I need to pray, but this proves there's no one to pray to.

by SixofNine 76 Replies latest social current

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    why do we talk at all?

Talking as in discussion iit is, not banal statements. I might as well say the sky is pink.

Now about the WTS...............................remember them?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

ozzipost, if the theodicy problem is too complicated for you to understand, just ignore it, ok? it's ok if your sky is pink, but you should probably consider to stop taking hallucinogene pharmaceutic products. it probably helps. thank you for contributing to the discussion anyways.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The problem with the word "God" is that we cannot change its definition as we might wish (even though that's what theology is all about). Every suffering in the world condemns the idea of "God" as almighty, all-knowing and loving Creator and Provider. It doesn't rule out any belief, just this one. I can still believe in a helpless god (lower case intended), suffering with every sufferer, etc. A big part of Christianity is about this. But if I insist in calling him "God", I can't help thinking of him again as "almighty... etc." And this concept will collapse again at the next experience of suffering, or blatant injustice.

Remember Ivan Karamazov: no redemption can be worth one child's tears.

I can pray. I can't help praying. Whom I pray to I don't know, but I would not call him God.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

google:Aye, that'd be the approach. Attack the messenger...

So I've ascertained that you like Baal (especially when he's in the privvy) and want a new washing machine (else have a spare one to give away).
    What else should I know?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

littletoe, what god do you have to offer then? an almighty one? a good one? one who can and would actually help someone of us? give me his name and some evidence of his existence, so i can start following him and give him burnt offerings.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I can pray. I can't help praying. Whom I pray to I don't know, but I would not call him God.

"God" is merely a title, like "pharoah" or "president". The entity that you pray too, do you see him/her/it as "almighty", "loving", "all-knowing"? If so, the same complaints can be registered regardless of title.

As humans we would be appalled if a parent allowed his child to be killed when he could easily stop it. So, yes, we have a difficult time understanding why "God" is doing that very thing. Hopefully he understands that we have nothing else to compare him/her/it to but ourselves.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    "God" is merely a title, like "pharoah" or "president".

I don't agree. The monotheistic concept of "God" (capital) is very different to the polytheistic concept of "gods". The power of the gods is limited by other gods, or fate, or justice as transcendent to the gods. Not all the gods are powerful, or good, for that matter.

The entity that you pray too, do you see him/her/it as "almighty", "loving", "all-knowing"?

Certainly not, and that's why I would not call him/her/it "God" (capital). As I said, I don't know whom I pray to (sometimes). Probably nobody. I just notice in some situations I do feel like praying. That's all.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

google:
    I have nothing to offer you that you can't see yourself. After all, I'm not the one proselytising...

Define "almighty", define "good", define "love", define "right".
    These will all be subjective definitions, especially in a global context.

The God I love doesn't want burnt offerings, so I would suggest you likely want no part of Him.
    As for evidence - it's in front of your nose, but you cannot see it; it's in your ears, but you cannot hear; it saturates your soul, but you cannot feel...

How do YOU make sense of the worlds anguish?
    What tools are in your chest of coping-mechanisms?
    Try offering something constructive yourself...

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Certainly not, and that's why I would not call him/her/it "God" (capital). As I said, I don't know whom I pray to (sometimes). Probably nobody. I just notice in some situations I do feel like praying. That's all.

Am I being intrusive? It's just that I have never heard of someone praying, and it not being to a god. Prayer, as I've learned it to mean, is a petition/supplication to God.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bridget:
    Have you never had that internal yearning to reach out to someone/something, without actually knowing what it was?
    In those circumstances many reach out in prayer to a "god" or a "something" they hope exists.

Is it instinct, the subconscious, reality, or vain hope?
    Each must answer as they feel...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit