Go Get Em COSBY!!!

by Flash 211 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

scrub-

You can speak for yourself. You said "we" a few too many times. I do not feel like a victim. I do not blame "the man" for anything. I don't judge people by their clothes. I am in school getting a double major, doing what I can for myself and my children. I volunteer. I will also be voting now that I can.

You can try to characterize all blacks as being materialistic victims, but that just not the case. Two thirds of blacks are in the middle class and above brackets. Do you really think they go around blaming others for their lives?

I feel sorry that we continue as a black race to allow overself to be victims and we do not get the BIG picture..
    why is it we still do not seem to be able to progress and move forwarded
    we are still living in the past and being victims
    we are still judging people by the brand name of clothes,shoes, expensive car a peson drives and etc
    Oh and as for not "moving forward".. the number of black women going to college is going through the roof. Educated mothers will instill in their children the need for an education. I think things will start looking up.
  • betty boop
    betty boop

Well i am a young hispanic woman living working and going to school in a very tough city..but i still do it i still pull thru as many of my friends and family wether they are minority or not. And altho there are millions of minority and immigrant people who are hardworking and understand the meaning of respecting yourself and others, i know ALOT of people who dont and yes sad to say alot of those are minorities (black and hispanic) I went to high school with girls who are my age and are still working in retail stores and having 3,000 kids while their "babydaddy" supposedly supports them yet they all have like $100 sneakers on..i just think Girl you have never grown up..Thats a big reality and its a shame..They speak and conduct themselves like children and they are 40 and still like that and their kids are still like that..I dont get it. We all had it hard why do some people go to college and make something of themselves and some dont? And they say that "the man" is at fault. That the opportunites arent the same?? What? Everyone can go to school, everyone can apply for a job, everyone can learn to speak w/out sounding like an idiot. The "ghetto mentality" is no ones fault but their own. And i can say so cuz i grew up around it. If you think you are being held back, than only you can move fwd.

• Fred H
    Fred H

Amen, brothers and sisters. ......and so it goes. What have we learned?

• bigboi
    bigboi

I still don't get where this blaming the man for all our problems comes from. Have I promoted that type pf attittude in this thread?

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

I still don't get why it's such a big deal to some black people that a black man spoke out in the way he did. White leaders, actors, speak out all the time about 'white' problems if you will and they are not stigmatized because of such.

Why does that bother a black person so much? I know damn well if a white person had been up on that stage saying the same he would be called racist. But a black man does and he is basically called a trader. Who then is supossed to point out problem areas?

Is is because no one wants to hear that they do have problems or won't admit such publically to try and fix such? Because the only other option is to whisper about whatever one believes the problem may be and hope it gets fixed. It reminds me of the game of 'telephone' the right message is never heard in the end.

Cassi

• Fred H
    Fred H

The last religion I practiced was Buddhism. The middle way. Most of the posts I've read here voice exactly the debates I have in my own mind. I suspect that the same goes for most of us regardless of the position or point of view we reveal in these posts. It's a process or discovering the truth which may be different for each of us. One truth is that most of us are selfish individuals and that we hide our own personal (I mean really personal talk-to-your-shrink type personal) agendas behind a lot of rhetoric and grandious facades. There are very few absolutes in this life....maybe death and taxes.

I think Cosby was right in that the people of the civil rights movements of the '60s who put so much on the line, their lives, their livelyhoods, the saftey and welfare of their families and friends, need to be remembered by all. I don't think of them as victims. They were the victors.

OK. Where's the anthem music?

I'm pretty sure that someone will find an acception to this post as well....

• bigboi
    bigboi
    I still don't get why it's such a big deal to some black people that a black man spoke out in the way he did. White leaders, actors, speak out all the time about 'white' problems if you will and they are not stigmatized because of such.

Do you think that all Black people are somehow obligated to embrace Bill Cosby for what he did? Most times when celebrities or even community leaders speaks on an issue it's sparks debate about the issue, that's just how it is. You make it sound as if white people agree with each other all the time or immediately fall in line when a famous person speaks, that's silly and you know it.

Why does that bother a black person so much? I know damn well if a white person had been up on that stage saying the same he would be called racist. But a black man does and he is basically called a trader. Who then is supossed to point out problem areas

No one is calling Bill Cosby a traitor. I was deeply dissappointed by what he said because I thought it was based on negative, misguided, emotion. He can do much better in trying to reach the people he's talking about. Again, are we supposed to just accept whatever criticism is handed down just because a Black man said it?

Is is because no one wants to hear that they do have problems or won't admit such publically to try and fix such? Because the only other option is to whisper about whatever one believes the problem may be and hope it gets fixed. It reminds me of the game of 'telephone' the right message is never heard in the end.
    Nobody likes to be talked down to. I don't see how "publicly admitting" about an all too public problem is gonna help out. Anyone who really needed to hear what he said tuned him out a long time ago,
  • Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Do you think that all Black people are somehow obligated to embrace Bill Cosby for what he did? Most times when celebrities or even community leaders speaks on an issue it's sparks debate about the issue, that's just how it is. You make it sound as if white people agree with each other all the time or immediately fall in line when a famous person speaks, that's silly and you know it.

No I do not think they should embrace him, as a matter of fact I found some of his comments crude. And I would not appreciate being spoken to that way as well. I was not speaking about this thread only but those of his last comments and watching reaction on TV and such because of the first comments he made. Many said that he should have kept such to himself and inside the black community.

No one is calling Bill Cosby a traitor. I was deeply dissappointed by what he said because I thought it was based on negative, misguided, emotion. He can do much better in trying to reach the people he's talking about. Again, are we supposed to just accept whatever criticism is handed down just because a Black man said it?

Some have called him a traitor, I heard a man on O?Reily doing just that. I?m sorry I do not know his name. There was a white guy who disagreed with Cosby and a black guy as well. Both called him a traitor to his people ( first set of comments and second were discussed). And no I do not think you are too accept everything that is said. I just wondered why it was such a big deal last time when his comments seemed much tamer if you will.

Nobody likes to be talked down to. I don't see how "publicly admitting" about an all too public problem is gonna help out. Anyone who really needed to hear what he said tuned him out a long time ago,

II agree completely. I am not saying to publicly admit anything one finds wrong with their situation but publicly saying there is a problem should not be that much of an insult. Because it not only has been said that he should not have said it at all but also the way he said it.

Cassi

• bigboi
    bigboi
    ((Bigboi)), I'm sure it doesn't mean much, but I've agreed with pretty much everything you've written.

Well it is what it is. Most of the problems in the Black community are class based. We share a common history and heritage but today, like in every major community, there is a class difference and a generation gap. Dudes like Cosby and JT have a hard time understanding us young folk and our wild and crazy ways I guess.

• Flash
    Flash

I seems to come down to two approaches to the problem. The 'ghetto' blacks (and I am making a purposeful distintion here) pull themselves up on their own or the government uses Reagan's philosiphy of "A rising tide raises all boats" and re-educate everyone. If I were a black person I wouldn't wait for the government to fix it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit