Go Get Em COSBY!!!

by Flash 211 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

corr--

our community accepts young blacks using any kind of language WITHOUT any repercussions-

• JT
    JT

I'm a white woman, and my parents were white. Both my parents picked cotton. I had twin cousins that never got ot go to school, the mother was too poor to buy school supplies and no one provides much help here in Texas. They don't give too much stuff away here. I live in dallas county, a fairly nice area. but we live in the poor side. Grownig up here, we were the poor white trash,in both the cong and town. I have been called names and basically spit on myself, so i know it hurts, and demoralizes a person.

## being from NC i know about how "poor white Trailer trash" gets treated- i had a white buddy and he would tell some rough stories, , being a black kid figured all white persons had it good., but i saw that was not true.

Jws don't help much, by encourging kids not to go to college, and clean houses for a living.

#### you got ap point there if you are already down telling folks not to improve their lot in life is the worst advice to offer as we were as JW

ignorance and all that does not really have a color.

###### you could not have stated it any better

They were quick to use the race card, -

### when this is done and the reason is not legit --sad to sad when someone comes along with a legit issue it only weakens their case

in my exp no race has the "Market" on members who are "JackA$$s and fools"

i firmly believe there is enough to spread around- smile

• JT
    JT

JT

this would be a true statement if ALL WHO ARE POOR AND UNEDUCATED are that way by no fault of their own, but the fact is in the black community getting straight A's in your avg inner black High School is considered BEING WHITE-

When I first heard this I knew the black youth were in serious trouble. Dooming themselves to poverty.

#########

you will not believe how many groups of black youths i have heard this from, but what is really sad, many of THESE KIDS parents are college graduates and this is their value system-

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Bill Cosby is right to say what he did. Now who is going to stand up and say something about the sad state white youths are in and tell white men to stop beating their wives and so on? Practically the whole developed world, especially in the USA is in a awful state. Ain't it the truth?But hey, not THAT troof.

Flyin'

• wednesday
    wednesday

FHN, i have been saying that all along. There are many poor uneducated whites, and other races(in states the mexican people come to mind). Drugs, illteracy, lack of goals is not just within the black race. However, the black race is unique in that they resent the white race and will say things like others have stated, ie, getting A's is acting white. I have lived around mexican people all my life, and they value education and will try and better themselves if they can. I have seen poor whites act just as stupic. Some do not feel education is important, and openly make remarks about rich people. So where u have blacks saying they do not want to act white, poor whites will often basically say the same thing, they will disparage the upper class and resent it. they will call males in corporate jobs "suits' and make jokes about them. Here in the southwest, a lot of the church going people behave this way. Money is evil and better to lead a simple God fearing, (less educated) life.

JT, thnaks for reading my posts and replying. Yes, here in the south/southwest, poor whites are blamed for a lot and viewed generally as no better than blacks, or perhaps worse, b/c after all, they have an advantage of being white.

I remember something that happened many years ago. I was in line for some kind of help. Forgive me, It has been so long, i just can't remember what kind. I was in my 20's and the lady behind the counter was at least 40-50 . the woman hated me, b/c i was poor and she sneered at me , b/c i was white and poor. I was trash. A young black man was behind me and he noticed i "took on" a subservant attitude and stance.(lower your eyes and don't attempt any eye contact and only speak when spoken to and no extra talking and yes mam and no mam") I did it to get help. I knew if i appeared cocky or even if i tried to act like i was just like her, -she would find some reason to throw me out. He noticed what i was doing and pulled me aside and asked me "why i was doing "this".He said u don't have to do "that" u are white". I said" yes, but i am poor and they hate us too". He said 'they hate their own people?"He shook his head and said"they just rule the world, don't they?". I said, 'yes, i'm afraid so". I bet that guy still remembers that encounter, i know i do.

• Flash
    Flash

StinkyPantz

I rarely see this much concern over "white" issues. Only 21 percent of whites go to college. Work on those numbers. Thousands of whites live in poverty, talk about that, too.

Your right! I think the problem lies with the main stream media having a liberal politcal agenda to advance and 'uses' the black race as pawns to do so. The plight of poor whites (and anyone else in hardship) does not work to their advantage politicaly and so are not highlited much.

I just don't think that what Cosby did and how he did it will accomplish anything.

I wonder how seriously Rev. King was taken when he started out?

bigboi

...This is just a re-hashing of old stereotypes and prejudices. Which is what speeches like Cosby's tend to promote.

I disagree bigboi. If it were a white person saying these things I would have to consider the possibility that were the case, but Bill is a black man passionately concerned for his fellow black people. I agree with him, attitudes have to change, awareness has to increase and education has to be stressed...Or else things are going to stay the SAME!

Philosphically, your opinions are not much different than my own.
    You know youself better than I bigboi, from what I've read from your posts on this thread though, I don't see it.
  • Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Cosby is right that many of the youth today are wasting what those have fought for in the civil rights movements.

But it is NOT just african americans. There are many females today, for example, black, white or whatever that do not appreciate what choices they have in this country today because they have not experience the prejudice that was present in this country before they were born.

Cosby is blasting african americans because he is from that community. As a white person, it was refreshing for me to hear, because sometimes it gets old after a while hearing the "poor, oppressed us" speech from some of the community leaders. HOWEVER, it could be that because I am white, I probaby don't pay attention or get to hear the other community leaders for african americans that take a more proactive approarch to steering their community in the right direction. Shame on me for that. I have internet access..I should go a surfing if I what to hear another side or opinion form that community.

Here is the thing though, his words do apply to many races in this country. I agree, maybe he could have been a little less harsh and have some more encouraging words. But Bill Cosby has been putting himself out there to education people of all colors for decades. I think he is entitle to rant every now and then, and to be taken seriously .

I hate hearing the n word...I don't think it is right for anyone to say it to anyone else, regardless of their color. Just because you are black doesn't mean it is a word reserved only for your race. It is still a horrible word, but I don't think a lot of today's youth, white and black, take that seriously because it is used so loosely in music and movies. I am female, but I don't think that it would be okay for me to call another woman a cu*t. I think that word is about the worst in the english language, with exception of the n word. I believe in free speech, but that word I think is just so wrong, so vile.

By the way, I just got back from GA. I was there all week doing some paperwork for new employees. About 90% of them are black. And all of these jobs are technical positions. There are a lot of minorities in hi tech fields today...I am just as likely to talk to someone that is african american as white for most of the positions I have recruited for. And there were many more people that were interested in these jobs that were non white that had excellent technical skills. I think as a society the african american community is trying to move ahead just like everyone else. I think they just have more vocal leaders, and there are of course still lingering sterotypes that some are quick to apply.

Just my two cents...I love Cosby, I loved him on Electrica Company, when he was on Kaptain Kangaroo, as well as Fat Albert and his tv shows. He is a great example of a man that gives back to the American people...not just members of his own race, but all of us. We need more people like him.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Flash,

disagree bigboi. If it were a white person saying these things I would have to consider the possibility that were the case, but Bill is a black man passionately concerned for his fellow black people. I agree with him, attitudes have to change, awareness has to increase and education has to be stressed...Or else things are going to stay the SAME!

When I said "for the most part I didn't get anyone's and attention " and the things that have happened here are just a "re-hashing of old stereotypes and prejudices" I was talking about THIS thread, not Cosby's comments. The fact that I said his comments promoted those types of repsonses should have been indicative of that.

You know youself better than I bigboi, from what I've read from your posts on this thread though, I don't see it.
    What have I said here that seeks to absolve people of personal responsibilty for the things they do?
  • bigboi
    bigboi
    once again you like so many folks are continuing to get "Hung" up on the messager and not the message- you sound like a JW who rejects the message since it comes from an "Apostate"

you too are doing the same thing,

It's all about the way the messge is presented. More than anybody like myself or yourself or any of the other people commenting in this thread, Cosby words are meant for those they apply to. I don't see myslef as getting hung on the who said whatever. I just happen to be one of those people who believe that when you are seeking to get people to make life changing decisions, then it does indeed matter how you present the infomation to them. Most of the people here who were JW's would hardly have been motivated to change their lives if someone had castigated the WTS using the harsh, disrepectful, tone and language this man used the other day. The reason being most people, no matter their station in life, appreciate it more if you approach them with a certain level of respect and dignity. Basically Bill Cosby's words WILL HAVE NO EFFECT on the people's lives he is supposedly trying to effect. I guess that will give most of the people yet one more charge to level against them, "See, then didn't even listen to Bill Cosby."

I don't have time at this moment to sift through the thread and find comments I made earlier. However, one the charges I'm seeing bandied about here is blaming white people for our problems. I'm not sure if I've been guilty of doing the same. My unsurety comes from the fact that so many people, including yourself, are bringing it up so often. I think the gist of my posts here (unless I was trying to refute what I believed to an erroneous point of view) , when it comes to Cosby's comments at least, are aimed at trying to raise the bar of discussion concerning socioeconomic realities and the ever-present race issue. That has little to do with blaming anybody for anythig solely based on what color they happen to be.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    and its not just "POOR UNEDUCATED BLACK FOLKS" I live around a ton of highly educated black folks, Howard , Speelman, Moorehouse, etc- yet the behavoir of their kids you would think they came from a broken home with no dad and mom on welfare working 3 parttime jobs-

it goes FAR beyond classses of black folks it goes to the core values black folks are teaching their kids in terms of acceptable behavoir and decorum-

JT,

What you say here could apply equally to children all over America. It's not a racial problem, it's a societal problem. Which is one of the things that makes Cosby's criticism so unfair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit