Speaking in Tongues

by Pinned Blouse 78 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

I go to an interdenominational charasmatic, proudly pentecostal church. I haven't yet spoken in tongues or been slain in the spirit. I think it's because I'm still a little warry of it, I haven't allowed the Spirit to flow through me in that way. But I love my church. I remember reading about the Israelites taking their instruments, dancing, singing and praising God. But in the KH, we stood there like logs, were quiet, and silent during prayer. I'm glad that when I can feel the Spirit moving in a church, and when I can see the annointing on my Pastor I can audibly agree with him "Amen", so be it. As a matter of fact, he'll keep on preaching till 1 or 2 in the afternoon if we're not lively enough LOL. But I love it. I love that I can now raise my arms to God and really get involved in it. That feeling you felt is the Spirit. If you've never been able to experience the annointing like that, then man.....you are missing something great. To actually feel the prescence of God in the chair with you, in the isles and in the room. To hear His voice echoing through the sanctuary. It's an experience like no other. I could never go back to the quiet sad ways of the JWs. I would really miss feeling God's prescence in my life, in my church. When I first came here I would cry during service, every time. Just being able to be so open to everyone and to God was amazing to me. The entire, just the whole of it all was overwhelming for me. I could feel God touching my heart, whispering in my ear "I am here, fear no longer, I have never left your side" It's just amazing.

I have NEVER heard it confirmed that a wacko tongue speaker ever said ANYTHING in another language that was understandable by someone of that particular dialect.......EVER!

Besides....even if they DID say anything that meant something........the apostle Paul said if nobody was there to translate it so that OTHERS may benifit......it was just a bunch of hooey(crashing cymbols) that meant nothing

These are gifts of the Spirit, gifts given to people by God for ministry usage. Once a gift has been given, it doesn't get taken away (which is why you have so many preachers who are given a gift and they can still do it even after they've become corrupt). Gumby, you seem to still be trapped in the JW mindset on the subject. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I've found that most people who do in fact, speak in tongues, do speak languages. But they are more ancient languages. I've heard something similar to Arabic mostly. These people who have been given this gift can use it at any time. It's not like some crazy feeling comes over them and suddenly they blab uncontrolably. A lot of people prefer to pray in the tongues, unless they are praying for/with someone else. At one timie, DH was given (by the Spirit) the translation for a paticular subject that one lady in our church kept saying over and over again one week. Most times, it will be taken to the Pastor. It will be prayed over and prayed about. And once God sends confirmation, the rest of the church will be told what the translation was. We always wait for confirmation becuase the enemy is like a wolf in sheep's clothing. We do not want to allow ourselves to be deceived.
  • sweetone2377
    sweetone2377
    not wanting to dissappoint these 2 hopping around me and stuff.....I FAKED IT....

Oh my goodness Sweetp....this reminds me of my Pastor when he talks about c.d.'s.......courtesy drops! LOL When you end up with a crowd around you everyone praying, then you look around and you're the only one still standing so you wonder if you should toss around a cd, a courtesy drop, so as not to disappoint the person praying over you. LOL This happens overseas alot, where entire churches just drop like flies in the prescence of God.

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Sweetone,

I love that I can now raise my arms to God and really get involved in it. That feeling you felt is the Spirit. If you've never been able to experience the annointing like that, then man.....you are missing something great. To actually feel the prescence of God in the chair with you, in the isles and in the room. To hear His voice echoing through the sanctuary. It's an experience like no other.

That brought tears to my eyes

PB

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Just as long as you understand, even in those emotional moments, that, you aren't a "wretch", never where a wretch, and it was always wrong for parents and clergymen to give you the idea that you are a wretch.

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Sunspot,

I know---any time natural, human feelings were shown---it was frowned on. I think we ALL enjoy hearing (or singing in) a good choir or chorus! It makes ya FEEL good! As for the "melodies".....they were a piece of work, huh? There were a few I liked, the rest ranged betweeen so-so to hideous! Remember that horrible slow one that sounded like it was from an ancient funeral procession? UGH!

That is hilarious and so true!

. One song called "Testify"

Who is the artist?

When I was a kid, I heard a song on TV by Mahalia Jackson that I loved.

She is awesome, and she can't make you feel it, then you have no feelings at all! :-)

PB

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Who is the artist?

Pinned,

It was a group from her church in MA that cut a demo tape. I thought that the songs were written by them, but since then I've heard THAT song on TV two or three times, so I guess not :-)

But it's SO catchy and I find myself humming it for hours after I've shut the tape off!

• ChristianIssues
    ChristianIssues

The following video is helpful in understanding the gifts of tongues, prophecy and knowledge.

Speaking In Tongues Part A

God bless,

Mick

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome ChristianIssues!

Can't say I agree with the video but then it holds the same view of the spiritual gifts as the WT.

So what's your history? Have you been through the JW mill or else another cessationist stream?

Blessings,

Stephen

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

this kid still has the gift of prophecy

Video

Actually I'd take his word over any religious person that claimed ability to speak in tongues.

here's the link

• Chalam
    Chalam

Like the way he is prophesying doom and then adds "have a nice day" at the end!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit