Blacks and Voting

by Mecurious? 92 Replies latest social current

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Okay, this is not meant to inflame or cause another race debate. But something here is amiss. Why aren't more blacks getting out and registering to vote? I just registered to vote for the first time in my life. Boy just registering made me feel good and enpowered.

None of my black friends are voting. That includes my musician buddies, my brother, my best friend who is also a millionaire, they all say that it wont make any difference. Beside the usual arguments like 'every vote counts' what else can I do to persuade them? Any ideas?

Merc''

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh the fun I could have with this one if people just weren't so damn sensitive! lol.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    None of my black friends are voting. That includes my musician buddies, my brother, my best friend who is also a millionaire,

must be a musician / millionaire 'thing".

• Valis
    Valis

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4056259

Hey check this audio link out from NPR..

Kind of funny, but a good listen anyway..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

must be a musician / millionaire 'thing".

thanks for the informative reply!

M'

Again, please no race debating. I'm simply looking for some ideas to get them to vote.

• Sassy
    Sassy

my boyfriend is black and extremely serious about politics.. you couldn't stop him from voting.. and I know the rest of his family feels the same way

• Englishman
    Englishman

Maybe they think that nothing will change for them no matter who they vote for?

Englishman.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

my boyfriend is black and extremely serious about politics.. you couldn't stop him from voting.. and I know the rest of his family feels the same way Yes I know. Im sure that I could say the same about teejay, bigboi, myself and a few others. I'm just puzzled over the one's who seem to be despondant and have given up. I've never seen people (the kind of people that I associate with anyway) act like this before thats all. I want bush out. But if we don't vote he will win. Teejay, any thoughts on this? Merc'

• teejay
    teejay

I dunno, B, but that's a damn fine question.

I've never read or heard anything that provides a clue but I have ideas. I suspect one reason blacks stay away from the polls is also tied to why they are least likely (of all ethnic groups) to own their own home -- a greater percentage of Latinos, far newer to the US in comparison to Blacks, own their own homes. Hate to say it... hate to throw this excuse out there... but part of it has to do, I believe, with slavery. And what followed, meaning Jim Crow.

Viewing the US from the squalor and hopelessness of their own lives and country, past (and not so past) generations of Italians, Germans, Chinese, even Mexicans saw the US, as Ronald Reagan described it, as a shining city on a hill. By hook or by crook they got here, with the arrivals sacrificing the first generation to help their offspring get a firm footing. Home ownership (an essential to wealth building ford future generations) and the right to have a say in their government's actions, were paramount to achieving their family's goals.

Compare that introduction to the New World to that of Blacks and Native Americans. Their respective histories relative to the European invasion, I believe, effectively destroyed an important part of who they are and saw (see) themselves as. Not for every Black or Native, of course, but for a good percentage. And the effects linger. They have been effectively disenfranchised and have come to view existence, instead of betterment, a reasonable goal.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Not for every Black or Native, of course, but for a good percentage

All good points teejay (on point as usual). Fortunately, all of my friends with the exception of one own homes.

I wonder what the rate of homeownership for blacks vs american Indians is? Imho, more and more whites are feeling the pinch as the economy slides deeper and deeper into reccession.

Merc'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit