Speaking in Tongues

by Pinned Blouse 78 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

A lot of people forget that speaking in tongues is not just something Christians can do,,even in Pauls day the pagans spoke in tongues I'm thinking of the "Oracle of Delphi" as one example. So it wasn't something really that unusual.

Pagan and occult groups do also speak in tongues,, We all have the ability just by leting go and saying giberish,, I think it is relaxing to do and can put one in a trance,,I used to do it but haven't much lately,,it helped me let out lots of emotions that must have been bottled up for years. I do feel it will sometimes unleash good psyhic powers for healing, and what we call miracles,,but that maybe rare but I do beleive it happens I used to go to penticostal meetings a while back and have seen a few things nothing really that spectacular but enough to make me have this view.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Carmel,

In my experience, experiencing and feeling the awesome presence of God's HS can be overwhelming emotionally. But at the same time, I allow my life to be directed by the Holy Spirit in any ways possible. He helps guide me and grow in the maturity of the spirit, meaning my own spirit. So there's alot of mental maturity involved moreso than the emotional level. Personally, I like it that way.

In John 14:26 which states that the HS is not only my counselor, but also my teacher. So before I open my bible to read the scriptures, I pray that the HS would guide me in my reading as well as my studying that the HS would open my eyes to understanding what I am reading and learning. It's a big bonus for me and a helper for me when I have alot of trouble understanding what I am reading. Governing the fact that I am deaf, I'm not like 100% perfect in comprehending english and you may see from my writing that my grammer and sentence structures sucks! Heh!

When I was witnessing to someone from work many years ago, the guy I witnessed to often would get mad at me and I would try different approaches to share the gospel with him. None of it really got to his senses. (This is the weeks after I first got baptised in the HS, so I was pretty fired up in wanting to witness to other people. Just as was the first century church folks who got baptised in the HS in the day of Penticost. They went out witnessing to people on that very same day.)

So I prayed about it one day, asking God for his wisdom and guidance in how to reach this dude for Christ. All of a sudden, out of the blue was the scripture..."Don't give pearls before swine". Now at first I knew of this scripture when I read it, but lacked the understanding of it. I have a very bad habit of putting certain scriptures into the back burner, figuring that I get back to it and research the meaning of it later. But this day it was different, so before I could ask God what it meant, again, out of the blue was a format in my head that looked like this....

Pearl + Gospel = Swine + The Person

So here I am sitting there and looking at that format in my mind. Then it hit me. "Ooooohhhhhh!! I get it!!" Then I suddenly realized that the HS was telling me a message, which basically said, "If the guy don't wanna hear about, he don't wanna hear about it!" So I took that meaning that I am to back off, so I backed off and never bothered the dude again.

So this is some of the things of what HS means to me and what he has done for me in my life. Everyone who has been baptised in the HS has many different experience, but this one is just my own.

Yiz

• proplog2
    proplog2

RR:

My own curiosity would force me to investigate this situation 'til I made a nuisance of myself.

What evidence was there that the person could speak Hebrew & Greek?

Could he write Hebrew & Greek?

Was he an expert at translating Hebrew & Greek?

Did you put something written in Greek in front of him and then ask him to read it?

Was he an idiot savant?

Verify! Verify! Verify!

Since you believe in demons and think they are powerful I would think that you might be a little gullible.

I would love to have proof of this one.

• gumby
    gumby

RR old bud, I know it's a pisser when people doubt what you feel you know is true.........but this story is a hard one to swallow. I don't believe you are making this up............but could some of the "facts" be wrong, and could this story have gotten out of hand as the years passed with each story becoming more fantastic along the way? No offense bud.......but this one is a doooooooooooooozy!

Gumby

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Does anyone know how I can save this discussion so I can use it for research?

Thanks

PB

• Mary
    Mary
    I always thought that the gift of tounges was the ability speak in other languages in order to preach the good news to other lands. Penticost......33CE......

This is correct. The bizarre, theatrical show that many of these churches have with regards to 'speaking in tongues', is nothing but a money ploy in most cases. We've all seen the preachers on TV do it: They get up there and practically scream at the audience and the audience is on their feet with their hands above their heads, crying, chanting and saying "Amen!" after ever sentence. If you actually listen to what the preacher is saying, you'll soon see that he's simply rambling--------he makes no sense at all; his job it to whip the audience into an emotional frenzy and then get all the loot out of them that they can.

My grandparents used to be Penecostals back in the 1930s but they never really liked it. My grandfather asked one woman after services (when she was uh, filled with the Holy Ghost and rolling around speaking another language) what exactly had she said when she was speaking in a different tongue and what language had she been speaking in anyway? Her answer was that she had no idea what language she was speaking or even what she was saying. My grandfather said it didn't even sound like a language---just someone muttering a bunch of gobbly-gook.

I give these churches today who promote speaking in tongues a big fat zero for credibility. The first century christians were given these gifts for one purpose: to spread the gospel. There is no scriptural evidence whatsoever that anyone ever acted like they do in modern day churches.

• RR
    RR

How could it have gotten out of hand, when I know the guy personally. The guy could hardly speak english, he's a haitian immigrant, attends the Frech congregation. Not very educated, then he wakes up speaking AND reading fluent Greek and Hebrew. I'm not talking key words, biblical language here! believe it or not, I could care less!

RR

• proplog2
    proplog2

RR:

So what does he do with this talent? I would love to interview him. What has he done in front of YOU? Can he do it all the time? Or does he have to be in a special state of mind. Is he able to make comments about greek grammar etc.?

It IS possible, perhaps to do this sort of thing. Unusual mental abilities are demonstrated by Idiot Savants. Some people can hear a complicated musical piece and play it without ever seeing the music or receiving formal training. Does this individual show any signs of Asbergers syndrome or perhaps some other Autistic tendencies?

Does he enjoy the attention he gets from this ability?

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Unusual mental abilities are demonstrated by Idiot Savants.

scuse me? Dont mention autism or aspergers in the same sentence as idiot savants, its a gross misrepresentation of Autism and AS. Autism and AS is a way of life that depends on high intellectual standards to make sense of the world in which they live and to stucture life without the normal flow of the brain proccesing function, the word idiot demonstrates the ignorance of people.

RR, all I can say is that story does seem to be untrue, even if you knew him it doesnt mean it actually happened. Who was it that decided his writings were Greek and Hebrew? did it just look like it or did a greek scholar come along and add to the authenticity of this story? Or did another JW just come along and say "hey thats greek and Hebrew", how would they know?

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

It seems too many people think that they have to speak in tounges in order to be accepted in these type of churches.

I know that from my own experience, if you could speak in tounges, you were part of the "in" crowd whereas you were considered more spiritual. Sort of like Pioneer status without the 90 hours per month

However, and I could be wrong cause I'm only going by memory, isn't there a scripture that says to the effect that not everyone can speak in tounges, not everyone can be a teacher...or something like that. I feel that not everybody can have the gift. They may possess other gifts of the spirit but it doesn't mean they HAVE to speak in tounges.

Sadly, I just wonder how many people just fake speaking in tounges just so they can be accepted in their church. I would bet the percentage is high.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit