Speaking in Tongues

by Pinned Blouse 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**scuse me? Dont mention autism or aspergers in the same sentence as idiot savants, its a gross misrepresentation of Autism and AS. Autism and AS is a way of life that depends on high intellectual standards to make sense of the world in which they live and to stucture life without the normal flow of the brain proccesing function, the word idiot demonstrates the ignorance of people.

Yeah, Brummie---I bristled when I just saw that too. Firts of all--it's isn't PC to label these people as "idiot" anything. The acceptable term is "savants". It gets the idea across. We have a 15 year-old Asperger's Syndrome boy, and your (Brummie's) defintion is right on target. My grandson kows all the Nascar drivers, their stats, and all their personal info. He has been wrapped up in that and weather stats since he could talk. AS kids have a phenomenal memory---in something they are intersted in. Otherwise--they can't follow directions on opening a box of cereal! It's very selective!

Proplog,

They are NOT idiots in any sense of the word, and the term is offensive and hurtful. I'm sure you didn't mean any harm when you said it (others have used this term for years so it's understandable)---but it might be something to mentally tuck away and remember not to say again.

Annie

• proplog2
    proplog2

1 : a person affected with a mental disability (as autism or mental retardation) who exhibits exceptional skill or brilliance in some limited field (as mathematics or music) -- called also savant
    Mirriam Websters Dictionary

I have a son who is "slightly" asbergers. He doesn't like the word "asberbergers" because it sounds like something he really wouldn't want to eat between two buns.

I suppose Idiot Savant is as offensive as the word "cult" when it is used to refer to a religion that's been around for over 100 years and has over 6,000,000 adherents.

• RR
    RR

Pro ... I don't know ... he's not an idiot. He wasn't born a savant. He's just a regular guy. Married with kids. As this "gift" gone away? Not acording to my in law. What does he do with it? I have no idea. The French congregation out here is a different world from the English. These people cold care less what he does with it. Remember, we're talking about a french congregation which is made up of 99% hatians, and what are hatians known for ... voodoo. Seeing someone speak a foreign language is like a card trick, compared to what their use to seeing.

You want to interview this guy? PM me and I'll send you his name and number. But leave me out of it!

RR

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Hi RR

I am not doubting your account - and I could not attempt an explanation, but I think the answer probably has a physiological base rather than any spiritual one.

FF

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**I have a son who is "slightly" asbergers. He doesn't like the word "asberbergers" because it sounds like something he really wouldn't want to eat between two buns.

Proplog,

I am even MORE atonished to see THAT!!!!

Do you refer to your SON as an Idiot Savant??? I don't give a rip WHAT Merriam's Webster's Dictionary says on this terminology.

**I suppose Idiot Savant is as offensive as the word "cult" when it is used to refer to a religion that's been around for over 100 years and has over 6,000,000 adherents.

Ohhh booooy! HERE we go--again--I'm surprised with your penchant to be obnoxious that you didn't put the "N" word there instead of "cult".

You certainly not only deflect from the subject---but you feel that you HAVE to bring up calling the WTS a cult, would in any way compare to calling a learning disabled individual, an idiot.

As far as I'm concerned, about the word "cult"---if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it IS a duck. This applies to the WTS=CULT.

You seem to enjoy pushing people's buttons, don't you?

Sheesh!

• Brummie
    Brummie

Well said sunspot.

He just digs a bigger hole! He hasnt even taken time out to see what it is his son slightly suffers from, he thinks its asberger or asberbergers, anyone who has given time to study it will know how its pronounced. These false prophets are so insensitve huh.

Brummie

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I mainly attend Free-will baptist churches when I go home to visit in Ky, and although they dont speak in tongues, they are very emotional, even grown men crying, sometimes they cry enough tears to mop the floor, but you know I think this is good, because if JW's truly believed what they are taught and what they believe is supposed to happen then you would think they would be on their knees praying for there loved ones and crying tears for the ones who have fallen away. I dont think i have ever seen more than a handful of jw's cry in my life and that includes funerals. well i gotta go now computer rooms closing

Dave

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Well said sunspot.

Thanks, Brummie.

**He just digs a bigger hole! He hasnt even taken time out to see what it is his son slightly suffers from, he thinks its asberger or asberbergers, anyone who has given time to study it will know how its pronounced. These false prophets are so insensitve huh.

Gotcha! When I said I was astonished---I meant it. Maybe having dealt with insensitive fools on the Board of Education (who are NOT trained in dealing with Asperger's kids OR variances of learning disabled ones a lot of the time)---I just get SO annoyed with statements like that!

**if JW's truly believed what they are taught and what they believe is supposed to happen then you would think they would be on their knees praying for there loved ones and crying tears for the ones who have fallen away.

Junction Guy,

The WTS has always prided itself on being "non-emotional" during worship. The same with funerals---stiff upper lip and all that. When my very best friend died in '91---I sobbed through the entire talk and for three solid days later. Even her sister who lives next door, was not showing emotion. It was (and IS) eerie to be ABLE to stifle emotions like that.

I also agrree with you about exerting more energy in deeply praying for ones they feel have "left Jehovah" rather than treating them as dead. It sure is strange. Everything the WTS does seems to be the opposite of what everyone else does---and they take pride in that.

The WTS influence and mindset is an odd thing to figure out.

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Junction,

I mainly attend Free-will baptist churches when I go home to visit in Ky, and although they dont speak in tongues, they are very emotional, even grown men crying, sometimes they cry enough tears to mop the floor, but you know I think this is good, because if JW's truly believed what they are taught and what they believe is supposed to happen then you would think they would be on their knees praying for there loved ones and crying tears for the ones who have fallen away. I dont think i have ever seen more than a handful of jw's cry in my life and that includes funerals. well i gotta go now computer rooms closing

I agree, as JW's why could we no have a "showy display of emotions"? Even with singing churches has feelings when they sing. I love that!

The Kingdom Melodies was so dry!

PB

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**as JW's why could we no have a "showy display of emotions"? Even with singing churches has feelings when they sing. I love that!

The Kingdom Melodies was so dry!

I know---any time natural, human feelings were shown---it was frowned on. I think we ALL enjoy hearing (or singing in) a good choir or chorus! It makes ya FEEL good! As for the "melodies".....they were a piece of work, huh? There were a few I liked, the rest ranged betweeen so-so to hideous! Remember that horrible slow one that sounded like it was from an ancient funeral procession? UGH!

Right after I left the WTS, my S-I-L gave me a tape of gospel music and I love it!!! I'd never heard it before, as an adult and a 30 year JW, except when flipping through the stations on the radio! As a good JW I never stopped to listen to it, but this tape is good. One song called "Testify" is upbeat and I sing along with it at the top of my lungs, LOL! Like I said--it MAKES ya feel GOOD! What can be wrong with that?

When I was a kid, I heard a song on TV by Mahalia Jackson that I loved. My Father bought me the album and I all but wore it out. Nobody probably recognizes her name, but she was a fabulous gospel singer back in the '50s. Real foot-stompin stuff!

JWs don't know HOW to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord"!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit