Speaking in Tongues

by Pinned Blouse 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**The infant situation is to show that humans are "speaker of words" so there must be some structure that can be tapped to produce something that sounds like language.

I still think it's quite a big stretch----but that's the way you see it. Thanks for replying (smile)

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

PB,

Something I heard in a Unitarian adult Sunday School some years back:

Speaking in tongues, as it is practiced in the US today, entered Protestant churches when slaves began to participate. It's an adaptation of the ecstatic worship of the babalao, a divinatory priesthood of the Kongo religions in the part of Africa from whence many of the slaves came.

Unfortunately I can't give you any citations.

Felicitas Goodman, who is now a new-age quasi-Native-American-style guru, got her start as a good sound psychological researcher - who began her career by researching tongues-speaking in charismatic churches throughout the world. So there's another lead to follow. Let me know what a websearch turns up.

GentlyFeral

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I don't hold to the ecstatic babble that is done in modern "Spirit-filled" churches. I do attend a Pentecostal church, but I have always been uncomfortable with the Biblical support that many in this group give me. Much of it seems to be pulled out of context.

I also do not agree that "the baptism of the Holy Spirit" is evidenced by speaking in tongues.

If a church does this I don't have a problem, unless they are teaching that you must have this experience to attain a "higher relationship" with God.

Personally, some of the most insensitive and cruel Christians were Pentecostals. Especially if you disagree with this doctrine.

LABD

• dolphman
    dolphman

I've spoken on this subject before, and I know it's hard for a lot of people to understand this phenomena. Hell, even I don't really know. But I'll tell you a little about my experience with it, which is somewhat new.

I began meditating a few years ago. At first I felt nothing. Then over time, I began feeling and doing weird things. Some of which included speaking gibberish uncontrollably and doing spontaneous yoga postures. Some of the "gibberish" later turned out to be Sanskrit mantras, while the rest of it I haven't been able to translate. It sounds like a cross between Hebrew, Gailic, and Latin. In any case, it only happens when I meditate, so I don't do it unless I'm in private. But I'm sure it's the same thing as what Pentacostals and others do when "Speaking in Tongues". Crazy stuff.

-dolph

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

In any case, it only happens when I meditate, so I don't do it unless I'm in private. But I'm sure it's the same thing as what Pentacostals and others do when "Speaking in Tongues". Crazy stuff.

Dolph,

I must say----I find this fascinating!

Can you explain "meditating" a bit more? I doubt if it has the same connotation as the WTS term means, like reflecting or pondering (as they like to say) scriptures to try and understand their deeper meaning....

Annie

• dolphman
    dolphman

Basically, it was just a simple act of closing my eyes and trying to relax. I wanted to really explore my inner world a bit and asked myself "who am I"? and questions like that. But basically I was trying to concentrate deeply on myself. I would relax to the point of almost falling asleep but remaining awake.

I later found out that the questioning "Who am I"? phrase is a buhddist and hindu mantra that is taught to many as a way to reach enlightenment. The answers comes as "I am that", which is when you reach realization. The speaking in tounges is just one of the manifestations of getting in touch with a divine power that can only be accessed when your ego mind is turned off, the part of you that constitutes most of your waking life. That's why I now know the JWs looked down so much on meditation, it was the one way to really find god!

I now see a Hindu guru who is helping along my path. But there is no one path. All religions lead to the same thing, they just have different methods. All it really takes is a sincere effort to try and understand life's mysteries, and an answer is provided. I have to admit, i was quite a philosophical person from even an early age.

• RR
    RR

This isn't exactly speaking in tongues, but there was a brother that my wife and I know. He's an elder in my wife's former congregation. Well, one day he woke up and he cold read and speak Hebrew and Greek. And began partqaking of the memorial. He even had a private meeting with the Governing Body. I don't know what ever happened at that meetings. BUt he's still an elder.

RR

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**I now see a Hindu guru who is helping along my path. But there is no one path. All religions lead to the same thing, they just have different methods. All it really takes is a sincere effort to try and understand life's mysteries, and an answer is provided. I have to admit, i was quite a philosophical person from even an early age.

Thanks for your candid reply, Dolph. Your entire post was interesting---and the last part was comforting.

ALL the crap that the WTS insisted that there was only one way to God---AND they were "it" always made me a tad uncomfortable, even though I preached that to others. It's not that I'm looking for the "tickling of the ears" as opposed to "true religion" ala WTS teaching, but I lean towards finding something that makes me feel more "comfortable" (I seem to keep using that word) and acceptable, rather than having red flags clutter up the scenery!

hugs,

Annie

• proplog2
    proplog2

RR:

I don't believe that anyone can learn a language spontaneously. Sounds like an urban legend. I would need to really see some documentation of that.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I'm with Prop on this one. I can't help feeling that a lot of this is group hysteria. If you go to a club where fast tempo techno is playing you will see lots of people in a trance like state. That is why a lot of people like this kind of music - it induces a trance like state.

This could be a similar effect to stuff like the Toronto Blessing - if you work yourself up enough you could quite easily reproduce this.

No disrespect to those who incorporate this as part of their religious beliefs - as has been said a lot more research is needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit