I need to pray, but this proves there's no one to pray to.

by SixofNine 76 Replies latest social current

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

You say God is both omnipotent and perfectly good. If so, there ought not to be any evil in the world, since your God would be both able and willing to prevent it. But there is evil in the world; so either there is no God, or he is not omnipotent, or he is not perfectly good.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

It's not uncommon to see referrals to 'god' as: he/him.

That being said, I have often wondered at that, that because of religions' constant referral to God as male, if he/him, is not: Manmade?

Just wondering.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

google:

You say God is both omnipotent and perfectly good. If so, there ought not to be any evil in the world, since your God would be both able and willing to prevent it. But there is evil in the world; so either there is no God, or he is not omnipotent, or he is not perfectly good.
    Is that the sum list of possibilities? The story proves nothing beyond the capacity of humans to act barbarically. In this case likely due to mental unbalance. My next question would be - "in a situation like this, what is there to pray about"? Pray for the kid? It's dead.
    Pray for the mother? She's receiving care.
    Pray for the husband and the rest of the family? Likely, but it won't bring back the child, nor restore confidence in the mother. Pray that it never happened? Too late, and now it's indelibly printed on all our minds. That is, of course, assuming that prayer is about presenting wish-lists to God... The whole thing is tragic, but putting it in context, it's been happening throughout recorded human history and whilst it may seem uncommon in the West, it happens in other parts of the world. Tragic, senseless, barbaric, inhuman, deranged, pitiful.............

• El blanko
    El blanko

"Grow up"

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

For the Schlosser Family

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

LittleToe: Is that the sum list of possibilities?
    i think so... is something missing?

El Blankito: "Grow Up!"
    i'll try if you show me how...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

google:
    Have you ever had to deal with other cultures, for example African ones?
    I ask because their viewpoint on life is quite different to (for example) the Scottish one that I'm used to.
    Why do you assume that God thinks the same way we do?

As for other options: He could always have been in the restroom, like Baal - you missed that one.
    No doubt there are others.

I object to making definitive lists on the grounds that it's what the WTS does to make their point (black, white, and occasionally one shade of grey). It's ultimately a strawman, because you create a god that you want to demolish, and then set about doing the same.
    It can hardly be satisfying...

Meanwhile there's a more humane issue to consider (i.e. a grieving family), without using it as an opportunity to knock believers. Each of us use whatever tools we have to make sense out of this senseless world. Why do you desire to remove an effective one, from those who desire to use it?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

ok, i forgot the definition of "God". i'm talking about loving elohim/adonai/yehwoh from hebrew/christian mythology.

baal in the restroom would be perfectly ok... but that wouldn't make him omnipotent, neither perfectly good. i'd actually prefer such a god, or better even, a polytheist pantheon. makes much more sense. but i'm not sure if i'd pray to them.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    baal in the restroom would be perfectly ok... but that wouldn't make him omnipotent, neither perfectly good. i'd actually prefer such a god

And?? Why do you feel the need to tell people? Proselytising perhaps?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

And?? Why do you feel the need to tell people? Proselytising perhaps?

interesting question... why do we talk at all? why don't we simply close this board? very intelligent, indeed... you just won 99 points, for 100 points you would have gotten a washing machine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit