I'm thinking about attending a Unitarian Universalist service this Sunday

by DanTheMan 55 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I wish there was an Existentialist club I could go to, where we would read and discuss Camus, Sartre, Kierkegaard, Becker, Dostoyevsky, and others, and share our mutual despair over the seeming meaningless and horror of life. LOL

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

All right, I've been lurking on this thread since the beginning and I have to say you all have perked my curiosity to the point that I just may have to attend an upcoming service and check it out. I too will post my experience.

Sherry

• bisous
    bisous

OMG Sherry, I was just getting ready to post the same thing! I mean really, a church with an atheist for a pastor is right up my alley!!!!

Better yet, Dan if you are in the vicinity let's start our own church salon and bring back the posh cultured we're soon to die anyway religion club. Let's hold it weekly....say Friday nights from 11p.m. to ? and serve cocktails and play jazz. On alternating weeks we can offer narcotic exotic smokes and have open mike. Ahhhhhhh, heaven heavenly.

Well seriously, I am going to see if one of those Universal places is nearby. I'll check it out too and we can all compare notes. Cool Heart

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

The UU church here has lots of different programs of interest. There is a book group, a writing group, a women's studies group, an ecology group, and astronomy group, and those are only the ones I can think of at the moment. If you wanted to start an Existentialist club, a UU congregation would be a good place to announce it, lol.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Ooh I am very interested now. I mean...I am already a minister for the Universal Life church....haha why not?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Wow, Bisous! I like your version even better! Can we intersperse that jazz with some down and dirty blues??

oh yea

Sherry

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

DanTheMan,

I wish there was an Existentialist club I could go to, where we would read and discuss Camus, Sartre, Kierkegaard, Becker, Dostoyevsky, and others, and share our mutual despair over the seeming meaningless and horror of life. LOL

You could probably start one at the local UU church. Kick it off by leading an Adult Sunday School session. Of course, you'd have to bring it up with the church's Religious Education commitee first. But I'm sure they'd go for it. I'm serious. It sounds like a good project. GentlyFeral

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

GF, I imagine that some of the congregation will have at least have heard of those guys, which is cool for me, I take a perverse pleasure in despair I guess - LOL.

Bisous & Gretchen, we'll definitely compare notes if you all decide to go.

This is the most response I've gotten to a thread since my "I want to ask her out" thread last Spring. Woohoo! Thanks for all of your comments.

• bisous
    bisous

hey all, I looked for a UU church in Portland and by golly bygum, there is one....here is its stated charter:

We are a democratically governed body of people. Ministers, the Board of Trustees, staff and congregants all work cooperatively to carry out the church's mission. The church is also a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, which is guided by a set of principles, which state that "we covenant to affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person
    • Justice, equality and compassion in human relations
    • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
    • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
    • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
    • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
    • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."

The heart of our mission is to promote love, reason and freedom in religion, to foster lifelong spiritual growth and to act for social justice. We encourage seekers of all faiths, nationalities, races, genders, ages, abilities and sexual orientations to visit our congregation. We hope that you will find the spiritual home that you are seeking. Please browse the following pages to find out more about our church, its beliefs and its mission.

I've heard worse! I'm gonna check it out......more to come (the place may spontaneously combust when this rabid unbelieving heathen enters....so no promises!)

She Devil

• bisous
    bisous

double post...haven't done that in a while, must be all that evil bubbling forth ... bwahahahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit