Should Saddam Be Executed If Found Guilty?

by Englishman 65 Replies latest social current

• wednesday
    wednesday

Simon, Saddam looked as if he had a makeover. he was not in my opinion in an ill fitting suit, it looked nice and he had a manicure. his hair and eyebrows had been colored. As far as the weight, they showed pics of him from 98-when he was captured ,and now. he appears far healthier, and he is working out 2x day. He looked better than he ever has. He is lucky he is alive. He is being treated far better than your average criminal.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    If Saddam DOES get the death penalty, let's all pray that Beckham doesn't take it.

LOL @ Eman!!!!

Best line of the week!!!

• Panda
    Panda

We all know and he knows that he will be condemned. He's just worried about how and how public. Shoot the man's a deposed dictator he should expect death.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Englishman, that's wonderful!! LOL as in I did, not as in polite convention.

I am ambivalent about it, in the original sense of being torn by two opinions, not the more modern meaning of not minding.

I actually think televising him being fed feet-first into an animal feed grinder (a form of 'execution' practised by Saddam's reigeme) would be very instructive to any nasty little evil despots.

But vengence has always been more dramatic than justice.

On the other hand, as my girlfriend pointed out once when discussing this (I used to be pro), "If killing is wrong, then killing is wrong." And although one can pick it apart and find exceptions (such as self-defence), to be honest she has a point.

What was the name of that German war criminal who lived for years (into the 1980's?) in jail in Germany? He rotted there. People were saying it would have been kinder to hang him.

Precisely.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    To have a proper justice system it needs to begine with the presumtion of innocence. You cannot just declare someone guilty and execute them.

That may pass as justice for some but it doesn't cut it for most civilised people.

Simon,

The premise of the thread, as stated in the subject, is based on the assumption that Saddam is found guilty. Lighten up.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

it wouldn't bother me if he got executed. I don't believe in torture, as it has a negative effect on the torturers, but a clean, private execution is the best way to handle it.

I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty anymore - the latest round of DNA exonerations has shaken my worldview. While I have no moral problems with executing the indisputably guilty, it seems that many innocents have died under my previous assumptions. Therefore, I would like to see the death penalty reserved for those who commit truly horrible crimes against the nation or humanity. Like Dahmer, McVeigh, or Bin Laden. Or Saddam. But his crimes against the U.S. are minimal - compared to what he did to his own people.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit