Why is there death and suffering?

by hooberus 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hoob,

I really do hope you can loose your fear of jehovah. he's not worth it.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    so do you then believe in a spirit dimension (in addition to the physical fleshly world)?

I think so.

Here is a hypothetical situation to consider. Let's say that somehow the bible was totally debunked, and everyone came to the conclusion that it was a combination of myths, history and diabolicalism; not gods words. In this hypothetical situation, if there had been a jesus w any resemblance at all to the biblical one, and if he was floating around as a spirit, what would happen to the christian paradigm? If christianity ceased to be, what would the jesus spirit do, provided that he exists, and is still connected in any way to this planet?

SS

SS

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    MarkFC : But I think on a board like this

Ok in résume : you think, he thinks, she thinks, they thinks, I think ... WE ALL JUST DO in the way we are or want ...

Edited to add : unless someone is breaking the board rules ... not your business ... We Take care of ourselfves

Well, I said a bit more than that but, hey ignore the rest.. A simple point is how would you just do what you want and then at the same time step off with some things because its 'not your business?' Doesn't that limit just doing what you want? If we're talking about making it personal that would be one thing, but don't expect me to stop talking about human behavior because sometimes it may fit and some people don't like that. Yes, I actually do not make any "someones" my business, although we do discuss and interact - its not just a collective monologue here. I see no reason why we cannot talk about how we interact. By the same token I can say how someone reacts to what I say is not by business, if I am not directing it at them - its that persons own suffering. (atleast that's related to the thread topic) But I am not insensitive to this, if someone doesn't like talking about that and I pick up on it, I'll leave them alone. Now, are we done? Anything else you'd like to add? I've said about all I can so thats it for me, its there and people can read or ignore it.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    Now, are we done?

Oh yeah but just one thing :

Ok in résume : you think, he thinks, she thinks, they thinks, I think ... WE ALL JUST DO in the way we are or want ...

No that was "my" resume ... sorry about the "not of your business" : cause it was not a good input, I should have said something like - WE ARE FREE - how many rule do you want to add to turn us into puppets and lose our personal colours to get yours ... (it's about expressing ourselves) ...

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

French:

how many rule do you want to add to turn us into puppets and lose our personal colours to get yours ... (it's about expressing ourselves) ...

Theres no rules. I think many of us ex-JWs have the same interest and goal of freedom. Just putting information out there however offers people a choice, whether its choice in thinking a certain way or not think that way or something else. Until we are aware such a choice is available we cannot make that choice, we don't even know its possible. This is why I think its good to have as much of that information as possible, and everyone can make their own choice in the matter.

• lurk
    lurk
    It's really surprising the question would even be asked, if you think about it, because it's so natural and a part of everything we know. It's only the religious aspect that even brings up questions about it.

i dont get why you assume because it happens its natural. and only religion questions it.

scientists that dont belive in god are out there spending millions on the question of ageing and why we die....attemtping understand the genes responsible.

hundred of thousands of ppl are born every year with deformities and illness but we dont say its okay because it always happens there fore its natural ...doctors try to save sick people and discover what causes ilnesses etc etc and now even play with genetics so new generations dont suffer.by your reasoning we should except it all, not question it and get on with natural selection .

women have always died in child birth but we dont excpet it as natural...if modern science can reduce the amount of women that die in child birth then modern science is tackling death and the reasons for it .and that is only science as far as it goes to day .....as far as any universal truth may go (as in the reality of everything not as in the truth excpeted by the majority) we may still be at the stone age end of our full achievement

maybe in the past less mutated gene did allow us to live for much longer periods of time

who knows what lies a head death may simply turn out to be a mile stone as was going in to space.

and if science can do that oen day who is to say what out origianal state was .may be we did in a less mutated society live for longer periods of time.........as for everlasting life maybe thats to come .maybe not..

surely questioning is part of our nature..........so why wouldn you question it .

if we no one questioned we'd still be sailing with in safe borders to prevent falling fo the edge of the world

who knows may be our future will be more like the past of our ancestors belived in .the days of the immortals.

long live the questioners

• laurelin
    laurelin

I'm going to brave the sarcasism and put in my penny worth here.

My father died and I feel there is nothing natural in death. Wilson Mizner puts it straight:

"Those who welcome death have only tried it from the ears up"

For the moment I go along with the biblical reasons of why there is death and suffering. I cannot equate evolution but do not knock those of you who do. I can't see that there is an answer to these questions for agnostics and evolusionists.

I remember the Pope (although his name escapes me) that was shot. He fought to survive (and he hopes to go to heaven) for all he was worth which to my mind goes to show that Death is not natural and when we are actually face to face with it (not discussing it knowing we are healthy) it's a different story.

I don't want to die and the thought of family having to die at some point breaks my heart. There has to be something more than living, breathing, dying. It serves no purpose other than heartbreak and futility.

And as for heaven... I have never been inclined to go to heaven where there is so much on this earth that I have yet to see. I want to live forever in the paradise that the bible promises. But that's just my point of view and everyone views things differently.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I went to the site and read it, just more bible thumping. More efforts to explain the personality of God.

Well ,I look at it like this. Since the beginning of man's existence he has been trying to explain why bad and good, from our perspective, happens. God is an explaination. God allowed Adam and Eve to be tempted by wisdom of life of the tree of knowledge of good and bad, and then he punished them for wanting it. Warned them he would punish them for wanting wisdom. The story is just that, like many other stories as to why life is the way it is. Why were humans not allowed knowledge? What kind of god would want us not to know his perspective? I see nothing about this God I once worshipped as being worthy of anything. Why would he need us to worship him? Does God need something from us? Is there something we give God that makes his life better? Would parents want their children to worship them? It makes no sense when I began to really think about it.

I know Christians love to believe literally in the bible, I once did too. But the bible is a book like a bunch of other writings that was written by men and said to be inspired by God. Where is the proof???????? Hey if God wanted us to know him and his ways, he could instantly put that knowledge in each and every one of us at birth then we would not have to wonder, and try to find human written books on how humans must live their lives to find favor with this being. Personally if this is the way God deals with humans as the bible says, I want nothing more to do with the personality of God. He is as bad as some humans I know. And as for those who are going to be destroyed or burned in hell forever for not believing in the bible God, why would anyone want to worship such a being? He is cruel and has less heart, compassion, empathy than many humans I know.

My ex-husband a JW, who killed my son by refusing blood for him after an accident, prays daily for my eternal destruction his, as his JW sister does too. If God has anything to do with such things, then this being is not someone I would ever draw close too ever again. I've met some very caring and compassionate Christians from other Churches. Now I have to say that they are much more loving in their attitudes, but still the web-site listed at the beginning is the same old baloney christian bible thumping. You worship me or I will destroy you says God. I just don't believe it, and if I did I would not go running to worship a God who demands it of me.

Ok I'll get off my soap box. LOL

Balsam

• Flash
    Flash
    I want to live forever in the paradise that the bible promises. But that's just my point of view and everyone views things differently.

Not everyone. Hello and welcome.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

um......because most of us are H.U.M.A.N. (Head/Up/My/Ass/Now)...?

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit