A special message for everyone who was young in1969....

by Elsewhere 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

1969. I was 23.

This makes it more real:

Top Hits of 1969
    1Frank SinatraMy Way
    2Jane Birkin & Serge GainsbourgJe T'Aime Moi Non Plus
    3Dean MartinGentle On My Mind
    4The Rolling StonesHonky Tonk Women
    5Robin GibbSaved By The Bell
    6Karen YoungNobody's Child
    7The BeatlesGet Back
    8Donald PeersPlease Don't Go
    9Bobby GentryI'll Never Fall In Love Again
    10Tommy RoeDizzy

Englishman.

• Satanus
    Satanus

69 was my last yr of school ( didn't graduate). My presiding overseer, or whatever it was called then, booted me out. I worked at some crappy jobs, went west to vancouver. I was spiralling downhill, in the wt sense. Parties, booze, lsd, weed, even some sex. Some of it was actually fun. I got in w hippies for a bit. What kind of ruined it was that dread of the death sentence from the wt god and the thought of the demons that i must be inviting in. I ended up in jail.

Anyways, following that i went back to being a good jw, which i was for over 20 yrs after that.

S

• alamb
    alamb

Well, in 1969 I started school...doomed to cast into Satan's world at an early age. My little BROTHER, on the other hand, didn't start school until 1975 was past. They figured he would never have to go to school because Armageddon would come before he turned 6. So he was a year late clear up until graduation. Now he is 36 and waiting to find a wife in the New System/Order. It never ends.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

E-man I find this shocking!

Top Hits of 1969

What no CCR, Rollingstones, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Joe Cocker, Bob Dylan oh gawd I could go on...........what were these people who made this chart up on, drugs? LOL

I miss the 60's, fun times!

Kate (who didn't listen to Frank Sinatra until my youngest son was playing Jazz)

• Dansk
    Dansk

1969 was also my final year at school. I was fifteen years old, my involvement with JWs some 20 years away.

We could all look back and cry "wasted years" as JWs. I've done it myself, but it serves no purpose. Better to look ahead - and even better still to live in the moment that we have now. I'm a young 50-year old looking to be around for at least another 30 years. I have a Buddhist friend who's 70 but doesn't look a day over 60 and acts more my own age. Life is just beginning.......................

Ian

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I was nine years old, and I remember that. It gave me a jolt--I, too, am now older than my parents were when this prediction was made.

My main gripe was that I'd never get a driver's license. I've been driving for 29 years. Wow.

As for tunes from that long ago age, I remember the theme from "Hawaii Five-O" was extremely popular at the time, and we were allowed to listen to it because it was an instrumental, with no "bad" lyrics.

Like many folks on this board, I really feel that my parents got screwed. They believed they'd never grow old; now, they are feeling all the infirmaties of age, without even the comfort of remembering all the good things they did--they kept putting it off until the "new system." My mom really just wanted to go to Hawaii (hence, the "Hawaii Five-O" theme). She was always planning to go after Armageddon. Crap.

Jankyn

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Ian...

You got it right buddy!

-BONEZZ

• bem
    bem
    We could all look back and cry "wasted years" as JWs. I've done it myself, but it serves no purpose. Better to look ahead - and even better still to live in the moment that we have now. I'm a young 50-year old looking to be around for at least another 30 years. I have a Buddhist friend who's 70 but doesn't look a day over 60 and acts more my own age. Life is just beginning.......................

Ian

I so agree with this statement ! What an inspiration ! Great attitude too.

I was nine in '69 and the music was country for me. Charlie Pride, Lynn Anderson, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, George Jones. Johnny Cash suppose should be another thread for the music huh?

Folks were not JWs. but I remember the buzz about the end of sytem coming soon cause my best friend in school was a jw. Her mom never interfered with us but I remember all she went through. She had to leave the room during the flag pledge.... Then that was changed some time later cause it was dis-respectful... she could stay just not stand...

• Emma
    Emma

I was pioneering in 1969, attended the "Peace on Earth" international assemblies in Europe that August, and was preparing to move "where the need was greater." The experience in Europe was wonderful, I do have to say.

Emma

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    .all evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years? as a young person you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.

I recall this so well as if it was yesterday. My dad was a non believer in those days and there was an older sister, in her 50's, that would study with our family and she would say the same thing. It could have been the same article. I remember her stressing to not get a higher education because we would not graduate high school in this system. That article is now 35 years old and that sister has been dead and buried years ago. My sister, who is still a good dub, when I raise this question about all the hype, claims that she doesn't remember. It has taken me years to get the WT brain washing crap out of my head. This is one reason why I have no use for religion.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit