One Soldier's Viewpoint of Iraq

by ThiChi 92 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

It's highly likely that certain republican elements only want to hear what they want to hear and not what the reality is.

i actually agree, to a certain degree, with this statement. not that i think fox or any other news channel is reporting something completely outside the realm of "reality", as you imply here, but that i could see republicans tuning into fox, which is slanted to the right, and liberals tuning into cnn, which is slanted to the left. its got something to do with human nature, imo. personally, i watch cnn....and when doing so, i understand that the the majority of journalists are liberal, especially when compared to the public. they may emphasize one story over another out of agenda, but all the big news gets through regardless.

aa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

hell NPR isn't even "liberal".

• rem
    rem

Yeah, correlation does not equal causation! :)

rem, NPR, CNN, FOX, JWD news junkie

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

One misnomer I would like to point out is that Hannaty & O? Reilly are Commentators, not News Journalists as Announcers. See the Difference?

Fox gives context and both sides, and I find that refreshing........

"""hell NPR isn't even "liberal"."""

LOL!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

dubla

fact checking before you comment will help prevent blathering.

Hahahahaha... like if you'd read my posts properly you wouldn't have insisted that FOX didn't shape people's opnions of Saddam as the evidence I cited showed they DO shape people's opinions of Saddam....ha! - and when you finally conceed your error you do so with ill grace - like you blathering on about FOX when you admit yourself you've not done any research. Walk your talk dubla, walk your talk.

not that i think fox or any other news channel is reporting something completely outside the realm of "reality", as you imply here,

What, besides making people think there was a Saddam - Al-Q link, or making people think that WomD had been found? These thing did not happen, and thus were not real. Things that are not real belong outside the realm of "reality".

Honestly dubla, you insist that FOX didn't shape peoples' opinion of Saddam, when they did, Then you, as illustrated by Simon, ignore that Saddam WAS a "good guy" for years as far as the actions of US foreign policy indicated.

You also ignore that you can still spread misinformations about someone who people think is bad to influence their opinion; bad Saddam in Iraq killing Iraqis is one thing to use to justify an invasion; bad Saddam with WoMD who helped Al-Q strike NYC is another thing that will garner far more support for an invasion. Duh! cubed dude, get it in gear.

Do you honestly not see that? I can't believe you're incapable of seeing the difference between the two scenarios. Surely your political sensibilties don't blind you to common sense?

Then you say CNN are 'left slanted'! Hahahahahaha! If that's your perspective you must be a little to the right of Ghengis Khan. I'd love to see credible commentary proving your claims of CNN leftism.

And as you know dick about FOX and can't even see the ride you're being taken for, I'm afraid I find it hard to group your opinion with "credible commentary" - purely based on the mistakes you make and selective considerations you employ to justify your politcal stance.

ThiChi

Well, you can find FOX refreshing along with all the other people that FOX engender misconceptions in. Refreshing bullshit is still bullshit; enjoy!

• dubla
    dubla

abaddon-

your diabolical laughter cues me in that you just might be losing it here, lol.

like if you'd read my posts properly you wouldn't have insisted that FOX didn't shape people's opnions of Saddam as the evidence I cited showed they DO shape people's opinions of Saddam....ha!

i still hold to the fact that the poor opinion of saddam was shaped without the help of fox....and i backed it up with proof, directly from "the left".....you can keep grasping at straws and belly laughing if it makes you feel better....honestly, this subject is a lot more important to you than it is to me. remember how this argument started? it started when i made a comment about how these conspiracy theories are so hilarious.....i find them funny, you rant on and on about them....see the difference? which action uses up more energy?

and when you finally conceed your error you do so with ill grace

i dont remember conceding any error...if i did, i certainly didnt mean to. your post about saddam-al qaeda proves nothing about the extremely poor opinion of saddam thats been in place before clinton, and in fact reinforced by clinton.

Then you, as illustrated by Simon, ignore that Saddam WAS a "good guy" for years as far as the actions of US foreign policy indicated.

im fully aware that saddam was a "good guy" for years, i have no problem with admitting that. the thing is though, that fact has absolutely no bearing on our discussion about fox, which is why simons comment was out of place. you really like that strawman dont you?

You also ignore that you can still spread misinformations about someone who people think is bad to influence their opinion; bad Saddam in Iraq killing Iraqis is one thing to use to justify an invasion; bad Saddam with WoMD who helped Al-Q strike NYC is another thing that will garner far more support for an invasion.

so, your ultimate point out of all this, is that fox might have made some peoples already bad opinion of saddam worse? lol, okay, i can concede that. touche, excellent work.

Then you say CNN are 'left slanted'! Hahahahahaha! If that's your perspective you must be a little to the right of Ghengis Khan. I'd love to see credible commentary proving your claims of CNN leftism.

most of the media is....only blind liberals think otherwise. would you like some facts on the majority of journalists being liberal, especially compared to the public? let me know, id be happy to provide them.

And as you know dick about FOX and can't even see the ride you're being taken for

what "ride"? didnt i already say i didnt watch fox news? another strawman eh?

I'm afraid I find it hard to group your opinion with "credible commentary"

honestly abaddon, i could care less where you group my opinion......my only real opinion that started this was the fact that i thought your brainwashing paranoia was funny, which i still do. its understandable that you take offense to that opinion, but as far as im concerned, you can group it wherever you please....im pretty sure i wont lose any sleep over it.

purely based on the mistakes you make and selective considerations you employ to justify your politcal stance.

what exactly is my "political stance"? that saddam needed to go? i wasnt aware that i was even trying to justify my stance here......i thought i was just explaining why i thought your brainwashing theories were laughable.

aa

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

oh dubby, you think this is ranting?... sweet... it's not. There's a certain "what WILL he say next" fascination, and a certain incredulity at your replies, but I'm just having fun mate...

Nor is it manical laughter, although I suppose characterising my amusement with 'maniacal' as distinct from 'mocking' helps fit the cartoon-chacterisation of the 'left' (ooo! scarey tremble quiver!) you seem to hold dear. Bwahahahha. Hahahah. Bwa. Ha. You get the idea...

You stated FOX didn't change people's opinions of Saddam when there were stats further up the page showing FOX demonstrably had altered people's opinions of Saddam so that they held a misconception.

Building on your assertion you've claimed brainwashing theories about FOX were laughable - funny, I never said ANYTHING about brainwashing. I only showed viewers of channel A were more likely to be misinformed than channel b, etc. and asked why this might be. And there hasn't been one real answer yet. Did you think changing my argument to one of "brainwashing" would make things easier for you... old chap?

Despite the fact under most descriptions of the events you would be described as "wrong", you move your position from "FOX didn't change people's opinions of Saddam" to something along the lines of "people had a bad opinion of Saddam anyway, so it doesn't really matter about the details".

At the end of it all you say;

so, your ultimate point out of all this, is that fox might have made some peoples already bad opinion of saddam worse? lol, okay, i can concede that. touche, excellent work.

So, if someone has a bad reputation, then we need not be concerned if a news channel distorts facts and gives people misconceptions which might make them support actions they otherwise would not support? Seriously?

So, if say the BBC decided that Bush was a big enough git that it didn't matter if they made-up stuff about him, you wouldn't mind? Or do you only mind facts being distorted about right-wingers?

And your fiddle-faddle about you knowing Saddam was once considered a good guy ignores that the ONLY reason his 'classification' changed ten years ago was due to him invading Kuwait. He was a 'good guy' to the USA and some other Western powers when he was violating human rights prior to that point. After that the government HAD to re-classify him as a 'bad guy', as he had outlived his usefulness to the US's strategic interests in the area by going rouge (a democracy supporting and aiding a psychopathically violent and ruthless dictator? What could possibly go wrong?).

What a wonderful view you have from the moral high-ground...

WHATEVER the reasons for the current invasion actually were (which I would have supported from the get-go if it had been under the banner of restoring human rights and democracy to the people of Iraq rather than the cover story used at the time), there was a concerted campaign to win public opinion over to back an extra-territorial conflict. Characeterising Saddam as a threat to the USA (when no 911 link existed and no viable campaign to hold stocks of WoMD to threaten external powers existed - by viable I mean 'having enough to pose a real threat') allowed this to happen.

Both the misleading and false statements made by memebers of the Bush administration and Bush himself (they are a matter of record; do you want the report?), and the amazingly similar misconcepotions fostered by FOX (and other similarly 'unbiased' media) lead to the required suppport being garnered. I don't say this was a conspiracy, but do ask how a professional broadcasting company can so misinform it's viewers.

And so far there's no answer for that. Nix nada zip zilch.

You keep your analysis at a sufficiently superficial level to avoid smelling the stink...It just gets better and better; I couldn't have shown how your concern for truth in news reporting is dependant upon a political agenda if I had tried. And I think you have even convinced yourself... although that might not mean that much now I come to think about it...

Oh: hahahahahaha. I am stroking my pussey and fiddling with my pinkie in the corner of my mouth...

• Golf
    Golf

Dubla, can I interest you to read, 'The Creature from Jekyl Island?' G.Edward Griffin.

About 'conspiracies' he says on page 130, "A moment's reflection on these events leads us to a crossroads of conscience. We must choose between two paths. Either we conclude that Americans have lost control over their government, or we reject this information as a mere distortion of history. In the first case, we become advocates of the conspiratorial view of history. In the latter, we endorse the accidental view. It is difficult choice because we have been conditioned to laugh at conspiracy theories, and a few people will risk public ridicule by advocating them. On the other hand, to endorse the accicental view is absurd. Almost all of history is an unbroken trail of one conspiracy after another. Conspiracies are the norm, no the exception."

Guest 77

• dubla
    dubla

abaddon-

but I'm just having fun mate...

glad to hear it.....if i wasnt having fun on here, i wouldnt be here. i was, apparently, under the misconception that you were taking this a bit too seriously...but its good that youre keeping it lighthearted. it is fun, isnt it?

Nor is it manical laughter

actually, i said diabolical. maniacal would carry a meaning closer to "insanity", whereas diabolical is more like "devilish". one definition of devilish: "mischievous, teasing, or annoying." i could see where you would have mistaken it for "maniacal" though, as i grouped it in a sentence that also suggested you were "losing it"....that was my sloppy usage, sorry.....and i was only playing.

although I suppose characterising my amusement with 'maniacal' as distinct from 'mocking' helps fit the cartoon-chacterisation of the 'left' (ooo! scarey tremble quiver!) you seem to hold dear.

why do you think i hold this "cartoon-characterisation" dear? furthermore, it seems to me that youre using a tactic here, as simon and others have, that attempts to paint me in a corner as a "neo-con", or standing firmly on the far right. just fyi, im not against gay marraige whatsoever, im all for legalizing drugs, and im 100% pro-choice. still think im a fascist conservative?

You stated FOX didn't change people's opinions of Saddam when there were stats further up the page showing FOX demonstrably had altered people's opinions of Saddam so that they held a misconception.

alright, due to the fact that you keep beating me over the head with this, im going to go ahead and respond to it. the "stats" that you showed do not in any way "prove" that fox has altered anyones opinion of saddam. with that evidence, you could argue that fox may have influenced viewers one way or the other......but it doesnt prove it, not by a long shot. lets look at your clip first:

For example, 33 percent of Fox News viewers incorrectly believed it was true that the U.S. has found Iraqi weapons of mass destruction; only 11 percent of people who said they relied on PBS or NPR for news got this wrong. Thirty-five percent of the Fox viewers thought that world opinion favored the U.S. invasion of Iraq; only 5 percent of those who get their news from PBS or NPR had this misconception. And an overwhelming 67 percent of those who relied on Fox thought that the U.S. had found clear evidence that Saddam Hussein had worked closely with Al Qaeda; if you got your news from PBS/NPR, you had just a 16 percent chance of believing this falsehood.

In Fox's defense, viewers of CNN and the broadcast networks, particularly CBS, were not much better informed. But on three major questions central to the debate about Iraq, Fox viewers were the most likely to get it wrong.

okay, i looked through your links, and couldnt find this particular clip....so youll have to point it out to me to examine further. but, just at first glance, your statement that fox "demonstrably had altered peolpes opinion of saddam" already has glaring holes.

first off, i assume this is survey based info, correct? well, we all know what a survey does, it takes a very small group of people (in this case viewers), and projects their answers on the full viewership, as if it were fact. its not science, but they do work as a gauging tool. notice at the bottom of your clip here, that viewers of cnn and all the other broadcast networks "were not much better informed". what does, "not much better" mean? a percent? again, i dont have the exact info in front of me. and what was the fudge factor of the survey? so far, this is hardly "demonstrable" proof about fox specifically shaping anything.

secondly, have you ever stopped to think that theres a chance the majority viewership of fox is conservative, and therefore less likely to say, be trustworthy of saddam in the first place? perhaps the viewers (that answered the survey) already had these notions before turning on fox news. can you prove otherwise? maybe they have a harder time giving saddam the benefit of the doubt when it comes to terrorism then say, the average pbs viewer.

so, again, you have minute evidence that may or may not show the average "fox" viewer to have this specific opinion of saddam (the al-qaeda ties) as opposed to the average "cnn" viewer. in fact, the evidence you provided indeed also shows the average "cnn" viewer probably has/had these same opinions/"misconceptions". my stance, that the general opinion of saddam has stayed consistant since before fox news existed, can be backed up with much more substantial evidence.

Building on your assertion you've claimed brainwashing theories about FOX were laughable - funny, I never said ANYTHING about brainwashing. I only showed viewers of channel A were more likely to be misinformed than channel b, etc. and asked why this might be. And there hasn't been one real answer yet. Did you think changing my argument to one of "brainwashing" would make things easier for you... old chap?

now im confused. my first statement on the subject, that you responded to, was:

these "fox news is the right-wing brainwashing machine" theories are hilarious, imo.

now, if this idea of brainwashing was so far from your actual argument, then why challenge my statement in the first place? why not correct me with something along the lines of "dubla, im not claiming "brainwashing", not in the least....."?.....and then i could have happily ended the entire argument by apologizing for misconceiving your original premise. due to the fact that you specifically challenged me to back up my statement, i assumed i had it correctly. if i have been way off this entire time regarding your actual premise, then i do apologize.

Despite the fact under most descriptions of the events you would be described as "wrong", you move your position from "FOX didn't change people's opinions of Saddam"

no, i havent changed that.....its still my opinion that fox hasnt shaped anything for saddam, he shaped it himself long ago.

So, if someone has a bad reputation, then we need not be concerned if a news channel distorts facts and gives people misconceptions which might make them support actions they otherwise would not support? Seriously?

well, if we are going by your "stats" from above, they show that cnn must have also given people these "misconceptions", otherwise they would have been pretty close to 100% correct on the question, right? or maybe, just maybe, these cnn viewers had these opinions due to something other than the channel specifically steering them down the wrong path....maybe the fox viewers too. maybe they already had a hatred for saddam, and thus were quick to jump to conclusions that the manical dictator who had slaughtered thousands of innocents was likely to be involved in terrorism.?.

And your fiddle-faddle about you knowing Saddam was once considered a good guy ignores that the ONLY reason his 'classification' changed ten years ago was due to him invading Kuwait. He was a 'good guy' to the USA and some other Western powers when he was violating human rights prior to that point. After that the government HAD to re-classify him as a 'bad guy', as he had outlived his usefulness to the US's strategic interests in the area by going rouge (a democracy supporting and aiding a psychopathically violent and ruthless dictator? What could possibly go wrong?).

What a wonderful view you have from the moral high-ground...

abaddon, seriously, can we quit with the strawman stuff? im not trying to side-step the issue of saddams "good guy/bad guy" switch, and ill be happy to discuss it with you if youd like.....and youd probably be surprised to find out that i actually agree with some of your above points on it. the thing is, this issue has nothing to do with our specific discussion of fox news, which wasnt in existance until 1996......wouldnt you agree? and then you take the opportunity to slam me on a "moral" basis, without even knowing my views on the above.....you are better than that.

WHATEVER the reasons for the current invasion actually were (which I would have supported from the get-go if it had been under the banner of restoring human rights and democracy to the people of Iraq rather than the cover story used at the time), there was a concerted campaign to win public opinion over to back an extra-territorial conflict. Characeterising Saddam as a threat to the USA (when no 911 link existed and no viable campaign to hold stocks of WoMD to threaten external powers existed - by viable I mean 'having enough to pose a real threat') allowed this to happen.

for the most part, i agree with you. i still think that if the wmds werent there, he couldve easily proven it, but ive already argued that one to death on other threads, and we can pick it up on one of those if you get the inclination.

You keep your analysis at a sufficiently superficial level to avoid smelling the stink...It just gets better and better

how so? my analysis of saddam, or my analysis of news reporting?

I couldn't have shown how your concern for truth in news reporting is dependant upon a political agenda if I had tried.

i dont think news reporting is without spin or agenda in this country. i just dont think its quite the mind-bending, brainwashing tool some make it out to be....but you are not one of those "some", as youve already clarified (i think) that the "brainwashing" idea is not one you hold.

im still interested to know what "political agenda" you think im trying to propagate?

Oh: hahahahahaha. I am stroking my pussey and fiddling with my pinkie in the corner of my mouth...

great visual....lol.

aa

• rem
    rem

Golf,

Why the false dichotomy? Why can't it be a little of both?

To go aong with dubla's reasoning and my "correlation != causation" aphorism, another reason why Fox viewers may have misconceptions is due to right-wing talk radio commentators. Ultra conservatives who listen to talk radio (the majority of talk radio is absurdly right wing in the US) may identify best with the Fox news channel. CNN, NPR, and BBC probably disgusts them. In fact, Fox probably isn't far enough right for them anyhow.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit