Blacks and Voting

by Mecurious? 92 Replies latest social current

• bigboi
    bigboi

Thi Chi....I'm misinformed you say?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,399921,00.html

Lott, Reagan and Republican Racism If the GOP wants to attract black voters, argues TIME's Jack White, it must confront the legacy not only of Trent Lott, but also of former President Reagan
    By JACK WHITE

ARNIE SACHS /CNP/GETTY IMAGES Southern Strategy: The race question has haunted Reagan and the GOP for decades

Douglas Brinkley: Mississippi Has Left Lott Behind
    TIME: Who Could Replace Lott?
    CNN: Lott Tells BET Comments Were 'Repugnant'

Saturday, Dec. 14, 2002Here's some advice for Republicans eager to attract more African-American supporters: don't stop with Trent Lott. Blacks won't take their commitment to expanding the party seriously until they admit that the GOP's wrongheadedness about race goes way beyond Lott and infects their entire party. The sad truth is that many Republican leaders remain in a massive state of denial about the party's four-decade-long addiction to race-baiting. They won't make any headway with blacks by bashing Lott if they persist in giving Ronald Reagan a pass for his racial policies.

The same could be said, of course, about such Republican heroes as, Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon or George Bush the elder, all of whom used coded racial messages to lure disaffected blue collar and Southern white voters away from the Democrats. Yet it's with Reagan, who set a standard for exploiting white anger and resentment rarely seen since George Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door, that the Republican's selective memory about its race-baiting habit really stands out.

Space doesn't permit a complete list of the Gipper's signals to angry white folks that Republicans prefer to ignore, so two incidents in which Lott was deeply involved will have to suffice. As a young congressman, Lott was among those who urged Reagan to deliver his first major campaign speech in Philadelphia, Mississippi, where three civil rights workers were murdered in one of the 1960s' ugliest cases of racist violence. It was a ringing declaration of his support for "states' rights" ? a code word for resistance to black advances clearly understood by white Southern voters.

Then there was Reagan's attempt, once he reached the White House in 1981, to reverse a long-standing policy of denying tax-exempt status to private schools that practice racial discrimination and grant an exemption to Bob Jones University. Lott's conservative critics, quite rightly, made a big fuss about his filing of a brief arguing that BJU should get the exemption despite its racist ban on interracial dating. But true to their pattern of white-washing Reagan's record on race, not one of Lott's conservative critics said a mumblin' word about the Gipper's deep personal involvement. They don't care to recall that when Lott suggested that Reagan's regime take BJU's side in a lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service, Reagan responded, "We ought to do it." Two years later the U.S. Supreme Court in a resounding 8-to-1 decision ruled that Reagan was dead wrong and reinstated the IRS's power to deny BJU's exemption.

Republican leaders and their apologists tend to go into a frenzy of denial when members of the liberal media cabal bring up these inconvenient facts. It's that lack of candor, of course, that presents the biggest obstacle to George W. Bush's commendable and long overdue campaign to persuade more African-Americans to defect from the Democrats to the Republicans. It's doomed to fail until the GOP fesses up its past addiction to race-baiting, and makes a sincere attempt to kick the habit.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Thi Chi....I'm misinformed you say?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,399921,00.html

Lott, Reagan and Republican Racism If the GOP wants to attract black voters, argues TIME's Jack White, it must confront the legacy not only of Trent Lott, but also of former President Reagan
    By JACK WHITE

ARNIE SACHS /CNP/GETTY IMAGES Southern Strategy: The race question has haunted Reagan and the GOP for decades

Douglas Brinkley: Mississippi Has Left Lott Behind
    TIME: Who Could Replace Lott?
    CNN: Lott Tells BET Comments Were 'Repugnant'

Saturday, Dec. 14, 2002Here's some advice for Republicans eager to attract more African-American supporters: don't stop with Trent Lott. Blacks won't take their commitment to expanding the party seriously until they admit that the GOP's wrongheadedness about race goes way beyond Lott and infects their entire party. The sad truth is that many Republican leaders remain in a massive state of denial about the party's four-decade-long addiction to race-baiting. They won't make any headway with blacks by bashing Lott if they persist in giving Ronald Reagan a pass for his racial policies.

The same could be said, of course, about such Republican heroes as, Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon or George Bush the elder, all of whom used coded racial messages to lure disaffected blue collar and Southern white voters away from the Democrats. Yet it's with Reagan, who set a standard for exploiting white anger and resentment rarely seen since George Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door, that the Republican's selective memory about its race-baiting habit really stands out.

Space doesn't permit a complete list of the Gipper's signals to angry white folks that Republicans prefer to ignore, so two incidents in which Lott was deeply involved will have to suffice. As a young congressman, Lott was among those who urged Reagan to deliver his first major campaign speech in Philadelphia, Mississippi, where three civil rights workers were murdered in one of the 1960s' ugliest cases of racist violence. It was a ringing declaration of his support for "states' rights" ? a code word for resistance to black advances clearly understood by white Southern voters.

Then there was Reagan's attempt, once he reached the White House in 1981, to reverse a long-standing policy of denying tax-exempt status to private schools that practice racial discrimination and grant an exemption to Bob Jones University. Lott's conservative critics, quite rightly, made a big fuss about his filing of a brief arguing that BJU should get the exemption despite its racist ban on interracial dating. But true to their pattern of white-washing Reagan's record on race, not one of Lott's conservative critics said a mumblin' word about the Gipper's deep personal involvement. They don't care to recall that when Lott suggested that Reagan's regime take BJU's side in a lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service, Reagan responded, "We ought to do it." Two years later the U.S. Supreme Court in a resounding 8-to-1 decision ruled that Reagan was dead wrong and reinstated the IRS's power to deny BJU's exemption.

Republican leaders and their apologists tend to go into a frenzy of denial when members of the liberal media cabal bring up these inconvenient facts. It's that lack of candor, of course, that presents the biggest obstacle to George W. Bush's commendable and long overdue campaign to persuade more African-Americans to defect from the Democrats to the Republicans. It's doomed to fail until the GOP fesses up its past addiction to race-baiting, and makes a sincere attempt to kick the habit.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Two times so you don't miss it. Oh, and Roybatty....nvm those questions, ok?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

You claimed:

""IMO, its no coincidence that Ronald Reagan started his campaign for President in the same small Mississippi community where four civil rights workers were murdered.""

No where does it state what you claim. nowhere. what do you take us for?

I Only see propaganda ....

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

This was not his first Major speech. And he is misquoted in your story. That really makes suspect the rest of the information...

"""Here is what Reagan actually said :

What we have to do is bring back the recognition that the people of this country can solve its problems. I still believe the answer to any problem lies with the people. I believe in state's rights and I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. I believe we have distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended to be given in the Constitution to that federal establishment. (Emphasis added.)

To be sure, it is difficult to imagine that Reagan was oblivious to the historical baggage of the phrase "states' rights" in Mississippi, and it cannot be ruled out that he was conscious of the problematic implication of his choice of words, just as Jimmy Carter was not presumed innocent of his use of "ethnic purity" in 1976. But "states' rights" was a sound principle of federalism that was debased by Democratic party rule in the south, for which it is not Republicans who owe an apology. Reagan had a long and well-known record of criticizing centralized government power, and this is how the media at the time interpreted his statement. "Most of those at the rally," the New York Times reported, "apparently regarded the statement as having been made in that context." And as a westerner Reagan had fully associated himself with the "Sagebrush Rebellion," for whom "states' rights" had no racial content, but rather meant wresting control of land from Washington. This was far from an outlandish or minority view. The same day Reagan made his "states' rights" remark in Mississippi, the National Governors Association issued what the Associated Press described as "a militant call for reduced federal involvement in state and local affairs." Arizona's liberal Democratic Governor Bruce Babbitt wrote in a New York Times op-ed article that "It is time to take hard look at 'states' rights' ? and responsibilities ? and to sort out the respective functions of the federal government and the states." I missed where Jack White added Babbitt to his roster of racists (never mind Carter's calculated appeal to "ethnic purity" in 1976).

To liberals, however, employing the phrase "states' rights" in any context is to waive the bloody shirt of racism and segregation. Little time was wasted in accusing Reagan not simply of pandering to old-fashioned segregationist sentiment in the south, but of actively sympathizing with it. Patricia Harris, Carter's secretary of Health and Human Services, told a steelworkers' union conference in early August: "I will not attempt to explain why the KKK found the Republican candidate and the Republican platform compatible with the philosophy and guiding principles of that notorious organization." (A KKK chapter in Louisiana had scored some cheap publicity by endorsing Reagan in 1980, which endorsement Reagan immediately and forcefully rejected.) But, Harris added, when Reagan speaks before black audiences many blacks "will see the specter of a white sheet behind him." Andrew Young went even further, saying that Reagan's remarks seemed "like a code word to me that it's going to be all right to kill niggers when he's President." Coretta Scott King managed to top Young: "I am scared that if Ronald Reagan gets into office, we are going to see more of the Ku Klux Klan and a resurgence of the Nazi Party." Maryland Congressman Parren Mitchell, a leader of the Congressional Black Caucus, said that " Reagan represents a distinct danger to black Americans." Reagan, it should be noted, received the endorsement of several black leaders in 1980, including the Rev. Ralph David Abernathy, Martin Luther King's successor as head of the Southern Christian Leadership Council, and the Rev. Hosea Williams, another prominent cleric from the civil rights movement.

Even the bastions of media liberalism knew that attacking Reagan as a racist was wrong. The New Republic: "President Carter has made a grave moral error in trying to portray Ronald Reagan as a racist." Carter's statements "are frightful distortions, bordering on outright lies." Washington Post reporter Richard Harwood wrote that "There is nothing in Reagan's record to support the charge that he was 'racist.'" The editorial page of the Post said that "This description [as a racist] doesn't fit Mr. Reagan."

The race-baiting attack on Reagan in 1980 backfired badly against Jimmy Carter, and contributed to Carter's defeat. As in 1980, liberals may be about to overreach on the Lott affair in much the same way, so long as Republicans will follow Reagan's example of standing on their principles.

? Steven Hayward is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, and the author of The Age of Reagan , from which this article is adapted.""

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

With negroes like you around JT, it is a pleasure to be the man. :-D

*suspect I may go to hell for this one*

• bigboi
    bigboi
    You claimed:

""IMO, its no coincidence that Ronald Reagan started his campaign for President in the same small Mississippi community where four civil rights workers were murdered.""

No where does it state what you claim. nowhere. what do you take us for?

I Only see propaganda ....

So, are we arguing semantics now?

Roybatty asked a question regarding voting patterns of Blacks. I answered it giving specific information as to why I thought most Blacks won't have anything to do with the Republican party. Say what you will but I think my point has been proven.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    With negroes like you around JT, it is a pleasure to be the man. :-D

*suspect I may go to hell for this one*

Nah, you are just (as Brother JT so eloquently put it once upon a time) calling a spade a spade.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I don't think I was 'trying to put words in your mouth'. You brought up MLK and implied that he believed 'thus and so'. I just showed you how wrong you are.

You did? Hmmm....I must have missed that discussion. If your point was to show me some articles on MLK, well, I guess you achieved that. Again, my reference to MLK or any civil rights leader who was willing to put themselves in harms way for what they believe stand in contrast to today's leaders.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I'm glad you've taken this opportunity to getyour disdain for certain black 'leaders' off your chest.

Yeah, it bothers me when people who are in a position to help don't and instead help themselves. You're in such a rush to brush me off as some ignorant white guy that you can't even understand my point. I'll try and make it again. Here in Chicago there was a recent scandal where young black men were forced to confess to murders they did not commit. There was one case in particular where a 16 year old kid signed a confesson detailing how he stabbed a woman to death and then how he later disposed of the knife. One problem, the autopsy came back after the confession and it showed that the body didn't contain one stab wound. Ooops! What an opportunity for someone of Jesse Jackson's stature to step forward and do something. But he didn't. No headlines to be made. Instead he was busy making sure his sons Budweiser contracts were going through. On the other hand, black leaders like Eugene Pincham, did stand up but without the political connections nothing became of this protest. Were is the outrage?

I know boards like these can be awfully theraputic in that way.

Sure, go ahead, place all your preconceived ideas into nice little compartments.

Now, what exactly do these people have to do with Black voting patterns?

I just find it a shame that blacks (or any group) will constantly vote for the same canidate or party because they're told to do so. Choose whichever group you want, black, union, white, etc.

They may have a large 'black' following, but they hardly represent EVERY black person.

Never said they did. My sister in law is black and I would say here political leanings are more to the right then mine.

Why do you think most Black people vote Democrat instead of Republican?
    Because during the 1950's and early 1960's when the civil rights movement was gaining steam, the democrats supported this movement while the republicans did everything to halt them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit