000 congregations are English, but the number of Spanish congregations is quickly nearing 3,000. Additionally, scores of other language groups are regularly meeting to build their knowledge and faith. Included are Albanian, Armenian, Cambodian, Greek, Korean, Navajo, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian and Vietnamese. American Sign Language has not been overlooked and has become the fastest-growing of these groups.

In 2004, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, an international publishing arm of Jehovah's Witnesses, produced millions of educational tracts, magazines, books and Bibles to fill the needs of all of the aforementioned language groups. Also, since 1997, Jehovah's Witnesses have maintained and updated the Web site www.watchtower.org, which provides accurate information about their beliefs and activities. As of June 2004, the Web site has included published educational information in 250 languages, from Afrikaans, Chinese, and French to Hebrew, Icelandic, Punjabi and Yapese. Among other helpful details, the Watchtower Web site makes available the postal addresses of branch offices around the globe, where people can obtain more information or receive personal assistance from Witnesses locally.

Media contact: J. R. Brown, telephone: (718) 560-5600

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit