I'm thinking about attending a Unitarian Universalist service this Sunday

by DanTheMan 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

I was best man at a wedding at one of the UU churches in Dallas. Very nice people, they do Sunday school for the kiddies, and not preachy.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Terry
    Terry

My wife and I attended a Unitarian church once because we can't stand religion, religious people or they "happy talk" you get elsewhere.

My opinion of the experience? Mostly the rejected of society find their way there. Gay and Lesbian, radical-political, spacey new-agey, do-it-yourself autodidacts, etc. Really nice people and interesting.

The service? I can only give my opinion. I left that Sunday saying to myself: "This is just an excuse to pretend I am going to church without there being any real reason to be here". It was an empty experience for me. All ritual and no purpose other than going through the motions of some sort of orthodox worship service.

I'm prejudiced, of course. I just can't belly any religion anymore.

So, why go to church? Not for me!

Your mileage may vary.

I can find as much god in a bowl of good soup or my child's laughter as in a church.

Terry

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny
    It's silly, but it feels as if I have always been a Unitarian in my heart but never knew it until now. It feels like I have come home.

That's exactly how I felt. It was the first church I went to, 30 years after escaping the Borg, and I felt instantly home. I loved the ritual, which is very community centred, with people lighting candles for their hopes and griefs before the congregation. The songs can be almost as embarrassing as JW songs, but always life affirming and nobody cares if you sing or not. They are really into music and the one I went to in Denver has wonderful musicians that come and play or sing every Sunday before the service. They do loads of community stuff too. I wish there was one in my neighborhood but there are actually not any, not a single one, in all Berlin.

• mrbarthoss
    mrbarthoss

Dan, for what it's worth.......the U-squarded congregation here in Kansas City is a truly great place to go, for a lot of reasons - I found the people to be genuinely open and warm to new visitors, and there was a REAL atmosphere of theological discussion after the service with the people that "lingered", you know, not just the niceties that you get so often at suburban churches. Nice coffee in the lower level reception area, too - - - Anyway, good luck to you!!!!

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    Hell, I just need to make some friends in the real world.

Well, my first reaction to this statement is do you really want to go to a religious environment for that?Strictly speaking the real world is all around you, assuming you are not referring to the MTV show. But seriously, the name Unitarian Universalist is telling, like Terry said you can find it in things all around you, if we are talking about something that is truly a universal unity. Of course making friends is different, so my thought on this is just don't limit yourself in anyway. Go to UU if you are drawn to, but go to anything else too.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Hi Everyone,

About 8 months ago I came across information about Unitarian Universalist Church on the interenet and was intrigued. I have joined their adult religious studies discussion group. Currently they are discussiing "How To Know God" by Deepak Chopura. It is interesting. In the groups are Christians, Buddhists, Hindu's, Sectarian Humanists, Wiccan practicer, and atheists. We talk about the book for 2 hrs each Monday evening.

This is the most liberal, most inclusive bunch of people I've ever known. Yes there are Homosexual couples among those who attend, and there are celebrations of their unions if they chose. Marriages, funerals, are also given and arranged according to the the individuals believe system. Since leaving the JW's 3 years ago. This is the perfect place to heal, have friends, and come to know some wonderful caring folks. They do things for the community around them, and lots of educational programs.

I am not a member yet, but I can see myself joining them at some point and time in the future. I love all the freedom to chose what you want spiritually. What an incredible variety to explore when it comes to thinking of the creator of the universe.

Ruth

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Mostly the rejected of society find their way there

Uh, that would be me.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Actually I've attended a number of different congregations (eek! that old word) in different places and I have to say I haven't noticed that UUers are mostly the rejected of society. It's more those who choose to think for themselves, and the rejection is usually only partial, and mutual. They tend however to be quite a successful lot overall, in one way or another, with plenty of friends and community focus, and I wouldn't call them real misfits.

• 1VTHokie
    1VTHokie

I haven't noticed that UU memeber are rejected by most of society either. I see many well-adjusted, educated, intelligent people there. I see many there who are thought of as upstanding in the community and looked up to. I know of at least one politician who is a member there and highly respected in the community. As for myself, I am well liked by most people within and outside of the church.

The only way that I or many others would be thought of as an "outsider" is due to religious beliefs or lack of them. I'm an agnostic, and this is the Bible Belt. I don't even think that would be a real problem though because I don't discuss religioun with my assiciates or friends outside the church. It's just not a big deal.

Rita

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"Mostly the rejected of society find their way there. Gay and Lesbian, radical-political, spacey new-agey, do-it-yourself autodidacts, etc. Really nice people and interesting."

About half the congregation I attend are university professors,scientists, speech pathologists, local politicians and the like.Some happen to be gay, lesbian, bisexual,on the New Age path, Pagan,eco-conscious folks
    e, passionately political (refreshing after my college government class to see anyone who even cares about what's happening in the political arena, lol).So what.

They may be rejected by the most conservative factions in society who see anyone who is striving to bring about changes that don't match their particular paradigm as a threat, but they are definitely not rejected by society as a whole. The church I attend is very active in various interfaith programs in the community, as well as social and political causes.The cool thing is that the so-called "rejected" of society are also treated as valuable members of the congregation, not people to be scapegoated.The church only benefits from having their gifts to help breathe life into the church community. Also, their respect and care for children just blows me away.

If you go to a UU service expecting someone to lead you to THE TRUTH, as in one absolute set of beliefs that you can bet your eternal life on, you may be dissapointed. The emphasis is more on finding what works for you, learning about what works for others, and sharing a common bond of being seekers, and challenging each other with respectful debate and discussion.

I enjoy my solitary sojourns into experiencing life and spirituality, but I also like to converse with folks who are like-minded, who are interested in spiritual things, the arts, science, family,and all of the other things that makes life meaningful for me.I also enjoy the ritual of service, the singing (real LIVE MUSIC whooohooo!), and the readings. I am learning so much, just listening to the experiences of others who share things that they have learned along with their own particular beliefs!It's kind of like this message board, only in real life, lol.I like everyone here a lot, and I've learned a lot, but I don't think the internet can ever be a substitution for human companionship and a real community to belong to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit