We finally saw Fahrenheit 9/11

by Mulan 83 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla
    VOLUNTEERED to protect and serve their country, not to be lied to and sent in to combat and killed and wounded for something that was not an immediate threat. I think I'd be pretty pissed too if I found out my president risked my life and allowed teh lives of my friends to be taken over faulty information.

lets see what the military vote turns out to be this year....if the majority of the military vote goes to kerry, then we will know the above may be a valid generalization of the feelings of the enlisted. personally, i have a close friend and a family member that served in iraq (one came back late last year, the other early this year), and they are both very supportive of bush and the war. i wonder why that is, if they now know that he "lied" to them.?. or maybe they dont feel that everyone who characterized saddam as a threat that needed to be dealt with (i.e., bush, kerry, edwards, etc.) was actually "lying".?.

aa

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Yes, but there is some truth in there. It isn't all lies.

Of course not. It wouldn't be nearly as dangerous or convincing if it was all lies. (The same, of course, is true of the WT.)

We aren't stupid, and don't believe everything we see, especially Dave,

I don't think anybody's suggesting you are. Michael Moore is very devious and his clever editing is designed to fool people. Lots of intelligent people have been taken in by his lies.

but much of it is true, and you know it is when you see it.

Sometimes you do; sometimes you think you do. Sometimes you simply take what he says at face value. Why do so few members of Congress have children in the military? Moore cleverly makes it seems like there's something nefarious going on here, and your sense of outrage does the rest.

I haven't seen this film but I have seen Bowling for Columbine and when I saw that, I "knew" that Charlton Heston had made an inflammatory pro-gun speech just days after the Columbine massacre only a few miles away from where it happened. I knew because I saw it on screen. But he didn't. It was another example of Michael Moore's despicable lies.

You can't seriously believe that all of it is lies???

Again, of course not all of it is. But enough of what Moore produces is made up, distorted or misleading that it's necessary to check every claim he makes. If he has a case, he shouldn't need to lie at all.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Not to worry Elsewhere, she went to the matinee...cheap seats he didn't make much off them. That's usually the way we go too these days. It adds up when you have to buy four tickets along with the goodies.

Yup, I do the same thing... tomorrow morning I'm going to go watch I-Robot.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Yeru,

So your source came up with one Republican and one Democrate who's son is involved in the war. This alone does not make a case that Moore lied. Nor is it impressive.

What evidence must be presented is how many in the House and Senate have children of service age and compare that with the two or three who have sons or daughters the active services.

As to lying, you would have to present evidence that Moore knew his info was in error and presented it anyway. Yet I agree Moore probably deserves your charge as I suspect he has called Bush a liar in at least one case where he could not prove George was deliberately misleading us.

Jst2laws

• freedom96
    freedom96

What we need to remember is that you can take any poll, any opinion, and slant it towards what you want to believe. Moore has the right to make the movie, and put out his opinion. He has already been slammed by some inconsistancies.

Someone could make a movie about democrats that would look really bad too. It is politics, and it will never change.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

I saw it, and none of it was news to me. I think he actually belabored some points that were moot, and neglected some points that were pertinent...all in all, good entertainment, but it wasn't shocking, eye opening, or anything else for me. The man is a satirist, and I think he's funny.

• Richie
    Richie

To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery. A film that bases itself on a big lie and a big misrepresentation can only sustain itself by a dizzying succession of smaller falsehoods, beefed up by wilder and (if possible) yet more-contradictory claims. I think we can agree that the film is so flat-out phony that "fact-checking" is beside the point. There is nothing truthful about the movie, nothing....perhaps the only true thing about this movie is that Michael Moore is a big fat liar....

Just read this excerpt from Christopher Hitchens (who is NOT a republican, but a leftist liberal commentator) and it will take apart each segment of the entire movie bit by bit for you to see that everything is concocted:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/73715/1186192/post.ashx#1186192 (happy reading!)

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

CHEV babe,

Soldiers are Soldiers are Soldiers are Soldiers. We do not make the decisions. We follow the orders. Its been that way for thousands of years. Occasionally we get pissed off, revolt, and take over. The fact stands that members of the Military will Vote for Bush.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery. A film that bases itself on a big lie and a big misrepresentation can only sustain itself by a dizzying succession of smaller falsehoods, beefed up by wilder and (if possible) yet more-contradictory claims. I think we can agree that the film is so flat-out phony that "fact-checking" is beside the point. There is nothing truthful about the movie, nothing....perhaps the only true thing about this movie is that Michael Moore is a big fat liar....

Now tell us how you really feel. Hahahha. Good writing by the way.

• Simon
    Simon

Well, I just got back from seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 and it was very moving and thought provoking.

The mentality of those who defend Bush is, to me, mind bogling and astounding. We see them on here all the time, the name callers, the mud slingers, the pseudo-experts always ready to copy and paste articles from equally narrow-minded non-thinking zealots as themselves. I wonder at their humanity and lack of feeling and empathy for the inhuman suffering that they so gleefully cheer on.

Bush is an evil, disgusting, inhuman fool who surrounds himself with villains, crooks and murderers. What a crowd they make. All in it for MONEY.

He is everything that is bad about America and it is to America's shame that he represents you. At least he wasn't elected though and we do not judge you from what he does.

I am sickened, disgusted and angry at why my country and our leaders have done, in our name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit