Name Things That You Can Be Counseled For

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

For quite a few years my life just wasn't complete unless I was being dragged into the 'back room" to meet with the elders.

Geebuz, where should I start?

1. Having a 2 door car
    2. for being in a hotel room with 5 other JW's, but one was female [I was up for being an MS, and her family complained that I shouldn't be one. I was anyways]
    3. my girlfriend wore to a JW wedding a dress that was red and too tight and too short. I heard about this for months after the elders meeting. You know they were jealous
    4. for listening to 'rock' music
    5. I DJ'd JW weddings and was CONSTANTLY counseled by elders not to play hard, fast music. I finally figured out that it was just better to instead play slow songs and then dance with their daughter's
    6. Seeing 'R' rated movies
    7. Playing 'Lazer Tag'. Too much like war
    8. Playing "Risk" and other 'war' board games. I aske dif it's ok to play chess if I can't play war games. That wasn't met too well
    9. For Dreaming. I chit you not. I was pulled into an elders meeting after the Sunday WatchTower because the elders wanted to talk to me about what I have been dreaming about. At the time my friend and I were reading a book about 'Lucid Dreaming'. It was pretty cool. Word got around that we were praticing 'illicit dreaming', which is not even close. The elders felt stupid about bringing it up, but then when they found out what it really was, they told us the Lucid Dreaming could open our minds to demons and that we should stop
    10. Underage Drinking
    11. For having a 'skater' hair cut [The muffin head thing]
    12. For having hair that is too spiky
    13. Hair that is too long
    14. For putting blond streaks in my hair
    15. For dying my entire head of hair red. Come to think of it, I was never counseled on this, but then again I was a MS and the only guy Regular Pioneer, so they looked the other way I guess
    16. For having 'BA'. You mean B.O. I asked? No, "Bad Attitude"
    17. For inviting 120 underage JW's to a flyer party that took place at a local bar that I rented to watch a "Battle of the Bands" between 4 JW bands. A few parents showed up to watch us, said we did really well. I rented a cop to watch over everyone to make sure there was no underage drinking. My elders had a coronary arrest over it. It serioulsy never occured to me that there was anything wrong with what I did, otherwise why would I mail out 120 flyers? I still say my band was the best.

That's all for now.

• jb
    jb

I was counseled shortly after my brother died because I sat with one of my best friends( who was a boy) and we didn't leave a seat between us. I was 15 he was 13.

I was also in trouble for moving out of my parents house at the age of 22. I wasn't getting married so they saw no real need for me to move.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    SWAN -- I thought it was R movies that you would be counseled for. X would get you DF. I was out of the JWs when NC-17 came out, so I dunno about that.

Were over you 13 at the time?

Yup... we all were. About ten of us (all JWs) went into that movie and we all got counceled.

JB -- lso in trouble for moving out of my parents house at the age of 22. I wasn't getting married so they saw no real need for me to move.

Control. That is why they did that. They wanted to make sure someone was able to exercise control over you. First rule of independence: Whoever pays the bills makes the rules.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Some of the rules we've seen over the years, some of which have been directed at us from time to time. We would just roll our eyes and say, WHATEVER

Two door cars, can't use them in the service

Too many gatherings - why they couldn't be called parties who knows

No wanking

Skirt length inspections by some over zealous elders

Various hair length inquisitions against the young brothers

Not enough gatherings

Having too much money

Too many autos

Too big a house

Too many vacations

Dangling earings or earings that were too large

No hose or panty hose, even in the heat of summer one CO told all the sisters he wouldn't work with them if they failed to wear hose in service. My wife told him to "get the hell out" of her car. Wish I'd seen it.

On and on and on... rules of the week keep on coming

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Things I personally got counseled for:

Having sideburns that were too long

Having an afro (I couldn't afford a haircut back then)

Having a shaved head

Listening to gothic music (the Eldurrs didn't even know what the hell goth music was.)

Wearing a leather jacket, black jeans, ankle high black boots, and a black t-shirt with a wallet chain and a shotbead necklace.

Cybering with a "wordly" girl.

Wearing a beanie with an Anarchy symbol on it.

Engaging in "Extreme" sports. (Snowskateboarding)

Having a Van Dyke beard.

Wearing black clothing in general.

Smoking catnip

And watching my close friend kick it with the elder's daughter in my room!

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

How the F did they find out you cybered with a worldly girl, CRR?

I was counseld for having sideburns a 1/2" too long, because, as the elder pointed out, I was copying Elvis Presley. It was 1997. Elvis died before I was born. This one took me by surprise.

Shortly before I grew a goatee. THE 7 YEAR OLD KID OF THE VISITING SPEAKER ratted on me to his dad when I was handling mics! I knew I had that one coming.

I was counseled for bringing my worldly girlfriend to meeting with me. Eventually she was baptized, despite how they treated her. But, expected it.

Months & months later, an elder's wide saw us sitting "alone" together in a crowd of about 4,000 at the Romeoville Assembly Hall. She wouldn't relent until we sat with her family. Had my (now ex)girlfriend in tears, but that little qhore always was a bit of a crybaby. Took me by surprise.

• professor
    professor

1. Asking Elders if they were ready for a pre-batism meeting in a too impatient way (I can't believe I was actually excited about being baptized.)

2. Coming up with my own date for Armageddon and presenting my idea to the circuit overseer (yes I did some dumb things.)

3. Circulating a joke in print making fun of the presiding overseer

4. I did a demonstration on the platform about persecution at school. (I guess instructing other kids to shoot rubberbands at me was inapproriate.)

5. Making my own return visit sheets that were easier to use (the society's way is always best)

6. Making a telephone directory for the congregation (In the great tribulation it would be used to track down the Witnesses.)

7. Speaking with too much authority in my meeting comments (I was supposed to sound more humble)

8. Missing a spot on my face when I shaved

9. Taking No-Doze (some kids go right from that to hard drugs)

Now that I look at all of this, I guess I was kind of a bad Witness.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Dying my hair red, dying my hair black, putting streaks in my hair, changing my hair color too often, Also what everyone else has said

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

Wearing too trendy of clothes! Get this one, working out too much! I should be devoting my time to the ministry instead of the gym. I used to be a workout finatic, and I always got flack for it! Isn't that hilarious! Now I get a workout just running after my two kids all day long! sheesh! Kids are a workout! Let me tell ya! Oh yeah, I also got counceled by this sister and brother that I was leading their bible study astray because he had the hots for me. The sister kept insisting that she and I study with the guy alone. I kept saying " Do you really think that's a very good idea". She was a pioneer and she wanted the hours, obviously, so she kept having us study together. So the guy ends up liking me and it's my fault. Unfreakinbelievable. These people are clueless!

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

You can be counseled when your husband hits you for not being a "submissive enough" wife:(

Commenting too much or too "authoritatively" at meetings (usually women)

Refusing to wear nylons under your ankle length skirt on a ninety degree day.

Owning a two door five speed sports car which you regularly drive to the service meeting, even though you own a van;)

changing your hair color too many times

wearing black clothing

disciplining a pioneer's grandaughters while chaperoning during a school function

admitting that you like unicorns and dragons

carrying out your physical therapist's orders to practice yoga to help you deal with chronic pain after everything else you've tried has failed, including drugs

reading the Bible and coming up with your own understanding of what you have read

arranging to help a sister who is having a hard time after giving birth, after the elders have ignored her husband's request for help and he comes to you in frustrated tears

not being able to go out in field service for four months because you are so sick with morning sickness that you can't leave your bed, let alone your house

accidentally getting pregnant, even though you are married

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit