I'm thinking about attending a Unitarian Universalist service this Sunday

by DanTheMan 55 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? Criticisms?

Hell, I just need to make some friends in the real world.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Funny you mention it, I was just checking last week to see where the nearest one in Dayton is, and thought it would be interesting to check it out. From what I have read, it is one of the most liberal, open-minded religions one can find where one does not have to worry about not being accepted for who you are. I think it would be a good idea to check it out.

• jaredg
    jaredg

my girlfriend's mom goes to the local unitarian church and she's been asking me to go with her for while now. a former JW also goes to this same church. i soke with her and she really helped me get through some of the harder parts of leaving the JW organization. i think i might check it out one day...but for now i'm just sick and tired of any sort of organized religion.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I've been a few times and I really like it. I don't go regularly because I reallly don't like getting up Sunday morning. But it's not preachy at all and very open and liberal. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. Also very friendly and community oriented. All the times I've been I don't think I ever heard a scriptural reference. So for me, that was a plus.

If you don't like it you can always not go back.

• blondie
    blondie

There are three UU groups in this area, 1 large, 2 smaller. I checked out their websites. Quite a different focus in each one.

Why not go and report back?

Blondie

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

cowboy, there's a pretty large congregation up here in Columbus. Yes, from what I can gather they are as liberal as can be, I imagine that being a member of a UU cong is nothing at all like being in a JW cong. Although I lean liberal, I'm not totally left, which it seems to me like most UU's are, I guess I'll have to see for myself.whether or not I would fit in.

jared, I can understand being sick of organized religion. I'm not a guy who is real skilled at developing friendships, and I'm thinking that a community such as the UU's would offer opportunities to maybe hone those skills a bit among people who I imagine are like me in a lot of ways.

Bubba, yeah I guess I've got nothing to lose by attending one time.

Blondie, will do.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

The name sounds suspicious.

• Special K
    Special K

I agree with blondie..

Why not go and report back? (echo)

If they are as opened minded about peoples beliefs as ohiocowboy says..it sounds good.

Religion can be a good source for a sense of community and association.

Investigate and you might find one that fits the bill for ....YOU.

Special K

• blondie
    blondie

http://firstuucolumbus.org/

Unitarian Universalist in Columbus, Ohio.

Who we are:

http://firstuucolumbus.org/#uu

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi Dan,
    I've been attending UU services since April. It seems to be a pretty good fit for me right now. There is no emphasis on doctrine (although there are seven principles of faith that are stressed), and a great mix of folks with varying beliefs in the church I attend. So far, I have met and talked to Christians, Atheists, Taoists, Buddists, and Humanists at my church. The reverend is actually an Atheist Humanist, but is very mindful of those who are not (and she's a woman to boot-talk about a major paradigm shift for me, lol).

Usually, on Sunday mornings there is what is known as "forum," where someone talks about an issue for about half an hour, then there is a discussion period with the audience afterwards. The topics vary from spiritual to political to community concerns.

A church service follows, and the sermons also vary in theme. At the church I attend, they usually revolve around spritual issues or community issues. The reverend tends to keep the political discussions out of the pulpit for the most part.There are often various "rites of passage" celebrated during the service. There is lots of live, beautiful music at the church I attend, and sometimes little skits performed.

UUs do tend to be a liberal group, in politics as well as spirituality. I've heard (but never seen myself)that some conservative people don't feel comfortable attending certain UU churches, but I don't believe this is the case with all of them. The rev explained that individual UU churches take on the personality of their members, so that some are more liberal, some are more conservative, etc. The town the church I attend is (in comparison to the surrounding towns) more liberally minded, and has a more liberal focus, but I have noticed that the reverend has been careful not to preach a certain "brand " of politics from the pulpit.

Many folks started attending the church right around the same time as I, and we all stated that we were searching for some sort of community. The reverend and the various members of the church comittees seem to work hard to organise events that help nurture a community spirit in the church.

So, if you are looking for a place to find community and to explore various spirtual paths and maybe figure out what yours is, I highly recommend trying the UU church.Heck, just go and try a few services and see if you like them. No one is going to twist your arm, or call you if you don't show up the next Sunday;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit