I'm thinking about attending a Unitarian Universalist service this Sunday

by DanTheMan 55 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Just got back.

I think one service may not be enough to make a real judgement. Especially today's service, since the pastor was out and therefore there was no sermon. Also, there was no forum. The primary focus of the service was plugging the "Covenant Groups" which I guess are small groups that meet in people's homes to discuss various things. The concept sounds interesting.

I would estimate that I'm 10-20 years younger than the median age of the people that were in attendance (I'm 33), which I don't have a problem with, I've actually always gotten along better with people that are older than me than with ppl my own age or younger.

A few gay & lesbian couples.

I do plan to attend again next week, there will be both a sermon and a forum, so I think that will give me a better feel for whether or not this is something I want to put time into. I get the feeling after today's service that my soul might be a bit dark for these folks. lol

The music? OK, at least the instrumental accompaniment was live instead of the taped cheese whiz you get at the KH. Two of the songs that were sung not by the cong but by a group of four people in front of the church were show tunes, "Getting to Know You" and "Side by Side" which I'm sorry but that seemed a little hokey.

Overall, I would have to say that I didn't find the experience very moving, but next week's service may be more representative, so I'll have more to post next Sunday.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hey, Dan :)

Two of the songs that were sung not by the cong but by a group of four people in front of the church were show tunes, "Getting to Know You" and "Side by Side" which I'm sorry but that seemed a little hokey.

Yeah, a lot of UU's have surprisingly banal conceptions of what modern music might be "appropriate" for use in church. OTOH, I once used a klezmer tune for offertory music (I've only ever preached once; our congregation used to take turns putting on the program themselves during the summer. The damn sermon took me six weeks to write). Rev. Belletini's taste in music is mostly pretty good; he once used a piece by Heitor Villa-Lobos for opening music.

I get the feeling after today's service that my soul might be a bit dark for these folks. lol

I think one reason the service may have seemed a little "lightweight" for you is that UU's are pretty well aware of how much evil and darkness exists in the world, and one of the functions of church is to provide an antidote. A lot of them have been through a lot of crap in their lives, and many of them grew up fun-damn-mentalist.

gently feral

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

All right, I went to a service at the local UU this morning, taking my willing partner Kim along too. Turns out Kim even liked it more than I did! We were very impressed with the people and with the message. After the first part, Kim said, "I haven't heard them mention god once." But then they had a section where they explained the UU faith more in-depth and one of the sections was on god and jesus. It meshes very well with both Kim and my belief structure anyway so its no stretch for us. We had a LOT of people run up and talk to us both before and after, very welcoming. All in all there was a very positive energy there and I know we'll be going back.

I've had people tell me that some real flaky types go to UU, so I kind of had some expectations, but that was not the case. They ranged from very young to very old and everything in between. They were intelligent, well educated, and well read. Not only all of those things, but very inclusive.

Sherry

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

GF:

I think one reason the service may have seemed a little "lightweight" for you is that UU's are pretty well aware of how much evil and darkness exists in the world, and one of the functions of church is to provide an antidote.

Yeah, I can understand that they would keep things pretty light and sociable considering the membership. I guess the whole somberness and seriousness that I'm used to in regards to religious services has to do with my being brought up Catholic. It feels weird to go to a church that isn't creed-bound or orthodox in any way, and to be honest it almost feels like "what's the point?"

Gretchen956:

I'm glad you and Kim had such a good experience!

Not one person introduced themselves or welcomed me today, but that doesn't bother me because I am well aware that I have a stand-offish air about me LOL.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

The funny part today came when we were signing the guest book and the lady asked us how we had heard about them. I said that I was an exJW and that I was on an online group which was talking about UU and had piqued my interest. She got these big eyes and said, "wow, from Jehovah's Witness to Unitarian Universalist, now thats a stretch." I laughed and said, yes but I'm a pagan so that might be even more of a stretch. lol

Sherry

• Black Man
    Black Man

very interesting............upping this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit