Only One Religion's WebSite Ignores the Desaster in South Asia

by GermanXJW 68 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    3) It doesn't list September 11 relief efforts (which I KNOW happened, they were on their front doorstep on the news), or any other relief efforts that I know happened, most notably the hurricane blitz in the south eastern US.

9/11 relief by the WTS? That's opening up a whole nuther can o worms. After they realized it wasn't Armageddon, they opened up and helped some(mostly JWs with credentials to prove it).

Hurricane relief is not as great as you think it might be. The local/area/regional congregations get the relief materials together(from donations from the congregations), donate the time and labor(local/area/regional brothers) and after all is said and done, the JW homeowner who had so-called "relief" work done is presented a "suggested" donation request to make to the WTS at the rate of what it would have cost to do repairs if the homeowner had paid for it.

• Indelcio
    Indelcio

*sigh* This was sort of a pointless exercise. There's no way I can defend myself against everyone at once. I only meant to come here to post that one thing (which I'd have done as a guest if I could), and now this comes out of it. Why do I even bother...
    BTW, my father and a group of others spent a month down in Florida doing relief work, so it isn't just local relief...

• Brummie
    Brummie

aww never mind indelcio, welcome to the board anyway. I think the major point was

"Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need."

A lot of religions took the time to update and meet the spiritual need of their followers in times such as these, yet the "mouthpiece" of god is more concerned about where they are going to put their computers and which internet provider to use.

To be honest with you, the WTsociety doesnt really matter to most of us, they have always had their minds on other things, just not thier children.

Like I said, welcome aboard, hope you will feel welcome enough to comment on other threads.

Brummie

• Indelcio
    Indelcio

I am inclined to agree with you that their minds seem to be elsewhere. I see it in this town's congregation, that some things are going on that really shouldn't be (one elder has made himself a control-freak), and the CO doesn't do anything about it. As far as I know, nothings even reached the Governing Body about it, or maybe I should say been allowed, since people are mysteriously being run out of the congregation.
    If only it was possible to contact the branch offices with something faster than snail mail...

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey Indelcio,

Welcome to the board. You're very generous to the organization. That's cool. I hope you don't get too turned off by those of us with a slightly more skeptical attitude. I, for one, know exactly how much work it is to maintain a web site, and I can guarantee you that if making a statement about the disaster were anywhere near a priority for the Society, they could have it done immediately. It would take one guy, an FTP client, and a statement. I'd have it done in 30 minutes. But hey, that's just me.

Anyway, I hope you'll stick around. Don't take critical responses as hostility. The cool thing about a discussion board is that you get barraged with...well...discussion. If there are other points of view, you'll hear about them, especially here. You are most certainly welcomed.

SNG

• undercover
    undercover

I wasn't trying to break your balls or anything Indelcio...BTW welcome to the site.

But to be fair, you brought up hurricane relief and 9/11, right? I just happen to have information that doesn't support your claims. And to be fair, JWs do help each other, I've done it myself. But I see it coming from the congregations and the PEOPLE, not New York or the ORGANIZATION.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I am inclined to agree with you that their minds seem to be elsewhere. I see it in this town's congregation, that some things are going on that really shouldn't be (one elder has made himself a control-freak), and the CO doesn't do anything about it. As far as I know, nothings even reached the Governing Body about it, or maybe I should say been allowed, since people are mysteriously being run out of the congregation.
    If only it was possible to contact the branch offices with something faster than snail mail...

I hear ya, its very disappointing isnt it? we have all been there Indelcio, we all defended them through our noses at one point just like you feel inclined to do now, but one day it all falls apart and we have to be honest with ourselves. Things dont get any better, infact the greatest dissapointment is yet to come for those who think the WT will always be there for them :( Brummie

• Indelcio
    Indelcio

Then you don't know me very well (of course you don't; I just got here). I'm very stubborn. I never give up my beliefs, and usually don't give up debates. I'll remain loyal to the organization and its principles, but to the people that run it, that's another question entirely.
    To let you know, this is the quickest I've dropped a debate ever. Then again, I also didn't have a support to stand on, being new and not knowing anyone. But you can expect some more debating from me in the future.

Something that occured to me. Is it just me, or is my post count not displaying right? *points up at other posts* It shows 5 of 5, then 6 of 6, and this will undoubtably be 7 of 7. Shouldn't the latter number change with my post count?

• Brummie
    Brummie

well Ind, in 7 of 7 posts I know enough to recognise you as someone who is inclined to defend the org regardless.

;)

Brummie

• undercover
    undercover
    I'll remain loyal to the organization and its principles, but to the people that run it, that's another question entirely.

Um, the people that run the organization are the organization. If you question those that run it, you have to question the organization itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit