I'm thinking about attending a Unitarian Universalist service this Sunday

by DanTheMan 55 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

sunshine, yes, then name does seem to have a "Heaven's Gate" ring to it eh? LOL. UU's have been around a long time though, and don't have a reputation for cultishness of any sort, so I'm not worried.

Special K, community and association are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm tired of being an ex-jw hermit.

blondie, yeah that's the website of the church I was thinking of going to. There's one that's closer to me but it has 25 members, not enough imo.

Cicatrix, thanks! I think that one of the attractions for me is that UU churches would seem to attract introspective, searching people, and I'm introspective and searching to where it's downright neurotic. LOL

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Then you would probably fit in pretty well there. There's a well known UU joke that goes something along the line of "There are two signs at the fork in the road. One says "Take this path to heaven" and the other says "take this path to the debate about heaven." Guess which one the UUs take? Heh.

It gets pretty spirited at forums sometimes, but what amazes me is that it can be spirited debate, but still respectful. And some of the topics are very very challenging at my church (lots of uni profs from the science department and philosphy department, lol). I love the forum-have yet not to come away with something profound to think about.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hey, go for it! What's the worst that can happen, Jehovah strike you down with a bolt of lightening? I don't think so. I think the worst is getting up on Sunday morning and having to get "presentable". Hey, you just might enjoy it!

Hugs

Brenda

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    cowboy, there's a pretty large congregation up here in Columbus

If Columbus is convenient for you, go to the First Unitarian Church of Columbus and try to get to a service when Mark Belletini is preaching. A poet and a scholar with a voice like a handshake. He was pastor of the UU church I stumbled into eight years ago.

GentlyFeral

• Satanus
    Satanus

UU's, as a religious group has the most educated people, except for maybe judaism. Wanna learn, hang w the smart people. They may not know as much as they think that they do, but they know more than most people. Dubs don't even make a showing against them. I went to a christmas live musical event a few yrs ago. It was a quality orchestra, w a coffee thing afterwards, where i talked to a few from the orchestra. I was impressed.

S

Ps, the 'pastor' seemed to be a lesbian, for whatever that means

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Cicatrix, the forum thing sounds interesting. Just promise me that there's no questions at the bottom of the page!

Brenda, I don't expect to be on the receiving end of any wrath from Jerhover of Armies, but I'm taking every precaution to avoid lightning strikes.

GentlyFeral, the gentleman you speak of is the pastor of the cong I am checking out. I look forward to seeing him speak.

Satanus, I figure I could learn a lot from hanging with these folks, part of the attraction.

• patio34
    patio34

Some of my workmates go to the local UU church. These are also politically activists on the left side mostly. I went about 5-6 times last summer. Here's what it was like at the local one.

Out of the four-five Sunday mornings that I went, only one person who was the speaker mentioned "God" and she apologized to the atheists (most of the audience).

The tenets of the local group seem to be

1. Belief in god is optional
    2. There are no doctrines
    3. It's an educational, philosophical group with a lot of activities and very friendly
    4. It's concerned with activism and I heard a speaker from an African country talking about the political conditions there
    5. I heard a speaker one evening from the ACLU and the head local librarian talk against the Patriot Act
    6. They helped their local members much more than the JWs EVER did
    7. They welcomed gay couples and celebrated anniversaries, etc. with them
    8. They had a local Buddhist meditation group that met during the week, lol
    9. On Friday nights last summer they had "movie" night with thoughtful popular normal movies (some rated "R") and then a discussion afterwards. They had lots of popcorn, & snacks. It was really fun. An older couple said one evening "I just can't get over them saying f**k in the movies nowadays!" I replied that I couldn't believe I was hearing the word f**k in a church, lol!

All in all it was a pretty lively group. It's just that Sunday morning isn't a time I'm looking to fill with activity, lol. Besides, I didn't like running into my boss all the time!! But all in all, it was a very enjoyable group with a lot of social and educational opportunities. More like a philosphy society than a religion though!

Pat

P. S. I think I've talked myself into going back!

• onacruse
    onacruse

If, for some reason, I decided that I needed to involve myself with a religious group, then methinks that the Unitarians would be the place I'd start.

Dan, if I may ask a question: Why are you contemplating such a move? Is it perhaps just an exploratory excursion, or maybe you feel an unfulfilled dimension in your spiritual life? You say it's just to 'make friends in the real world,' but I wonder if there is a deeper psychological issue at play.

Just a question, from one exJW to another.

Craig

• Glenmore
    Glenmore

I took one of those Internet tests, on which religion would suit you and UU came up the solid winner. Never been tho. There's one in Gresham that has an interesting website, Craig. They seem to allow everything good, no matter the source. I'm thinking of going to a Bible Students convention (just a half-day) in Eagle Creek. I want to find out what legacy they have without Rutherford. I got this novel going you see.

Glen

PS At the Portland Meetup next weekend? Would someone show me how to format properly? See you then!

• Carmel
    Carmel

I've been invited to speak and have done so in two UU churches in Oregon since moving here. They are indeed accepting of just about any beleif as long as it is not destructive to others. Still centrally focused on Christocentric ideas but still open to other "philosopies". I was made to be very comfortable, well as comfy as one could be in a church,,,,still hold over from dubby days...

I'd like to hear your response as both the services I attended had a similar format..

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit