It's cases like this that make me support the death penalty...

by Elsewhere 149 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi CW

The disparity of sentencing outcomes between black and white convicted murderers in the USA is well know; I'm happy to discuss it or answer any questions I can, but would first direct you here for background;

http://web2.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR510462003?open&of=ENG-2AM

I totally agree with you regarding eye-witness evidence, indeed would suggest eye-witness evidence is up their with military intelligence as oxymoron's go.

I also would agree with you that, even for those who agree with the death penalty in certain cases, there is sound cause for a moratorium.

The system is incapable of constantly delivering a verdict without error - more murderers have been CLEARED of the original charges than people executed since they starting judicial killing in the USA again, which indicates convictions are just not safe... and to assume those cleared on appeal presents 100% of the wrongly convicted is to ignore the fact the American legal system - as a statistical certainty - kills innocent people.

Likewise, I think you'll likely be rather appalled at the racial disparity in sentencing outcomes as it shows there is systemic albeit unintentional racial bias in the legal system to such a serious extent that people die as a result.

I think only in Illinois, after a College project revealed the lack of certainty in murder convictions, has a moratorium been declared.

It is a pitty that most politicians are far too afraid of a backlash from voters, or far too lazy to try to explain why it is necessary, to consider imposing a moratorium although there are clear reasons to do so.

And it is the fact that votes seem more precious than justice that is saddest of all.

However, until that 100% surety can be achieved, I think a moratorium should be issued, until all these issues can be worked out. That may never be.

And that last sentence is why some people oppose moratoriums. It is very unlikely once imposed a 'new' death penalty would ever arise because of the difficulty of justifying it and making it free from the current dangers.

As has been established, although one is quite free to side with the death penalty because you feel it is right, creating a logical argument as to why it is right in a court of law without resorting to unsubstantiated assertion or religious belief is very hard indeed.

As those in support of the DP are in support either because they erroneously think it works or because of a belief it is right, some of those who hold beliefs more important than justice will oppose even a temporary moratorium.

Narkissos

Okay, I'll "fess up". Not only do I think the death penalty is wrong, outside of the most extreme cases or where there is a real risk of re-offending I think the Dutch have it right (and they don't apply what I'm about to explain to the worst cases or the riskier ones).

Despite the fact people typically only serve seven years for a run-of-the-mill murder, the Dutch system is so focused on rehabilitation and reintegration that we are statistically indistinguishable from a country with 'life term' sentences for murder like the UK.

In other words you can have a society where a murderer is normally rehabilitated and returned to society as a participating member and still not have a higher murder rate.

If someone has murdered, society has a simple choice; lose another life (in jail or by execution) or try and reclaim a life. I just happen to think the latter is better.

Of course, being a godless humanist cynic, I have a very definite 'boot on the other foot' sensation in a discussion such as this. (that's a joke about me, not anyone else)

Ross

I disagree.in the latter case someone who is a known offender has been released back into the community. They have already offended.

Weigh them!

You already have a murder victim and a destroyed family.

An innocent person killed by a miscarriage of justice results in;

• One dead body
    • One destroyed family
    • One mistake

A murder released in error to kill again results in;

• One dead body
    • One destroyed family
    • One mistake

... yet with the miscarriage of justice the State becomes a murderer, albeit in error, by using a judicial system the State KNOWS is prone to this error.
    Continuing with a system of punishment that will invariably kill innocent people is not a good example for the State to set. I find it worse than the tragicness of a murder who manages to kill again because it institutionalises injustice.

I think that's worse.

If CP was limited to mass-murderers or psychopaths, would that help? After all, it's expected that a dog which has "turned" is now broken.

Look, you can equate dogs to humans. I don't. Colour me speciesist. I just ate some pig and enjoyed it a lot, and the pig didn't do me any harm either.

Killing (of humans unless acting in self defence to prevent immediate danger) is wrong, therefore killing (of humans unless acting in self defence to prevent immediate danger) is wrong.

I value human life, even of those that don't value human life as I value human life not because I expect it in return but because it is a moral principle. I can define 'human life' for anyone wanting to turn this into an abortion AND death penalty debate too (not you Ross, but there's always one).

Being pragmatic I'd be happy to see limiting the death penalty as an initial goal in countries where it exists, but the goal is abolition.

A broken thing of value is often kept; you might find out how to fix it. Thus the rule I would apply to a dangerous dog would in no way apply to a dangerous human. I value the human more.

I wonder what the proportion of mistaken sentences leading to CP compared to re-offending murderers, is?

http://members.cox.net/jalbert13/death.html
    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~critcrim/wrong/mike.list

How many innocent people must a government kill before it becomes wrong Ross?

There is no total statistical overview. Obviously 'under-reporting' caused by cases no longer being investigated once someone is dead would be significant. Some people don't have the means, personal or within their friends and families to pursue appeals successfully, be it financial or of sufficient determination and ability. Their appeals of innocent end when they are killed. Some come to light through studies of old cases by students, activists and legislators. The moratorium in Illinois was due to so many concerns with convictions of such a large number of men on death row (highlighted by a College class-assignment) they had to stop killing people it was so obvious the system was utterly screwed.

Read the links. Think about how the competence of the defence team is so frequently called into question.

If it all boils down to the competence of your representation, how can we pretend the death penalty is an efficient way of dealing out justice?

That isn't a rhetorical question ;-)

Yes, if you allow murderers who are unlikely to re-offend to be released, they will kill people.

http://www.intellectualloafing.com/discussionsfolder/myessaysfolder/deathpenaltyfolder/deathpenaltyessaysectwo.htm gives 9% as the number of Death Row prisoners with previous homicide convictions. If we for the sake of argument presume all of these resulted in imprisonment and release after satisfying 'low-risk' criteria, that's bad.

If we double that figure just for the hell of it and apply it to the number of inmates on DR, that's about 700 people per year. That's about 5% of murders.

So, does being 5% safer by killing people make it a good idea?

'Cause every criminal psychologist will tell you, many murderers (i.e. the really dangerous ones we are talking about, not drunk-drive/bar-fight/abusive-partner-killing murderers) can be predicted.

Obviously it is not a precise science, but it is, unlike the law, a science, and if we accept a few innocent dead people are okay if we are 5% safer, then maybe a few more innocent people who-are-very-likely-to-commit-murder being killed could get us a whole 10% safer.

And give the radical pro-death penalty lobby more opportunities to stand outside prisons waving placards and cheering.

Now, again, personally speaking, I would rather live in a society that takes the risk of being 5% more likely to be murdered (well, maybe in Europe; 5% of 0.0114375/1000 to 0.012009375/1000 is bugger all but 0.044/1000 to 0.0462/1000 just lets you sleep safe at nights, doesn't it?

But I doubt there is the focus on rehabilitation and reintegration there is in Holland. You can attend college and get qualifications whilst serving time in Holland, indeed, they'll encourage you to do it if you've no profession or education. They can make sure someone leaves with a skill, be it academic or vocational, they did not have before. For some it will be their first qualification.

With efficient rehabilitation in prison, high-quality probation systems and tagging programmes, you would impact on that figure. I can't find a figure for re-offending murderers outside of the US (or rather for the UK or NL) and it's late and I am tired so I'll just emphasise; killing is wrong because killing is wrong. As to whether dog kind has the same rights as human kind, wee, you save the wee doggies if ye' wish, but if I can I'll try to save my fellow man (and I know you're like this too, don;t get me wrong, that line was delivered with a wry smile and a twinkle over a very fine glass of scotch).

So there are circumstances where you see CP as being viable, then?
    Whilst I appreciate your stance is from personally held moral ethics, it seems that there is a limit somewhere

Indeed there is. If society is so affected by violence one has no safety, or the costs of crime are impacting on the very health of the nation, you have to use different rules.

I am well aware that the set of morals I am trying to live by would in some areas and time periods have been as useless as a chocolate kettle. But, I think we can afford the luxury of other standards now.

We don't send kids down coal mines (although if we are not careful we wear Nike's made by children in sweatshops). We hold all races equal. We move toward sexual equality that allows equal opportunity AND recognition of the difference between men and women. We don't chop hands off thieves or imprison someone for life for stealing a 'Mars bar' (talking about Europe here; no "three-strikes" rule).

And maybe it's time to accept killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong.

Has it similarly been shown that there is a difference in murder rates as a result of terminal incarceration?

Yah; the comparison is between places with imprisonment and places with execution; there is no real difference, ergo, unless one produces a set for, say, murderers being let to go free, one can't state whether imprisonment makes a difference to murder rates either, compared to the other studied group. There's not a 'control' figure; you can just see that locking 'em up leads to as many murders as killing 'em.

No, I actually meant slicing them up, even if this is done in a none invasive manner, such as CAT scans. I suspect that our court-systems would overrule in the favour of the prisoner if one decided they didn't want to submit to it.

Oh I'd be quite happy for non-invasive treatments on grounds of public good, and requiring MRI et. al. is as acceptable as requiring a DNA sample for me.

However, we are now talking about a small set of the murderers; those who are mentally ill and killed due to that.

What are you suggesting? Electronically tagging them and releasing them back into the wild, or setting up an artificial habitat behind Plexiglas, where they can scratch their arses?

I would suggest that depending on your outlook these options (in addition to terminal incarceration) aren't all that humane for the recipient, either.

Actually I'm not suggesting anything new; do you think they kill or release the criminally insane who pose a risk to the public in the UK or Holland? Nah, they stick them in secure medical institutions. They are treated and studied.

Most murderers pose no risk of re-offending. Serve time for the crime to check whether it WAS just a one off aberration, then become a useful member of society again. Some were ticking bombs because of background. Just like you can gentle a puppy that has been brutalised and become aggressive SOME of the time, so you can humans. A decent prison system can and does do this in some countries. We are not inventing the wheel, these are real solutions that work today and have done for years.

Some were economically driven murders. Not all of these are because of a bad background. But still they might be returnable to society, especially if they are, maybe for the first time, able to have a decent job outside of jail. Oh, and electronic tagging is a very useful way of balancing public safety with rehabilitation.

As for the collie; unless you wish to assert the dog has linguistic, telepathic, or precognitive abilities, the likely explanation, even though it as unromantic as a stick, is it reacted to the owners emotional state.

All that requires is eyes, ears and a nose.

But are you seriously trying to compare a dog panicking for a few minutes because it got spooked by a distraught owner before it dies (without knowing it is going to die) with the weeks and years a convicted murderer can await execution, knowing they will die?

Of course, we could 'streamline' the dp, as some people advocate, but as it is error prone anyway, it would be a tad unwise.

And 'turning' dogs can be studied.

Example; Toby, my brother's dog. He loved me, but once when I was rough-housing with my brothers kids, he bit me. He had done, for him, the right thing.

Example; Maverick, a friend's father-in-laws dog, was trained to be aggressive by someone who knew shit about training guard dogs. He was simply dangerous and had bitten (properly) members of the family and strangers; he frequently nipped and snapped. Nothing made any difference, not that incompetent dolt who ruined the dog actually tried to get him trained or treated properly. He even went for me, and I normally surprise timid dog or cat owners (the pet is normally timid I mean) by the fact they come say hello and annoy others by finding a place to scratch (they didn't know about for 15 years) on their beloved pet that has the thing on its side drooling in pleasure with a leg kicking. Any, Maverick attacking me in a dark field with dog-phobic girlfriend on one side and friend ineffectively tugging at leah on other, with a dog hanging off my baggy jumper. An Alsatian. A big'un. Not good. Thank god for baggy jumpers I say. Then, months later, he REALLY savaged a business partner of the owner. It's a dog; kill it.

Mollie; a horse my brother owned. She became uncontrollably violent; striking with her hooves and biting anyone who got near. The vet found a tumour after she was euthanized.

Fred was a good guy. Everyone loved him. When he saw that creep hit his girlfriend, well, maybe it was the drink. He's never done anything like that before even, but he smashed the bottle and struck out at the guy, who was far bigger than him. Blood everywhere; the guy bled out before the paramedics even got theerl. Do we kill Fred Ross? Or do we imprison him until we're sure it was a moment of madness and help him rebuild his life and rejoin society?

John was always a trouble maker. His dad, his uncles, his friends, his 'gang', they all 'contributed to his delinquency'. His mum still says if he'd been sorted out the first time he went to jail, given a way out, ways of earning a living without crime, he'd have never ended up killing the other dealer. Do we kill John Ross? Or do we imprison him until we're sure he can live without crime and help him rebuild his life and rejoin society?

Bert was utterly unexceptional until he killed sixteen people in Wal-Mart. No one knows why. He's in cell 3. Do we kill Bert Ross? Or do we study him and figure out why people do that, and maybe STOP it happening sometimes. Maybe it is too late for him; maybe the Vapo-tron ethical dociliser that will, definitively, cure him, yet retain his pre-psychotic personality will help. But they won't invent it for twenty years yet. Do we kill Bert Ross?

Of course, there are the evil fucks who kill and eat (or whatever) dozens. Smart as you or I and better read. Not mad... unless one can define being having no concern for other humans as madness. Evaded detection for fifteen years. Laughs at us now... do we kill the evil fucks? Yeah, that would really put them off being serial killers et. al., Not. And killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong.

But surely, if the main issue is public safety, it doesn't matter which of these options we choose?

Err, the main issue is killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong. The fact it doesn't make a measurable difference to public safety just highlights that killing murderers is a choice based on emotion.

Which I've said all along.

And life is not life. Human life is human life. But a live human bastoclyst is not (unless one enters arguments concerning ensoulment at conception) a live full-term baby. E. coli life is E. coli life. Dog life is dog life. Get up to whales, dolphins, elephants and the great apes and we will get to something which approximates human life in terms of complexity of cerebral processes and shows emergent sophoncy that make me put them in a different pot to either dogs or humans. But that's besides the point; pot driven asides alert!

what about a medical system that recommends the release of "patients" who then go on to re-offend? We can't guarantee that from happening, either.

Err, yes, I've already addressed that. I find genuine accidents more moral than government sanctioned executions which invariably WILL result in the death of innocent people. You don't have to agree.

So we're happy for them to rot to death,

How do 'treat' and 'study', with rehabilitation, if safe, as a goal equate to rotting to death? I may have been hyperbolic with an earlier statement I suppose, I hope my view is clear now.

and we're happy for them to off themselves.

Yup.

So far the only thing we take issue with is the system intervening in a medically safe and relatively pain-free manner (though I don't see the idea of someone hanging themselves with torn off strips of bedlinen being all that humane, either...)?

Suicide is a decision. Not a verdict. If it's wrong, then it's a persons own error effecting themself. Not a un-safe conviction resulting in an inoccent person dying.

And I'd all be in favour of, after screening by an ethics committee, prisoners wishing to die to be allowed to do so in a humane manner. And you've not read the link way earlier on lethal injection if you say 'medically safe and relatively pain-free manner'.

Do you believe our overcrowded jail system succeeds in that?
    Same question: in particular for murderers?

Oh god, you need to sort out the prisons, and rehabilitation doesn't apply just to murderers as one of my above examples makes clear; applying it (especially to violent crime) will cut crime and reduce the number of those who get gang-banged and criminalised to the point they take life.

And yes, it would cost money. But killing people is wrong, so killing people is wrong. And it works quite well here, thank you. It can be done, and obviously even better than here.

It seems that a majority of the US citizens prefer CP. Is that not their right?

Yup, which I've emphasised, and made clear it is not a 'moral issue', bizzarely, unless one says two similar but divergent (or convergent more likely) cultures can competently pass moral judgement on the other and it have any meaning in the different culture. Doesn't mean I have to shut-up if I think it is wrong though. You know me.

Is it not also true to say that in such reformed countries there is still a proportion of the populace that agrees with the concept of CP?

Of course; Germany is about 25% in favour, France c. 40%, Italy <5%, UK c.10%, maybe 15%; it's late so these are from memory.

But the USA is changing;

alt

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org

You don't really have a particularly large pool of evidence to construct a theory from, though, do you?
    How far do we go back? Do we decide that we can only judge people by today's standards? How long has Britain been CP-free, for example? Long enough to be sure of the outcome? Or can we go back to some of the so-called ancient civilisations, such as Rome and Greece?

Oh, I know the faults in my argument; it's half the fun. But the point IS, killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong.

And my theory (well, it's obviously not my conception) is supported by data.

(Added)

And, like I say, I didn't make it up;

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=15&did=410#IntroductionoftheDeathPenalty

In 1958, the Supreme Court had decided in Trop v. Dulles (356 U.S. 86), that the Eighth Amendment contained an "evolving standard of decency that marked the progress of a maturing society." Although Trop was not a death penalty case, abolitionists applied the Court's logic to executions and maintained that the United States had, in fact, progressed to a point that its "standard of decency" should no longer tolerate the death penalty. (Bohm, 1999)

(End Added)

In the absence of a better theory or any other theory (looks under door mat, opens cupboard), and in the light of the history of the death penalty (see above site), I'm happy with it.

And I want someone else to explain the USA/China/Iran thing; I'm sure someone could come up with a far funnier explanation, even if they didn't mean to.

All the best Ross, as you can see, i can type the hind legs off a donkey when I've had a smoke, especially of Sativa as tonight. (oh, that was a 'hope you're well best wishes' all the best, not a 'bye' all the best).

(Added)

Oh, if killing people for murder IS okay, why can't anyone go watch it or see it on TV?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:

You write to Didier: Not only do I think the death penalty is wrong, outside of the most extreme cases or where there is a real risk of re-offending ...

So you do make exceptions, then
    (Incidentally, I think that if I lean any direction it would be towrds those kind of extreme examples, too).

A murder released in error to kill again results in... one...

I think this may "potentially" be an error. They may or may not murder, but there is also the "potential" of mass-murder (though I have no statistics to support that assertion).

... yet with the miscarriage of justice the State becomes a murderer, albeit in error, by using a judicial system the State KNOWS is prone to this error.

Is the State also culpable if it releases a known murderer back into the system, who then reoffends?
    Is the State also a murderer, when it sanctions war?
    We abdicate certain responsibilities to the State, by virtue of birthright or choice (and in your own case I suspect you are more than happy with your decision to relocate, distance from children aside).

Look, you can equate dogs to humans. I don't.

Neither do I, but why don't YOU? What are your reasons for believing that one animal is better than another, excepting mental acuity? What's your justification for being speciesist? Might is right?

Being pragmatic I'd be happy to see limiting the death penalty as an initial goal in countries where it exists, but the goal is abolition.

I would agree with that, but alongside it must surely be a comparable goal of a crimefree state?
    That being the case, whilst the initial step is pragmatic, how pragmatic is the goal?

A broken thing of value is often kept; you might find out how to fix it.

And in other cultures, it might also be thrown away...

How many innocent people must a government kill before it becomes wrong Ross?

How many innocent people ,who expect their governments to provide a certain level of protection, must die due to the inappropriate release of known felons, Gyles?

If it all boils down to the competence of your representation, how can we pretend the death penalty is an efficient way of dealing out justice?

I do take your point, I honestly do. However there are two aspects that also need weighing - the willful release of someone convicted, and the heinousness of the crime. I suspect these are weighed by the lawlords, when it comes to making these kinds of decisions.

So, does being 5% safer by killing people make it a good idea?

How many murders (of innocent victims) does that 5% represent?

Yah; the comparison is between places with imprisonment and places with execution; there is no real difference, ergo, unless one produces a set for, say, murderers being let to go free, one can't state whether imprisonment makes a difference to murder rates either, compared to the other studied group. There's not a 'control' figure; you can just see that locking 'em up leads to as many murders as killing 'em.

So, given that terminal incarceration is no more effective than termination, doesn't that logically leave us with an additional option which has not been scientifically quantified (i.e.rehabilitation) and a consideration of additional factors for and against either option (e.g.risk of escape, cost to community, etc.)?

Most murderers pose no risk of re-offending. Serve time for the crime to check whether it WAS just a one off aberration, then become a useful member of society again.

Oh, so THAT'S the purpose of incarceration. Sorry, I didn't realise that ~tongue in cheek~

killing people is wrong because killing people is wrong

That sounds like just as emotional a response, rather than a logical one. I stand by MY main issue, which is the safety of the public.

How do 'treat' and 'study', with rehabilitation, if safe, as a goal equate to rotting to death? I may have been hyperbolic with an earlier statement I suppose, I hope my view is clear now.

Aye, your view is clearer, and a worthy goal, but how often is that conducted in lands that applaud themselves for being free of CP? Aren't they rather spending their moneys on an over-burgeoned prison system?

I wrote: and we're happy for them to off themselves.
    You replied: Yup.

Under current legislation you know that leads to inhumane methods of life-taking, accompanied with pain. How can you rationalise that?

Suicide is a decision. Not a verdict. If it's wrong, then it's a persons own error effecting themself. Not a un-safe conviction resulting in an inoccent person dying.

So self-determination of sentence is allowable? I've not heard of that one!

And I'd all be in favour of, after screening by an ethics committee, prisoners wishing to die to be allowed to do so in a humane manner.

What's the moral difference between someone choosing termination and having it imposed on them? - "kiiling people is wrong", right? But of course, euthanasia is another subject, just as abortion is.

And you've not read the link way earlier on lethal injection if you say 'medically safe and relatively pain-free manner'.

I have, which is why I outlined early on that I'd prefer a bullet (or 20 - close range).
    Btw, that DPIC site is certainly an excellent source of information.

Oh, if killing people for murder IS okay, why can't anyone go watch it or see it on TV?

You can, on CNN, in Iraq...

Oh god, you need to sort out the prisons, and rehabilitation doesn't apply just to murderers as one of my above examples makes clear;

I completely agree - that would be the utopia.

Doesn't mean I have to shut-up if I think it is wrong though. You know me.

And you know me, too - I'm enjoying the debate thoroughly

Thank god for baggy jumpers I say.

ROFL - I've dealt with my fair share of Alsations, too - ramming your arm further into the mouth, down the back of their lips, tends to stop them - just don't try that with a Rottweiller!!!

...that line was delivered with a wry smile and a twinkle over a very fine glass of scotch

All the best Ross, as you can see, i can type the hind legs off a donkey when I've had a smoke, especially of Sativa as tonight.

And as you can see, I can sometimes relinquish my treasured terse manner. Alas I can't claim it to a Sativa, nor in this case to a nice glass of Scotch. Gawd help us if we meet face to face on the same ground - LOL.

And I want someone else to explain the USA/China/Iran thing; I'm sure someone could come up with a far funnier explanation, even if they didn't mean to.

LOL - I'd like to see that, too
    Doesn't seem to be any takers, thusfar, huh?

• Panda
    Panda

The statement that killing is wrong, because killing is wrong is some kind of red herring of philosophy. Basically it's just a simpley put non-answer. No substance whatsoever. Why? because killing is not wrong. We kill to eat, we kill everytime we flush a toilet, and we kill for oil to run our vehicles. The killing which is punishable by death is usually a premeditated and selfish act.

Why keep mentioning China along with Iran and Saudi Arabia? We are talking about extremely different justice systems. The Muslim countries will cut off the hand of a thief. Not the hand which he stole with but the hand which he eats with. As a muslim he now is unable to eat bwcause he only has an unclean hand. Sounds cruel and unusual to me. The reason AI is involved is because of the treatment of the women who are murdered for dating or some other crock of crap from the Quran. An example, if you are a Chinese citizen and you rape or molest someone, you get the death penalty. It is enacted quickly (so no cruelly long prison life) and then everyone gets on with their life. In China everyone gets to know how quickly justice is meted out, and so there the death penalty does curb crimes. In the US the amount of time and $$$ spent on appeals (and meals) is cruel to victims families.

In the US every prisoner is allowed to get an education... even those on death row. From personal experience with ex-prisoners I can tell you that once they get out many often do not continue their studies. But maybe death row inmates are different? I don't know.

I live near 3 prisons. Recently, the warden from one prison called me to translate for a prisoner. I was not allowed anywhere near this guy. I had to translate over the phone. But just by the way he acted and tried to manipulate me and the authorities (and some other things he said) I could see why it was safer for me to be unseen. If you haven't been around prisons and the criminals inside I guess you'll never see what we are locking up. Although I hear that women's prisons are a lot better.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Panda:

Although I hear that women's prisons are a lot better.

I've seen "Prisoner Cell Bock H", and didn't get that impression

• Panda
    Panda

LOL How did I miss that one

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ross,

I had to read Abaddon's sentence twice (without sativa!) but I think this is not what he meant:

Not only do I think the death penalty is wrong, outside of the most extreme cases or where there is a real risk of re-offending I think the Dutch have it right (and they don't apply what I'm about to explain to the worst cases or the riskier ones).

Btw, I was delighted to hear about the Dutch system as it actually works (emphasis to get at least some of it across the Atlantic). I really hopes it influences the European community as a whole.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

because killing is not wrong. We kill to eat, we kill everytime we flush a toilet, and we kill for oil to run our vehicles.

actually that looks more like a red herring. we are still talking about humans here. i don't think you kill humans to eat, or everytime you flush a toilet.

and just because it happens (killing for oil for example), doesn't necessarily make it morally correct.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    I guess we'll have to wait until Gyles qualifies it for us because re-reading it, in the context you suggest, does put another slant on it that isn't immediately obvious. If you're right, then I owe him an apology.

I was delighted to hear about the Dutch system as it actually works

It is encouraging, isn't it.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hey Ross,

I meant;

Not only do I think the death penalty is wrong,

'I think the death penalty is wrong.'

outside of the most extreme cases or where there is a real risk of re-offending I think the Dutch have it right (and they don't apply what I'm about to explain to the worst cases or the riskier ones).

'Outside of the worst or riskier cases where there is a real risk of reoffending (where different rules to those I'm about to explain apply), I think the Dutch have it right.'

I was stoned, ut the original sentence still (sort of) makes sense to me...

And, yes, a potential murderer MAY kill more than one person... just as they MAY kill one person. Someone with a history of violence MAY be more likely to murder than someone without a history of violence; do we kill them because of the MAY? You didn't go doen that path (understandably!)

There's a difference, at least to me, in the degree of culpability between errors of judgement (like a parole board might make) and deliberate policies (of governments) that WILL kill innocent people. There is also a difference in likely outcome between 'may' and 'will'; the death sentence WILL kill innocent people. Releasing an individual prisoner MAY end up killing someone, and obviously release enough and one WILL kill, but what's the difference between the total murders of released murderers and the murders of an equaivalent number of unconvicted people? See below for fun with figures.

Is the State also a murderer, when it sanctions war?

It can be. You know that answer can't be answered yes or no without about sixteen volumes to clarify it. I think International Law and the Geneva Convetion are good staring points.

What are your reasons for believing that one animal is better than another, excepting mental acuity?

Why is sophoncy not reason enough? Please explain.

What's your justification for being speciesist? Might is right?

Au contraire; I think we have a duty as environmental custodians, which make 'might is right' an inappropriate description. I also think it is nice if we avoid putting animals to unneccesary suffering if they are in captivity/domesticity/the abotoir.

But I don't NEED a justification for being speciesist. All of nature is; go get a justification for specism off a rose bush!

I would agree with that, but alongside it must surely be a comparable goal of a crimefree state?
    That being the case, whilst the initial step is pragmatic, how pragmatic is the goal?

Why must an unrealistic goal (crimefree state) be in anyway coupled to eliminating the death penalty? Please explain how an unrealistic goal entered the conversation! I won't justify your goals! I never said anything about eliminating crime.

And in other cultures, it might also be thrown away...

And your point is? I was talking about European culture and American cultural differences in the DP. The whole point is different cultures have different values.

Anyway... that thing so discarded by another culture might be dug up years later and seen as valuable. Unfortunately golden death-masks fare better underground than human beings; the human beings discarded by execution for reasons we now find primative and disgusting, the ones killed by miscarriages of justice... they can't be dug up and made better.

How many innocent people ,who expect their governments to provide a certain level of protection, must die due to the inappropriate release of known felons, Gyles?

And this enages with the '5%' figure. If you feel that the 5% is a justifiable additonal level of protection to warrant killing people, then your opinion differs from me.

There is a scarcity of in-depth figures I can find on this topic; I can assure you if they were twistable one way or the other I could have provided four different studies but my calculations are admittedly off-the-cuff. I would however say the pro-killing lobby would certainly be running around screaming with joy if they could show that released murderers present an appreciable increase in risk.

How many murders (of innocent victims) does that 5% represent?

Already stated; 5% is 700 of the 14,000 (roughly accurate) annual number of murders in the USA. But 700 in 290,000,000 is a total risk of 0.00000241379/1000 per year to each person.

You would have to live 4,143,016 years to have a 1/1000 chance of being killed by a released murderer, or over 4 billion years to make it a statistical 'certainty' you would be killed by a murderer.

Can you see the absurdly small level of REAL extra protection killing murderers gives? Is killing people worth all that safety?

So, given that terminal incarceration is no more effective than termination, doesn't that logically leave us with an additional option which has not been scientifically quantified (i.e.rehabilitation)

Ross, I've been arguing for rehabilitation all along. See my comments to Nakissos.

and a consideration of additional factors for and against either option (e.g.risk of escape, cost to community, etc.)?

... which I've also mentioned!

That sounds like just as emotional a response, rather than a logical one. I stand by MY main issue, which is the safety of the public.

No, it is a bit of moral absolutism which isn't (due to the let-outs for self-defence, legal war, and different mores being applicable in different situations) absolute; it's just logical if killing people is wrong (unless you can avoid it without causing more harm), killing people is wrong (unless you can avoid it without causing more harm).

As you can avoid killing without causing more than a 0.00001834412/1000 additional chance of someone dying in an average lifespan, why the hell not?

Aye, your view is clearer, and a worthy goal, but how often is that conducted in lands that applaud themselves for being free of CP? Aren't they rather spending their moneys on an over-burgeoned prison system?

And there is the rub; I don't have figures for Holland. In the USA where loads of murderers are released on parile each year, and which has nothing like the level of rehabilitatory schemes and (I doubt) probation monitoring, that's where you have a massive 0.00001834412/1000 additional chance of someone being killed by a released murderer in an average lifespan.

The inference is that in countries with a more enlightened penal system ("heh-hehehehehehe - he said penal") it would be even lower. So even without the undoubted high funding of the Dutch system... there is STILL no real appreciable (let's face it it is on the edge of measurable or else the figures would be easy to find, (unless my searching skills have failed me)) risk of NOT killing killers.

Yes, people will die as a result, but in such small numbers that one is afforded the luxery of deciding whether it is better that you live with;

• mistakes and chance causing these unfair deaths

or

• a sentecing system that by definition WILL result in unfair deaths at the hand of the government.
    Under current legislation you know that leads to inhumane methods of life-taking, accompanied with pain. How can you rationalise that?

Already answered.

What's the moral difference between someone choosing termination and having it imposed on them? - "kiiling people is wrong", right? But of course, euthanasia is another subject, just as abortion is.

Yup; euthanasia is dying with dignity according to certain protective ethical criteria, either by active choice, by previous request, or when there is no 'someone' left as determnined by family and doctors under law. It's either a choice or ending the pulse of a person's body who has ceased being a 'person'.

Abortion is terminating the life of a gestating human and is normally impossible legally beyond a point where cerebral complexity really starts to develop to a point where meaningful comparisons can be made with born humans. It is the exercise of choice by the gestating mother to end the life of something which is not yet legally or semantically a 'person'.

And my point re. TV, as I think you know, is that if it is okay to kill murderers why is it so hard to watch murderers being killed?

I mean, as it DOESN'T make the public safer in reality, but just serves the purpose of making them FEEL better, why not turn it into entertainment as well and make them REALLY feel better?

Historically it's always been a crowd-puller; but hey, if we think WATCHING killing people is uncivilised now, how come the KILLING is still civilised? Is a murderer killed in private somehow more moral than one killed on CBS?

I'm off home...

Panda

The statement that killing is wrong, because killing is wrong is some kind of red herring of philosophy. Basically it's just a simpley put non-answer. No substance whatsoever. Why? because killing is not wrong. We kill to eat, we kill everytime we flush a toilet, and we kill for oil to run our vehicles. The killing which is punishable by death is usually a premeditated and selfish act.

There are many elaborations in this thread regarding the ethics of warfare, self-defence and being an omnivore. You have not taken any of those into account, and thus I'll wait until you do. With the elaborations it is a simplification, not a red herring.

Why keep mentioning China along with Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Because they, along with the USA, execute the most people. It is surprising that a democracy has the same execution policies as totalitarian non-democratic states, two of which are run on a religious or feudal basis, especially when most democratic countries don't have the death penalty.

We are talking about extremely different justice systems. The Muslim countries will cut off the hand of a thief. Not the hand which he stole with but the hand which he eats with. As a muslim he now is unable to eat bwcause he only has an unclean hand. Sounds cruel and unusual to me.

Why are you talking about Shariah law for theft (or the first four thefts) when we are discussing the death penalty? Hell, the three-strikes rule is pretty barbaric, but that's a different discussion.

The reason AI is involved is because of the treatment of the women who are murdered for dating or some other crock of crap from the Quran.

No, the reason AI are involved is AI supports the ending of the death penalty. It's avirtuall a founding principle.

An example, if you are a Chinese citizen and you rape or molest someone, you get the death penalty.

I suggest you inform yourself of the non-violent crimes that China also executes people for.

It is enacted quickly (so no cruelly long prison life) and then everyone gets on with their life.

And if the conviction is in error, then what?

In China everyone gets to know how quickly justice is meted out, and so there the death penalty does curb crimes.

Ah, so we should set up a fleet of execution vans to tour the country-side, as they have done recently in China?

In the US the amount of time and $$$ spent on appeals (and meals) is cruel to victims families.

If you want to end the appeals process there is no earthly point in discussing this with you, as ending the appeals process is irrational.

In the US every prisoner is allowed to get an education... even those on death row.

From personal experience with ex-prisoners I can tell you that once they get out many often do not continue their studies.

Ah, you missed the comments about how important probation is in rehabilitaion.

But maybe death row inmates are different? I don't know.

Are you kidding? First, not all murderers end up on death row. If they did you'd have to kill 38 people a day; maybe those Chinese vans ARE a good idea. Second, unless a person on death row has the chacter to improve themselves in the face of death, why the hell should they study on Death Row? Which part of 'Deatrh Row' don't you get?

I live near 3 prisons. Recently, the warden from one prison called me to translate for a prisoner. I was not allowed anywhere near this guy. I had to translate over the phone. But just by the way he acted and tried to manipulate me and the authorities (and some other things he said) I could see why it was safer for me to be unseen. If you haven't been around prisons and the criminals inside I guess you'll never see what we are locking up.

Oh, please! Are you telling me the death penalty is wise because of that?

Although I hear that women's prisons are a lot better.

Not if you read what I have read; the UK, for example, has as screwed a sentencing disparity between men and women as the US has between blacks and whites. I note you've not responded to the sentencing disparity of races in the USA though.

Look, without being rude you've missed a lot of points already made in this thread, as your post shows. I suggest, with a friendly smile, you quickly breeze through and make a note of them.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:
    Thanks for the qualification. Sorry about the misapplication of your point.

Regarding the "potential" for reoffending, I'm thinking particularly here of those who are inappropriately adjudged reformed. In those cases the only pragmatic difference between the form of termination is that one takes longer - one with a medic, one in a cage (just an opinion).

Why is sophoncy not reason enough? Please explain.

Now, now, I asked first - LOL.
    Surely the difference is only a few thousand years of evolution?

I think we have a duty as environmental custodians

So do I but on what basis do YOU claim that duty?

I also think it is nice if we avoid putting animals to unneccesary suffering if they are in captivity/domesticity/the abotoir.

Like caged for 23 hours a day?

Why must an unrealistic goal (crimefree state) be in anyway coupled to eliminating the death penalty?

That comment was in connection with yours:"Being pragmatic I'd be happy to see limiting the death penalty as an initial goal in countries where it exists, but the goal is abolition.". Again a potential misread. Soz.

And your point is? I was talking about European culture and American cultural differences in the DP. The whole point is different cultures have different values.

I was talking about European and American cultures, too. The American one seems more "disposable" than the European one. We're catching up fast, though.

...the human beings discarded by execution for reasons we now find primative and disgusting, the ones killed by miscarriages of justice... they can't be dug up and made better.

Neither can the one's allowed to "live" to death...

And this enages with the '5%' figure. If you feel that the 5% is a justifiable additonal level of protection to warrant killing people, then your opinion differs from me.

Is it really going to come down to figures?
    What is an acceptible level to you? 50%, 75%, 90% - you already wrote off 100% as unrealistic

...my calculations are admittedly off-the-cuff.

I know, s'ok, this isn't a research paper

Can you see the absurdly small level of REAL extra protection killing murderers gives? Is killing people worth all that safety?

Sure, as a statistic, though i guess you only need to ask the parents to see an added dimension to the "human value".

Ross, I've been arguing for rehabilitation all along. See my comments to Nakissos.

See my reply to Didier

it's just logical if killing people is wrong (unless you can avoid it without causing more harm), killing people is wrong (unless you can avoid it without causing more harm).

So we ARE reduced to acceptable cost! The cost being felonous human life vs the minute additional risk plus the cost to the community supporting them.

The inference is that in countries with a more enlightened penal system ("heh-hehehehehehe - he said penal") it would be even lower. So even without the undoubted high funding of the Dutch system... there is STILL no real appreciable (let's face it it is on the edge of measurable or else the figures would be easy to find, (unless my searching skills have failed me)) risk of NOT killing killers.

Junior moments are more fun than senior one's for sure
    So are you telling me that the appreciably high cost of the Dutch penal system hasn't improved the percentile risk of NOT killing killers?

And my point re. TV, as I think you know, is that if it is okay to kill murderers why is it so hard to watch murderers being killed?

And yet both murders and executions (see "Green Mile" with Tom Hanks) are televised in entertainment.

Are you for giving a felon the opportunity to choose euthanasia over continued imprisonment at sentencing and parole boards and anytime inbetween?

I wonder how the proportion of "State - murdered" innocents" v's "released known fellon - murdered" innocents, compares...
    It seems like America has plenty of checks and balances. How many innocents do they "murder"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit