Speaking in Tongues

by Pinned Blouse 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

I have visited several churches with family and friends and this is something that I cannot get used to. I do not know if this is basically done in black churches or not ( I am AA) but it makes me a little uncomfortable.

I will say that I have had feelings in these churches that I have never felt in the KH. They really get caught in the spirit and I want to cry when I hear certain sermons.

Have you noticed that when "the world" say a prayer, those in agreement audible agree during the prayers? JW's are silent throughout. I kinda like the audible agreements in prayers.

Anyone had a similiar experience? What do you think about "speaking in tongues?"

PB

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Hi Pinned.

I've attended quite a few charasmatic churches after I got out of the JW's. There are many churches that embrace the gifts of the spirits. Baptists, Penticostal, heck, there's even Charasmatic Catholics.

I also have found that hearing someone speak in tounges makes me uncomfortable too. I just never got it. And, it seems that certain chuches place those who speak in tounges in a higer regard than the regular rank and file members.

I always thought that the gift of tounges was the ability speak in other languages in order to preach the good news to other lands. Penticost......33CE......(oh God...I got to stop now....slipping into JW speak........Must......get.....it.....out...of... my....head)

• FMZ
    FMZ
    I always thought that the gift of tounges was the ability speak in other languages in order to preach the good news to other lands. Penticost......33CE......(oh God...I got to stop now....slipping into JW speak........Must......get.....it.....out...of... my....head)

Kabong, you are quite right... The "Holy Spirit" was bestowed upon these individuals so that they could go and preach to those of differing languages. The speaking in tongues at churches these days seems way too showy, just to impress, and Jesus never did anything just to impress crowds.

I would be quite wary of any church that encourages this...

FMZ

• gumby
    gumby

I have NEVER heard it confirmed that a wacko tongue speaker ever said ANYTHING in another language that was understandable by someone of that particular dialect.......EVER!

Besides....even if they DID say anything that meant something........the apostle Paul said if nobody was there to translate it so that OTHERS may benifit......it was just a bunch of hooey(crashing cymbols) that meant nothing.

Gumby

• heathen
    heathen

I thought the JW believed in the speaking in toungues . I know I've heard stuff like that that from dubs but you are right the whole purpose was to further the preaching and was considered a sign for unbelievers and not believers . I think some of the churches teach that it is untranslatable because people are speaking in the language of angels . sounds too fishy too me , kinda like these televangelists who think they are healing people over the TV set . I'd like to know just how people can fall this kinda crap .

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

Shaablahvuadahyerrkcrghdahwillywaawaashuboobylooloogittykitheblfloopydahdahtrullyhisatanbabyimabloodynutter

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    I always thought that the gift of tounges was the ability speak in other languages in order to preach the good news to other lands.

Actually, my reading of scripture shows tongues in two forms...Pentecost, in which the natives heard the apostles in their own tongue...and here's how I read this...if they were from Egypt they heard ALL the apostles in Egyptian...if from Rome, they heard ALL the apostles in Latin, etc, not just one apostle per language, but all of them.

The other type is private prayer, the language of the angels that Paul spoke of.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    I have visited several churches with family and friends and this is something that I cannot get used to. I do not know if this is basically done in black churches or not ( I am AA) but it makes me a little uncomfortable. I will say that I have had feelings in these churches that I have never felt in the KH. They really get caught in the spirit and I want to cry when I hear certain sermons. Have you noticed that when "the world" say a prayer, those in agreement audible agree during the prayers? JW's are silent throughout. I kinda like the audible agreements in prayers. Anyone had a similiar experience? What do you think about "speaking in tongues?"

I am a spirit filled believer. I was baptised by the Holy Spirit in 1988 at my church. The scripture in regards to the baptism of the HS is sound and I've seen many become baptised by the HS just as I have. When I was a newbie there (so to speak), I felt weird about the atmostphere of the church, it will feel uncomfortable for a while, but after I did a through research in scripture regarding to this topic, I realized everything that happened in that church is scriptural and I had to be absolutely sure of it. Many churches rejects the gifts of the HS for various reasons.....

Some don't like it as they don't feel comfortable with it, inregardless of it being scriptural. Others just don't believe in it, even when the bible supports it. Some believe the gifts of the Spirit died with the last of the Apostles. My question to that is why only for the first century church and none for the others after that, second question was that there's nothing in scripture that states it's only a temporary thing.

My being baptised in the Spirit drew me closer to God in ways I could have ever imagined in my life. The HS has helped me in ways I could have not done alone. My relationship with God is stronger than ever before. There's many numerous reasons I could explain, but it would be a very very long post, so I'm making this short. LOL

My suggestion to you is to consult the bible and do a research on the topic on the HS and study it throughly. Ask the Pastor there about it too. Also, pick up books on this subject as well.

One doctrine that I know of that is spreading around (like the Prespretarian(s?) church teaches) is that if you aren't baptised by the HS, you are not saved. That is unscriptural and nothing in the bible supports that doctrine. Same reason for water baptism. If both was true, then it has replaced the blood that was shed on the cross as a means of salvation.

Yiz

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Actually, my reading of scripture shows tongues in two forms...Pentecost, in which the natives heard the apostles in their own tongue...and here's how I read this...if they were from Egypt they heard ALL the apostles in Egyptian...if from Rome, they heard ALL the apostles in Latin, etc, not just one apostle per language, but all of them.
    The other type is private prayer, the language of the angels that Paul spoke of.

Extactly as I have researched Yeru, good job man. I have met many Charismatic Catholics in my time and they were a JOY to be around. I had a fun time being around them. So cool to see them joyful and full of life rather than the strict Catholic types that I felt like were, well, excuse my language, stuffed shirts (ducks from Yeru)

Yiz

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Btw, I do think I still have a magazine article covering the topic and it explains in great detail what the HS can do for us and how it works. If I find it, I'll PM you to see if you want it and I'll mail it to you.

Yiz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit