It's cases like this that make me support the death penalty...

by Elsewhere 149 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi Ross

Now, now, I asked first - LOL.
    Surely the difference is only a few thousand years of evolution?

Yes, and, so, what?

Look, until you can show you are as concerned about the intestinal symbionts you digest by the millions each day, wear plastic sandals and eat a fruitarian diet, I'm not going to try and prove that different life forms have different qualities of life as your actions already prove it.

At no point have I suggested that BIOLOGICAL life is a criteria for automatic preservation; that's from you. I

state that sophoncy is the criteria, and that you are free to rebutt; but you're not rebutting it, as your comments don't show sophoncy to NOT be a valid criteria but simply suggest other irrelevent criteria like stage of evolution.

Crocodiles are at a high level of evolution. They've not changed in millions of years as they fit their environment so well there is no (well, near zero) selection pressure for change. Doesn't mean they've equal rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of wildebeasts as humans.

So do I but on what basis do YOU claim that duty?

I claim that duty because I can and want to.

We are the only creatures capable of conceptualising 'environmental custodianship'. We are also the creature most equippied to destroy environments and of. Rational egoism alone dictates an interest in the environment is wise.

Like caged for 23 hours a day?

Ah, a generalisation. All those poor ants in London Zoo's insect house, imprisoned and suffering. Oh, hang on, they're not suffering. You are being anthropomorphic again and putting a human value (in a cage is not nice) on ALL animals, when a lot don't 'know' or 'care' they are in captivity.

Those that do 'know' or 'care 'are free of predators, feed well, and given medical help. If they are in a suitable social grouping there are very few 'red flags' that would cause them distress. The smarter or more reclusive the species the more likely suffering will result in captivity.

But even then, would a chimp who could write send a letter to Amnesty International? I think it would be quite happy as all its needs are filled, except one you are attributiing to it because you can conceive it.

A dolphin on the other hand; I've not and would not go and see dolphins in captivity. No way they can have all their needs filled in captivity, and they are certainly smart enough to suffer as a result - they're one of the only animals to have committed suicide in captivity.

Neither can the one's allowed to "live" to death...

On the contrary, only those who could not be safely released would be in prison until they died. And as the focus would be on rehabilitation, this would be the intractable ones, a minority. And they would have their right to leave the prison in a box if they yearned for the old days.

As for the what extra risk makes judicial killings justifiable; in our current society I believe we have the luxery of showing killing is wrong by not sanctioning legal killing unless it avoids immediate threat to life. The additonal risk (remember, you'd have to live over 4 million years to have a 1/1000 chance of being killed by a released murderer) is negligble, which is why we have that luxery.

It's all very well to ask questions like 'what additonal risk is acceptable', but it isn't relevent as the risk is so far away from anything that would ressemble unacceptable risk, to quantify what would be unacceptable would still set the yard stick several powers of ten away.

It's just avoiding accepting there is no real risk in releasing murders subject to due process and responsibility by making a slippery slop or adverse concequences fallacy.

So are you telling me that the appreciably high cost of the Dutch penal system hasn't improved the percentile risk of NOT killing killers?

No, I'm saying the figures are lousy, but that as a postive association would be a very noticable trend (lots of released muderers being done for a second murder), the lousyness of the figures indicates there's no increased risk, as an increased risk would invaribaly be noticed and trigger the research to quantify it.

And yet both murders and executions (see "Green Mile" with Tom Hanks) are televised in entertainment.

Yup, so, if they make films of sport-stars lives AND you can see them perform live, why not murderers? If killing isn't wrong why don't we make money out of it?

Are you for giving a felon the opportunity to choose euthanasia over continued imprisonment at sentencing and parole boards and anytime inbetween?

I'm not giving the prisoner anything. Anyone already always has the opportunity to choose death. I'm just advocating a method which would avoid ghastly painful suicides, and maybe get those thinking of the idea to speak to profesionals (thus the mention of ethics screening) rather than enter the pattern of unsuccesful half-hearted suicide attempts that procede many succesful ones. This would identify those who might be depressed etc. early on as part of the ethical screening process and be able to help their depression and hopefully remove the desire to end their life.

I wonder how the proportion of "State - murdered" innocents" v's "released known fellon - murdered" innocents, compares...

You've not responded to my point regarding it being better for a mistake to be made than for knowing state-sanction of an unavoidably unjust method of execution.

Without responding to this it makes quantitive arguments (such as you enter) seem relevent even when it has already been shown the quantitive difference in risk is near 0. I would appreciate your thoughts on the moral dilema (or qualitative argument) I put forward.

It seems like America has plenty of checks and balances. How many innocents do they "murder"?

Hey, I've addressed this issue. You stoned too? ;-)

If they have "plenty of checks and balances", how can incompetent representation and new evidence be ignored so often and determinatedly in retrials and appeals for retrials and stays of execution? How can the retarded and those who committed crimes as minors still be killed? Anyone who's examined the system in any detail knows that someone on Death Row is more likely to be killed or refused appeals in the run up to state elections than at any other time.

Come on Ross, you're ignoring or forgetting things already covered too often as well as making sweeping statements so far removed from reality as to do your argument no good what-so-ever. Checks and balances my hairy arse.

Is defending the indefensable really that hard? Oh, yeah.. I suppose it would be... but you've done better than anyone else.

;-)

Now I am off for a bit of cruel and unusual punishment; the dentist. Although I might respond to Realist first...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:
    You must be tiring of the debate - you're starting to resort to insults again
    S'ok, I think we've just about exhausted the arguments for the areas under consideration. I've enjoyed it, thanks.
    I believe it's been a well rounded out discussion, with many issues raised, and an opportunity for all to see these debated in a reasonable manner.

By way of conclusion, I will just add that your post makes various assumptions (as does mine, which you are free to iterate).
    For example:

• Whilst I allowed tolerance for extant species to evolve into sophant varieties, you do not.
    • You appear to have a "because I think so" attitude to the rights of non-sophant lifeforms.
    • You have a "because I think so" attitude to your "right" to wildlife custodianship and how you dispense that.
    • You call a generalisation and an anthropomorphism that which was clearly an allusion to jail conditions (23hrs caged - what ant gets an hours exercise outside the tank, each day??).
    • You assume that terminal incarceration is a more humane option than termination, even for the unreformable.
    • You take a statistic (4M yrs, etc.) to hyperbolically make the risk of being murdered low, when we know that takes no account of demographics.
    • You write off as irrelevant that which YOU feel is an acceptable risk, without addressing the questions posed to you.
    • You assume that "lack" of figures bears some magical relationship to "no increased risk".
    • You take another hyperbolic situation (voyeur TV) and apply it to termination but not murder itself, moreover without any tolerance for "right to die with dignity".
    • You assume that giving someone the option for assisted suicide is not giving someone something
    • You assume that killing in anger is ok, but killing is wrong (???)
    • You assume that I've forgotten that this thread was about a specific case of horrific proportions...
    You've not responded to my point regarding it being better for a mistake to be made than for knowing state-sanction of an unavoidably unjust method of execution.

Actually I agreed with the points about DNA testing, etc. Like I said from the outset, I'm undecided on this whole issue, however I do believe that if it is to remain viable in the 21st century it should be beyond reasonable doubt that you have the guilty party in the dock.

If they have "plenty of checks and balances", how can incompetent representation and new evidence be ignored so often and determinatedly in retrials and appeals for retrials and stays of execution?

I agree that especially in the case of termination that is intolerable. As you rightly said, you can't restore life, and it's even difficult to make reparation for a life wasted in prison. Is that the fault of the "checks and balances"/"the system" or the way it is operated, though? I suspect the latter.

...someone on Death Row is more likely to be killed or refused appeals in the run up to state elections than at any other time.

That is intolerable, though I do appreciate that the current state of world politics (in nigh on every nation) makes things like this a reality.

In summation of my argument:
    How do you ensure, 100%, that an individual has reformed?
    I would suggest it's impossible to guarantee a felon will not reoffend. Therefore there will always be a risk if a known felon is released into society at large.

What is the more humane way of treating someone who is never to be released?
    Local culture has a judgement call to make regarding terminating an individual or terminally incarcerating them.

Nontheless, it should be beyond reasonable doubt that the convicted party is guilty (e.g. by DNA testing), and all appropriate checks and balances should be in place and implemented, if termination is to be viewed as a viable alternative. It should be noted that in any justice/penal system there will always be a risk that an innocent suffers adversely.

All that having been said and done, I'm still undecided.

Btw, good luck with the dentist I'd rather go ten rounds with Realist...
    Maybe he'd like to amuse us all by taking on the subject of China, etc.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi Ross,

You must be tiring of the debate - you're starting to resort to insults again

Saying you are making a fallacious argument is not an insult, unless you show you are not. Saying you are asking questions about situations or data already covered is not an insult unless you can show you are not.

It's not like I don't ever make a fellatious argument... it is, most definitely with you, an observation, not a criticism. I can use smilies too if you like!!

Oh, the dentist was ghastly and I am not in the least bit phobic. Fillings in one side of the upper jaw and the lower side of the other (which means I now have a Novocaine leer) and having a tooth ground down for a crown and impressions made (gag) and a temporary crown stuck in. I am having a most definitively medicinal spliff as I type.

S'ok, I think we've just about exhausted the arguments for the areas under consideration. I've enjoyed it, thanks.

Oh, I agree, both with the getting tired with it, but that's due to the topic being a tad exhausted and things going around a little rather than you. And had I've had fun too, thank you.

I believe it's been a well rounded out discussion, with many issues raised, and an opportunity for all to see these debated in a reasonable manner.

Good point

By way of conclusion, I will just add that your post makes various assumptions (as does mine, which you are free to iterate).
    For example:
    Whilst I allowed tolerance for extant species to evolve into sophant varieties, you do not.

Don't follow you there.

You appear to have a "because I think so" attitude to the rights of non-sophant lifeforms.

Yes, because that is the point. I THINK SO. Not just me, but my species.

Obviously my species has and does treat animals horribly, but if one ignores the increasing risk of extinction, the attitude to treatment of animals in captivity etc., even of food animals, has moderated remarkably. This is no return to innocence; the noble savage living in harmony with the wild is a nice story, but ancient man was in general no environmental custodian.

It may continue to change so that even my 'animals are animals, but we need to preserve species affected by our activities and avoid inflicting unnecessary suffering on others even if we use them for food' attitude becomes as harsh as a Spaniard throwing a goat out of a church tower on a feast day. Of course if we all become Jains, we'll never be able to run for the bus again (you need to sweep the ground in front of you) and have to wear a little veil so you don't breath in bugs.

But me being happy to kill a rabbit and eat it doesn't really have anything to do with 'if killing is wrong, killing is wrong', as everyone knows the context I am applying it to. Whether it is possible to quantify and order the value of various organisms lives isn't the point, how ever worthy a debate it might be. The point is I hold any human, even a murderer, as having the right to life.

You have a "because I think so" attitude to your "right" to wildlife custodianship and how you dispense that.

Same reason as above; come on, what other species is going to do it? It evidently needs doing, although it's more of us limiting the damage we do than polishing the raindrops and reminding the frogs to crack.Although if we could learn to talk to dolphins I'm sure they'd be a great help in combating pollution of the Oceans and we'd be able to share the custodianship.

You call a generalisation and an anthropomorphism that which was clearly an allusion to jail conditions (23hrs caged - what ant gets an hours exercise outside the tank, each day??).

Okay, I misunderstood you. As I am not advocating 23 or 24 hour lock-down, you're (sorry, but you really are) doing one of those slippery you-know-whats again.

You assume that terminal incarceration is a more humane option than termination, even for the unreformable.

Nope. I give an individual who is so unredeemable they are told there is no hope of their being released the option to die cleanly or live comfortably. I let them decide which is most humane. I assume nothing about the humanity of 'real' life imprisonment; how can I? Those people will all be different, they will make different decisions.

You take a statistic (4M yrs, etc.) to hyperbolically make the risk of being murdered low, when we know that takes no account of demographics.

I doubled the percentage of repeat murderers on DR. That's assuming the same again 'get away with it' and making my case worse.

I also applied the 'total % repeat murderers' to 'yearly murders', again massively biasing the figures against me.

I had great fun with figures and used them in a way that was very dramatic. But whilst a camel CANNOT get through the eye of a needle, the increased chance of being killed by a released murderer is so low you WOULD have to live 4,000,000 years to have a 1/1000 chance of being killed by one.

And that's after I deliberately stacked the odds against my stance twice. In a country with a poor jail system.

It's not a 'fact', it is an extrapoltaion... but it not exaggeration.

You write off as irrelevant that which YOU feel is an acceptable risk, without addressing the questions posed to you.

See above about statistic; did you really think I was deliberately exaggerating the figures? Just 'cause it sounds a ridiculously small increase in risk doesn't mean it's an exaggeration! When have I ever made stuff up to 'score' in a discussion?

You assume that "lack" of figures bears some magical relationship to "no increased risk".

Look, they would notice. It's not like they have different people working in courts every day. They have careers; "Golly what I say Martin, another brace of murderous scalawags who were released on parole only gone and killed again, didn't you have six of those in the last six month, was that what you said?"

Why do you think the press go potty when it happens? Do you think they just go potty on every fourth murder by a paroled murderer? Nope, they report on the lot.

Doesn't happen very often; again, talking in terms of society.

You take another hyperbolic situation (voyeur TV) and apply it to termination but not murder itself, moreover without any tolerance for "right to die with dignity".

I noticed I'd misphrased that when I came back to the thread. I do mean 'why can't we watch executions on TV if it isn't wrong?'

You assume that giving someone the option for assisted suicide is not giving someone something

Oh, it is giving them something. But it not giving them the right to try and end their life; they have that.

Actually I agreed with the points about DNA testing, etc.

Yes, you did; I think DNA testing is important too; so we can make sure we have the right man. Killing them is for me not an option in today's society.

In summation of my argument:

You're using 'felon', I take this as 'murderer' for simplicities sake.

How do you ensure, 100%, that an individual has reformed?

You can't and it is not a realistic aim. Someone might be reformed and kill later for completely different reasons, so even if 100% perfect reform WAS possible, reformed killers would still kill.

I would suggest it's impossible to guarantee a felon will not re-offend. Therefore there will always be a risk if a known felon is released into society at large.

Agreed. I will live with the 1 in bugger-all chance of being killed. This is no different to what happens today in many democracies; most murderers go free in between 7 and 15 years.

What is the more humane way of treating someone who is never to be released?
    Local culture has a judgement call to make regarding terminating an individual or terminally incarcerating them.

Yup, and on the age of sexual consent, and on the death sentence for homosexuality, and it being okay to beat women. Doesn't mean those things don't violate human rights.

Nontheless, it should be beyond reasonable doubt that the convicted party is guilty (e.g. by DNA testing), and all appropriate checks and balances should be in place and implemented, if termination is to be viewed as a viable alternative. It should be noted that in any justice/penal system there will always be a risk that an innocent suffers adversely.

True but not relevant. Usually recompense can be made to a person if they are convicted for a crime they did not commit. Thus something in a different category of sentencing, one where recompense to the wronged individual is not possible, cannot be grouped with other sentencing options as the same fact is unavoidable in one case, and a clear reason why the death penalty is not a just sentence in the other. Killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong.

That is intolerable, though I do appreciate that the current state of world politics (in nigh on every nation) makes things like this a reality.

If you know that politicians will not show due diligence to curry favour with voters when deciding to suspend an execution on valid grounds, I think you first have to address the involvement of politics and the judiciary making such a thing possible before you advocate the death penalty. Unless you do that, if you were if a US resident, you would be tolerating it.

I know you're not advocating it or tolerating it; devil's advocate at times and using me to bounce things off; you're not sure (I still didn't get where Jesus was down with Death Row).

Oh, this was done in bit and bobs whilst chatting with my girlfriend. She convinced me killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong (ST&C, see small print). Spliff means am far less miserable than immediately after dentist. Realist will have to wait...

Dentist: Is it safe? Is it safe?

Reporter: What do you mean?

*Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

R: Yes, it's safe!!

D: You are lying!!

R: Argh! It's not safe! It's not safe!

D: I am going to make you tell me the truth.

R: For the love of Christ it's safe I tell you!!

... anyway, Dustin Hoffman movies with scary German dentists aside... I used to be pro-dp. I know all the arguments in favour. I used to use them just as fervently. I've not seen a new one. My girlfriend saying 'killing is wrong because killing is wrong' (a lot) eventually made me talk in favour of the death penalty for so long I realised... killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong.

She has a message for you; 'killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong'.

Love and kisses, Gyles and Delilah

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:
    Sh*t man, you've got a warzone going on in your mouth!!!
    Commiserations.
    Have recently had a root canal re-done, due to my first ever absess, I can sympathize!
    They wouldn't give me the good stuff, either

Just by way of explanation of a few of my bullets (I'm trying to protract this):

Whilst I allowed tolerance for extant species to evolve into sophant varieties, you do not.

You didn't seem to allow a tolerance for the ability of species to pass on it's genetic heritage naturally (for example in the case of a human taking the life of a "turned" dog), allowing it to further evolve and perhaps excising that particular gene.

You appear to have a "because I think so" attitude to the rights of non-sophant lifeforms.

I should add that Buddhists, as members of our species, are very careful about what life they take (and I guess this could be extended in a far more limited way to some other religious groups like Hindus and Jews, though I'm honestly not wanting to take this into the realms of a religious debate). THere are quite a few of those on this planet.

You have a "because I think so" attitude to your "right" to wildlife custodianship and how you dispense that.

I should add, here, that the natural ecosystems have done remarkably well, in the face of human destructions. I would warrant that if we concentrated on custodianship of human-beings, the rest of the planet would get on just fine without our interference.

You call a generalisation and an anthropomorphism that which was clearly an allusion to jail conditions (23hrs caged - what ant gets an hours exercise outside the tank, each day??).

I should have further alluded to the Myra Hindley case. I understand that she endured a portion of her incarceration in 23 hour lockdown.

You assume that terminal incarceration is a more humane option than termination, even for the unreformable.

I should also have added in here that you give credence to an irrational mind (in the case of a mass-murderer) making a rational choice about their own end.

You take a statistic (4M yrs, etc.) to hyperbolically make the risk of being murdered low, when we know that takes no account of demographics.

I should possibly have also demonstrated that the figures also show that if you had a life expectancy of 16B years, you WOULD have a 100% chance of being murdered by a released felon (figures deflated to current recorded levels)

You assume that killing in anger is ok, but killing is wrong (???)

Btw, did you intentionally sidestep this point?
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/82177/1361889/post.ashx#1361889

She has a message for you; 'killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong'.

Will... not.. succumb... to... Delilah's... brain-... washing... attempts...
    Doh!
    Ok, killing is wrong because killing is wrong!
    Now hand me that .45 Glock, while I blow some paper targets to shreds!!!

When have I ever made stuff up to 'score' in a discussion?

So true. You are an able debator, and I doff my hat to you, sir
    Hope that mouth settles down soon. Toothache is a biatch, of the worst magnitude.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Teeth better, thank you.

I think we both left some questions unanswered ;-)

Been dead busy, up in Amsterdam over weekend clubbing etc. Seeing kids this weekend so very happy. So busy at wok I have to work a normal day, rather than getting everything sorted out in a few hours and then constructively twiddling my thumbs. Hope all is well, thanks for a good discussion!

Gyles

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm glad your mouth is feeling better. Have a great break with the kids

I'm battening down the hatches again, for another forecasted storm

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Abaddon:

It's not like I don't ever make a fellatious argument...

What's a fellatious argument - "Suck on this"?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

That was a pun! Honest; I normally spell-check my posts. especially long ones where I type fast. I'd mis-spelt the first fallacious and it occurred to me to be silly.

Of course, there are far fewer fellatious arguments than falacious arguments, namely;

• spit or swallow?
    • men don't know what their own cum tastes like
    • I'll tell you before I cum
    • It's good for your skin
    • It will help you in childbirth
    • gagging; turn on or turn off?

I'm sure there's more...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'm sure there's more...

• It's full of protein
    • If you loved me, you would
    • Oh go on, I'll do you afterwards
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

You know that you're affecting the swingometer towards "support" on this issue, doncha?
    LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit