Blacks and Voting

by Mecurious? 92 Replies latest social current

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Wait a minute, I want to make sure I understand this correctly. What reason are you saying that Reagan chose Philadelphia, Mississippi for his first major campaign speech?
    IMO, he was just doing typical Republican race-baiting. Didn't you read the article I linked? It's pretty much in line with what I think about the subject.

Big, I try and read through the articles people link but, to be honest, I don't have enough free hours in a day to read all the articles people reference. It's hard enough to find the time to read through all the posts. When I get the time, I'll go back to it.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    However, my point here never was to justify voting patterns. I was simply answering your question concerning those voting patterns. I'm glad you were able to get some things off your chest, though.

Well, I appreciate your response. I'm not much interested in "getting things off my chest" but instead am interested in reading and debating a differnt point of view. I guess as a final thought, my personal feeling is that today the dividing line is less "black" vs. "white" as it is the "have nots" vs. the "haves." Like I said before, what I find insulting is someone like Jesse Jackson "deliverying" the black vote. He was just on ABCNews discussing this topic. Why don't I ever see a hispanic or Asian community leader saying that they are going to deliver their group's vote? In the grand scheme of things, this is probably something very minor. Anyway, I don't believe Jesse Jackson is a bad guy or for that matter neither is Mayor Richard Daley. I don't believe they are purposely trying to screw the poor, (well, maybe they are) I just believe that they put their own interests waaaay before the interests of the people they supposely are trying to help. But if you want to talk about screwing people, the former governer Ryan of Illinois was/is the biggest crook of them all. I'm just tired of seeing the average guy getting screwed, whether it be Jesse Jackson diverty donations to some lady he got pregnant and had to pay off or that crook governer Ryan blantly selling political favors. My only comment is (and I have to carefuly word this) many white republicans responded to the Ryan scandal by voting democrat in the last election. Here in Illinois, the republicans lost almost every race. I just wish I saw the same response among the black community when scandals arise. IMO the same people year after year are elected because people like Jesse Jackson don't want to rock the boat because he has a vested interest in keeping his friends in office.

• teejay
    teejay

Robatty,

There's a lot I could say on the subject of Mr. Jesse Jackson, but I'll sum up my thoughts on the subject by simply saying that IMO there is in Hell a special ring of fire reserved for charlatans like him. He has never, is not now, nor will he ever do anything of meritorious distinction for Black people... or anybody else, for that matter.

The absurdity of the idea that Kerry (or anyone associated with him) is yet another in a long line of politicians who's put Mr. Jackson on the payroll is staggering. Even more daunting is the feeling that in the US, in 2004, there are Blacks who actually are still moved by the man.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

African America To The Rescue Here is another take on black voting:

African America to the Rescue
    By Marc Ash
    t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Thursday 28 October 2004

Well here we are again, broke down and miles from nowhere. Every day eventually turns into night and we're in the dark part of it now. I often wonder, if it were not for African Americans would we have any civil rights at all? They're the only ones who will fight for them. Most Americans love to talk about freedom. They say they're willing to fight and die for it. I have my doubts, when they won't even vote for it.

It's ironic that white intimidators used to administer literacy tests to African Americans before allowing them to vote. If anyone needs to pass a voter's test, it would be the folks planning to vote in policies that will hurt them. For some reason, every four years, the vast majority of American voters line up on opposite sides of the field like it was a sporting event and forgo the facts in favor of the contest. They adopt positions that have about as much to do with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as filing for unemployment does. Test failed.

For, whatever reason, African Americans won't vote against their own best interests. No matter how much you try to convince them, it's like trying to get a cat to take a bath. We often hear that, "our nation is deeply divided." Whose nation? Not the African American nation - they know perfectly well who to vote for. They will vote for freedom and liberty and they'll kick down the door to do it if necessary.

In the early 1960s, as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. began his march to freedom, the journalists of the day marveled that there were "white people joining him too!" They shouldn't have been so surprised. If you truly cared about the bill of rights, it was the only game in town. African American leaders of the day like Dr. King were the only ones who would speak out in favor of human and civil rights. White leaders, short of John Kennedy, wouldn't even touch it. The massive anti-Vietnam War movement was built on the foundation laid by the civil rights movement. But it was the African Americans who led the way in the early going.

To be fair, African Americans were not fighting for principle but rather, often, for their lives. The one hundred years that had passed since reconstruction had changed very little in the deep south. Harassment, intimidation, economic reprisals, and physical violence awaited African Americans attempting to register or vote. It worked. In 1960, when forty two percent of Mississippi's population was African American, only two percent were registered to vote.

Things were about to change. In 1960 John F. Kennedy ran in part on the promise of a civil rights act. He would be slain a year before The Civil Rights Act of 1964 came to pass. In 1961 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., working with the The Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), began a series of marches, actions and rallies that did what they were intended to do: attract the attention of high minded whites. That too worked. In addition to the civil rights act, 1964 saw a determined Lyndon Johnson, never known as a civil rights champion before, lay out his plan for a "Great Society." It included the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Johnson won the loyalty of African American voters for the Democratic party but drove the southern white voters away, opening the door for a white-Republican alliance that dominates the south to this day.

Dr. King, for his part, drove home the importance of voting time and again as a cornerstone of African American progress. He predicted that voting would bring political power to the African American community. It did. Over the years the African American vote has become both crucial and coveted. In fact, the African American vote would have been the margin for victory in the U.S. presidential election in 2000, had the votes been counted.

Some Things Never Change

The idea of an African American voting still strikes fear in the hearts of many Americans. The notion that such irrational fear only existed in the deep south is another myth. What's happening today in Cleveland, Ohio is not very different from what happened in Birmingham, Alabama in 1960. The violence is muted but intimidation and exclusion are still fair game.

On Tuesday, America will be faced with the daunting task of reclaiming its democratic process by electoral means. Lucky for America, those who have the most experience in the struggle are once again at the center of it. Indeed, once again it's African America to the rescue. They will need the support of their neighbors, now more than ever.

"It's been a long time comin'."

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Mr. Jesse Jackson, but I'll sum up my thoughts on the subject by simply saying that IMO there is in Hell a special ring of fire reserved for charlatans like him

Cmon Teejay. Don't be so stingy with your rings man. Lets add one more for good measure.

Six that was a great article concise and to the point.

M'

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Why do you think Ronald Reagan chose Philadelphia, Mississippi ( the place known only for the murders of 4 civil rights workers) as the site to give his first major campaign speech for the Presidency? ""

I have already proved this was not the case. Does reality matter to you? I am sorry you cannot acept this fact. But hey, "victim for life" status is really appealing to some....

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Does reality matter to you?

The reality is that Ronald Reagan gave a speech using the phrase "state rights" in a place known only for the murder of four civil rights workers. The article you posted earlier as "proof" for whatever the position is you're taking basically implies that Reagan didn't know his audience and didn't know how the words he used would be interpreted. Great communicator....go figure.

• JT
    JT

JT,

Am I correct in saying that you think the Black people who could have voted but stayed home during the 2000 election are responsible for Black voters being disenfranchised during said election?

####### NOPE, those who stayed home could have made a difference- i am sure more than 500 black folks in FL stayed home, I have more folks in my subdivision than that as for being disenfranchised- I agree many are, but this is the problem- if the man is completely and 100% responsible and he decides never to change his views, then following your logic, black folks are doomed since we will not be able to get beyond our disenfranchisment UNTIL THE MAN CHANGES PERSONALLy I DON'T BELEIVE we have to sit and wait until THE MAN changes his views to help ourselves, would it be wonderful if THE MAN said, "hey you and i are brothers, cut either one of us and we bleed" yea it would BUT are we suppose to wait till that announcement is made on CNN. or are there things we can do right now to improve our condition I don't deny it is happening, i just don't feel that it is something that by marching it out every 4 yrs is going to help us- as i mention - there are 2 things in life, things we can control and things we can't, to complain so loudly about the THINGS WE CAN'T CONTROL, we can't make THE MAN veiw us as his bro or equal-\ but there are things we can control, and my point stands, if we control the things we can we would be further along than we are, , would we be as far as we should be, of course not, but we certainly would be further along than we are- like i said, the bro from africa and the island show it can be done- bottom line

• JT
    JT

My goodness, JT!

If I didn't know better, I'd say there was a little bit of self-loathing going there.

No self-loathing, just calling a spade a spade, let me ask you

Do you beleive that despite all we are exping as black folks- we could be further along regardless of what the greater society does or not?

or do you beleive that until the greater soiety accepts us a full brother and equals the conditions of the black community must remain as it is?

i'm not in anyway saying that racism is not alive and well , my only point is, OK it's here, so what do we do? I beleive that despite it we still can do better than we are, do you believe that ?

or do you believe that until every single pc of racism is removed from the land our commnity will just have to continue as is?

&&&&&&&&&&

At the beginning of the thread, Mecurious simply asked why blacks don't vote. Did you even come close to commenting on his question?

I thought I did, if not my bad

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

You should have seen Oprah one day last week. I cought the last 5 minutes of the show and they were talking about this same issue. If blacks today would realise just what their ancesters went through to even have the chance to vote they would realise just how much it mattered.

That show was the clincher to my getting my butt out there to vote to. Women once couldn't vote either and I'll be damn if I ever let an election go by from now on without my vote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit