One Soldier's Viewpoint of Iraq

by ThiChi 92 Replies latest social current

• searcher
    searcher

Point a camera at the bottom right hand corner of my garden and it will show a dump, broaden the view to the whole garden and it will show that 98% of it is well maintained and neat.

I guess it all depends on where you WANT to point the camera hm?

Nothing is ever perfect, some focus on the good, some on the bad, depends on the mindset of the person, I guess it will all be perfect in the new system.

• Simon
    Simon

I'll remember to tell people that when there are fuel shortages over here and people are queuing at the pumps:

"Yeah, but everything else is Ok ... quit yer complaining !"

(there is talk of having more fuel protests over here and the Americans probably won't be happy paying a fraction of what we do either )

• searcher
    searcher

As 75% of what we in the UK pay for fuel is Tax, who should we really blame for the high prices?

Edited to add.

I will remember that the next time I have a bad foot, I should be unhappy that my body is not totally perfect and kill myself. After all, if something is not TOTALLY perfect, is is no good at all, right?

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I will remember that the next time I have a bad foot, I should be unhappy that my body is not totally perfect and kill myself. After all, if something is not TOTALLY perfect, is is no good at all, right?

Good point there, Searcher.

Shades of grey..shades of grey. Something we never could never accept in the black & white world of dubdom.

I think that I may change my name from Englishman to Shades of Grey.

Englishman.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Nice try though ThiChi but I think I'll stick to the BBC, CNN, Reuters, NBC and Al Jazeera to find out what is going on over there and not some bogus Republican propaganda, however "well intentioned" the person behind it may be.

Those five news sources you've named are the most UNRELIABLE and BIASED that exist Simon...and later you say you seek the truth? You've learned nothing from your experience as a JW and are now getting your news from the Watchtowers and Awakes of the News World. Nice move.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

yes thats right. simon you just stick to the bbc and al jazeera and forget the biased Claptrap No News and Nothing But Crap news channels.

• Simon
    Simon
    As 75% of what we in the UK pay for fuel is Tax, who should we really blame for the high prices?

I was meaning "the government".

Don't forget that when you buy fuel you are being hit with double taxation - you pay massive fuel duty and then VAT at 17.5% on top of that. When the chancellor adds 2p on a litre he really gets 2.35p and when fuel prices go up he gets a bonus. The government gets around £60m extra in leap years purely because there is an extra days worth of fuel duty coming in !

So, BBC, CNN, Reuters, NBC and Al Jazeera are not to be trusted. Ok, got that. We should only trust true believers loyal republicans whether or not they are in or have been in Iraq and whether or not what they say passes simple tests of verification and are factually accurate. Ok, got that. Oh, and the president is always right I guess 'cause presidents never lie do they?!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

My personal recommendation is that you look at a VARIETY of News services with a VARIETY of view points. With the exception of AL Jazzera all the News services you mentioned have a left or extremely left view, and the BBC is no longer the standard reliable it once was. A J presents a biased view point period, though it's one of the best that the Arab world has to offer, it's still biased...SOOOO, look around, include bits of SKY, FOX and others with your intake.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I watch Sky as well. We don't get Fox.

The problem is Yeru that you are declaring 'biased' anyone who reports the news that you don't want to hear or that doesn't tally with your outlook.

So, are these news agencies that report chaos in Iraq biased or simply reporting the truth that contradicts what you have been claiming will happen?

I think it's the latter.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

If they report only chaos, and don't report on some of the good things happening there, I call that biased. If they're headlines are still about Abu Gharib and you have to get 10 minutes or 10 pages into it to get news about Nick Berg...it's biased. If it's not reporting that the investigation into AG started in January, that Congress knew about it six weeks before the CBS show, it's biased.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit