Go Get Em COSBY!!!

by Flash 211 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Hey, at least black women are getting on the ball. If the trend continues I think things will start to look up. Educated moms will pass on the importance for education to their children.

• astro_girl
    astro_girl

I've lived in a predominantly black middle-class neighborhood for about 13 years. My husband and I have been married 11 years. I'm white and he's black. We take care of his mom who's in her late 70's.

The one thing we can tell you is that many of kids in this neighborhood act and talk in a totally offensive manner. The screaming, yelling and cursing that comes out of their mouths is really quite disgusting. They call each other n*ggers all the time and are constantly breaking bottles in the same streets their parents drive their cars, chucking their garbage all over and the latest trend in this neighborhood is "lets kick some cars really hard and make some dents".

I'm not trying to paint a one sided picture because I know not all the kids here act like this but there are way too many that do. There are some really smart kids out there who want to live a peaceful life and are brought down by this kind of constant rowdy behaviour. I'm sure it's not an easy road for those kids who have some integrity and refuse to degrade themselves.

We live pretty close to a school and there is a fight on average about every 2-3 weeks during the school year. I'm talking about a swarm of roughly 60-100 kids screaming and egging on whatever 2 morons decided to go at it. The police are called on a regular basis.

My husband told some kids (4 girls) to leave our property the other day. They were standing behind a tree by our living room window trying to smoke a joint. They told him "f*ck off n*gger you can't tell us what to do!" After going back and forth with these mental midgets, they finally relented. Unfortunately, this is the norm here.

I'm glad Cosby had the balls to say what he has said. My husband is too. It definitely needs to be addressed because these kids are really going nowhere. They wind up drug addicts, prostitutes (single teenage moms abound here) criminals etc. It's a pretty sad situation at least where I am.

astro_girl

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

You can't handle the truth!!!!!!

• Flash
    Flash

Lehaa

I think what he said goes for a lot of people, black and white.

No doubt about it. Poor attitude and ignorance are an universal problem.

Sunspot

Flash---Thanks for sharing this article!

hugs,

Annie

Thank you for participating...Hugs to you too!

Santanus

Cosby is just hitting the target. That hurts...That is why it's good that bill presents it as positive criticism, not tearing down criticism.

Absolutely, the truth is often painful because our egos and self-worth get bruised.

Frannie Banannie

He's only saying what needed to be said by role models...

All celebrities and people in the public eye are role models, for good or for bad. They can deny it but they can't change it!

Cassiline

There were more black children than white achieving academic excellence awards ( scholarships) than white.

Education / re-education is the answer. I glad to hear its happening in some places!

hemp lover

These are all great questions. And the last one is still relevant, considering what happened in Florida in the 2000 election.

No dimpled or hanging chads here!

Yizuman

I wouldn't be too surprised if some blacks out there disagree with Crosby and call him an "Uncle Tom" Just the same they called Clarance Thomas one as he became a US Supreme Court Judge.

That's for certain, it's only a matter of time.

HappyDad

There is too much of the ..."I don't have the opportunities" mentality going around...

As long as we blame others for our problems is just how long we'll be stuck with them. What if Martin Luther King had the 'woe is me attitude?'

bigboi

they are NOT handing chances to low budget people in the ghetto, so low budget people in those ghetto's try to make it any way they can..by any means..

Well bigboi, you certainly got everyones attention! Thank you for adding life to my thread.

You and I are at opposite ends of the issue though. I'm big on personal responcibility and effort, not waiting for others to do it for me or for making excuses why my lack of achievement is the fault of others. I would often tell my children, "If you want a living standard like we have, do what I've done. If you want more than you have to be more than I am (a truck driver with a 9th grade education) be more than I am." I stressed education a lot!

How many East Indians are there in the US? Are they truly assimilated or do they tend to live in their own parts of town....like Chinese immigrants and Hispanic and Blacks?

I actualy don't think it's wrong for people of the same race or nationality to collect together, to live with each other to associate with each other. I think it's only natural. I believe it's only a problem when we view our particular group to be the best, to be superior. That's when problems arise. Respect, tolorance and humility is manditory if there is to be peaceful and good relations with each other.

DanTheMan

All the Irish had to do was drop the blarney stone accent and they were in like Flynn. Can you really tell the difference between an Irishman and an Englishman by appearance only?

For the most part I can, not every time though...Irish I am

JT

this would be a true statement if ALL WHO ARE POOR AND UNEDUCATED are that way by no fault of their own, but the fact is in the black community getting straight A's in your avg inner black High School is considered BEING WHITE-

When I first heard this I knew the black youth were in serious trouble. Dooming themselves to poverty.

Wednesday

I have a dream, when we all stop blaming others for things we can have some affect on.

Now, doesn't THAT sound familar?

La_Big_Dawg

Look at the "good" Rev. Jackson! He must have been thinking, "What an Uncle Tom!"

It's guys like him that perpetuate the problem!

Larry

Another good read, thanks for posting that Flash -

Thank you, I was very pleasantly suprised at the responce from everyone, Pro and Con.

Crazy151Drinker

Next time you want to bitch about how "the white man took this, the white man stole that" remember youre living on American Indian land.

It's so sad, tragic. The American Indian is still trapped on reservations?! In 2004??!!

Doubtfully Yours

Cosby is right!!! Some people just can't handle the truth.

I think Mr. Cosby's understanding of the situation is exactly right. He is criticaly viewing the problem intellectualy rather than emotionaly. The answers that come are based in reality and not on desires.

Heynow!

Just wanted to be 100th post

Hello HeyNow

StinkyPantz

I find it interesting though, that some of the biggest supporters of Bill Cosby on this issue don't have a dog on the race, and seem glad to just be able to vent their frustrations about blacks.
    You noticed that too?

What???

They ripple effect on ALL of us is in-escapable! How can we non-blacks not be concerned???

Hey, at least black women are getting on the ball. If the trend continues I think things will start to look up. Educated moms will pass on the importance for education to their children.

Then we agree, there is a serious problem that needs to be address.

astro_girl

I'm glad Cosby had the balls to say what he has said. My husband is too. It definitely needs to be addressed because these kids are really going nowhere. They wind up drug addicts, prostitutes (single teenage moms abound here) criminals etc. It's a pretty sad situation at least where I am.

And that's what it takes of us to fix any problem. We need to grow a backbone, see it for what it is then roll our sleeves up and go to work.

I also am a Astro Boy fan. I used to live and breathe it as a child.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry
    Bill Cosby may be cute as a crochety old black man "telling it like it is" but in dollars and cents it is the fact that balck people rarely bully their way throguth college with brute cash and are ingorant of what it takes to hip and hop thought the financial aid hoops with out having to play hoops or hip and hop because music and sports are still probally the more utillized schoolarships for african americans.

This comment is based on non-reality. When I went back to school in the late seventies, I also couldn?t afford an expensive college. So, I went to the local community college for something like a hundred bucks a semester. The classes were filled with black kids who were all too familiar with intuition aid and the whole community college thing. So please, that old argument about how black kids don?t know about what?s available to them is simple non-sense. Anyway, I didn?t qualify for aid so I had to pay for my education out of my own pocket (not like it was a great deal of money though). A good friend of mine got his CPA degree going to community college, BTW.

You gotta wanna. Anything else is just a lame ass excuse. Sorry, but that?s the way it is.

There's plenty of black kids (and anyone else who really wants it) going to college at night getting their future together. But it ain?t the path of lest resistance, ya know?

Stop making excuses for what you don?t have, and go get some.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Written to bigboi-

You and I are at opposite ends of the issue though. I'm big on personal responcibility and effort, not waiting for others to do it for me or for making excuses why my lack of achievement is the fault of others.

And here I never saw bigboi say that he wasn't big on personal responsibility and effort.

Flash-

StinkyPantz

I find it interesting though, that some of the biggest supporters of Bill Cosby on this issue don't have a dog on the race, and seem glad to just be able to vent their frustrations about blacks.
    You noticed that too?

What???

They ripple effect on ALL of us is in-escapable! How can we non-blacks not be concerned???

Did you even notice the part of the above quote that I bolded? I was agreeing with the part about how, whenever someone says something negative about blacks, that the discussion often turns into a bitchfest about blacks. Whatever your frustration/issue bring it here! Even if it's not related!

Then we agree, there is a serious problem that needs to be address.

I never said otherwise. I don't think anyone on the whole thread said otherwise. I just don't think that what Cosby did and how he did it will accomplish anything. His words won't suddenly make people realize the importance of an education. It just gave people that have issues with blacks more ammunition. I rarely see this much concern over "white" issues. Only 21 percent of whites go to college. Work on those numbers. Thousands of whites live in poverty, talk about that, too.
  • bigboi
    bigboi
    Well bigboi, you certainly got everyones attention! Thank you for adding life to my thread.

You and I are at opposite ends of the issue though. I'm big on personal responcibility and effort, not waiting for others to do it for me or for making excuses why my lack of achievement is the fault of others. I would often tell my children, "If you want a living standard like we have, do what I've done. If you want more than you have to be more than I am (a truck driver with a 9th grade education) be more than I am." I stressed education a lot!

I don't think I got anyone's attention here. Neither did Cosby for that matter. This is just a re-hashing of old stereotypes and prejudices. Which is what speeches like Cosby's tend to promote. However, the part of one off my posts you quoted were not my words. Philosphically, your opinions are not much different than my own.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    rarely see this much concern over "white" issues. Only 21 percent of whites go to college. Work on those numbers. Thousands of whites live in poverty, talk about that, too.

Could this be true? Poor , uneducated white people , living in poverty? and no alarm over that? No spokesperson for them? No grants, no AA to help?

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Could this be true? Poor , uneducated white people , living in poverty? and no alarm over that? No spokesperson for them? No grants, no AA to help?

Write these guys a letter, I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

http://www.naawp.com/

• JT
    JT

It's all in the presentation.

### so are you saying that until IT IS PRESENTED JUST RIGHT black folks will have to continue to suffer until someone can tell them IN JUST THE "Right" manner issues they need to address

the truth is the truth ---- regardless of the package,

if a KKK DUDES tells me---" "Nig***" you car is on fire" - as he passes me in the next lane, i might cop an attitude, but if my car is on fire what he said despite HOW HE SAID IT IS STILL TRUE-

"Currently there are hip-hop summits going on all over the country, where Russel Simmons and others in the hip-hop community are coming together to register young voters. Tons of kids are at each of these summits. Why didn't Bill go to any one of them to voice his concerns about the young, poor and disenfranchised?"

oncea again i have stated i agree that he could have done it differently, place time or audience, but that still has no impact on whether it is true or not that black folks need to address issues within our own community that many times have nothing to do white people as much as BAD CHOICES

"Yet, a millioniare comedian who created such memorable characters as MUSHMOUTH and DUMBDONALD gets a pass becuse he is telling the "truth"? "

once again you like so many folks are continuing to get "Hung" up on the messager and not the message- you sound like a JW who rejects the message since it comes from an "Apostate"

you too are doing the same thing, what does his $$$$$$ status have to do with the need of black folks to take responisblity for things we can-

the white man has nothing to do with a black man who fathers 6 babies by 6 women, married to none and then wants me to pay for them-

as i have stated are there issues that are impacted by race , of course, but are there issues that are impacted by folks just making bad decisions yes in deed-

you can be poor as dirt and don't have to be nasty- to throw an empty beer bottle on the street has nothing to do with the white man

walk around any property owned in THE HOOD by the Nation of Isslam and tell me if you see any trash there-

and its not just "POOR UNEDUCATED BLACK FOLKS" I live around a ton of highly educated black folks, Howard , Speelman, Moorehouse, etc- yet the behavoir of their kids you would think they came from a broken home with no dad and mom on welfare working 3 parttime jobs-

it goes FAR beyond classses of black folks it goes to the core values black folks are teaching their kids in terms of acceptable behavoir and decorum-

when you go to the music section of Best Buy you will find that Black Artist produce the most "X" rate music in the market place- our community accepts you blacks using any kind of language WITHOUT any repercussions-

to give an "Image Award" to a black man or woman who just called his black bro and sister words i can't even use is very revealling about what black folks are willing to accept-

you attempted to make a point about no one speaks the kings english, i didnt understand your argument-

yes no one speaks the kings english, but i certainly hope that you were not trying to say that the street lingo is the only way black kids should be able to speak-

to speak the street lingo and KNOW WHEN AND WERE to used it - is one thing, but if that is the ONLY way one knows how to speak then they are in trouble- would you agree???

correct me if i am wrong, but it appears to me that your focus is on "Cosby" and not the issues he put on the table, if Cosby drops dead on sunday it will still leave you and i looking at black folks who are making too many back choices

just my 2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit