One Soldier's Viewpoint of Iraq

by ThiChi 92 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

to all,

i asked abaddon:

would you like some facts on the majority of journalists being liberal, especially compared to the public?

i thought id back this up, in case anyone was interested to see some facts on it:

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=829

Journalists at national and local news organizations are notably different from the general public in their ideology and attitudes toward political and social issues. Most national and local journalists, as well as a plurality of Americans (41%), describe themselves as political moderates. But news people ­ especially national journalists ­ are more liberal, and far less conservative, than the general public.

its also obvious that the majority of the self-proclaimed "moderates" are decidedly liberal in their views when looking at the way conservatives, moderates, and liberals answered the questions on "ideology and values". the media isnt just somewhat more liberal than the public, its markedly so......a landslide.

aa

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi dubla

Out of it for a week thus no reply?

I?m glad you understand that this is the equivalent of a game of squash for me ? and I?m sure it?s roughly analogus to you. Part fun, part contest, taking pleasure from it and admiring or deriding one?s ?opponents ? ?game? as seems apt.

I do think that we tend to get into these situations where one ? normally quite rightly ? points out an error or over-statement or some sloppiness of phrasing. Game then ensues, and with each successive post any further hyperboles or sloppiness gets added as grist to the mill.

And no, I don?t think you are a fascist conservative. Right-wingers with libertarian leanings can have misconceptions or hyperbolic conceptions of the left too.

Obviously stats don?t prove anything; you?re right there. I mean, statistically, more people voted for Gore than Bush, but it doesn?t seem to have proved anything about democracy. Rather it appears to prove the faults with two-party, first-past-the-post systems that I am extremely aware of, as the UK has them too. I cannot conceive why two of the most powerful countries in the world persist with a 18th/19th Century mechanism for providing democracy when there are now far better mechanisms that give better representation of the spread of a populace?s opinions and avoid the oppositional and cyclic nature that the USA and UK voting systems give. Yes this is off topic. Yes it is making fun. But I also think it's a good point.

Likewise, I can?t guarantee the methodology of the survey, but you can?t fault it, you can just dispute it in a generic fashion; there?s a difference, as one can dispute the spherically of the Earth if one wishes; it doesn?t change the shape of the Earth one jot.

You have an.. interesting argument. You seem to suggest that Conservative viewers select a channel that is Conservative. Okay, fine. But why would this increase the chance that they believe misinformation? The statistics I quoted were not about Saddam?s ?trustworthiness?. They were about misconceptions over areas of factual determination where FOX viewers were disproportionately likely to be.. what was the word?... oh... WRONG.

Now you say maybe they had these misconceptions before viewing FOX. Or maybe I suppose had them and chose FOX as their channel as it it agreed with them?

That still doesn?t answer why, seemingly without any influence, conservatives who later decided to view FOX were more likely to be misinformed than non-FOX viewers. One of the options I gave above was that the misconceptions were perhaps due to the stupidity of average FOX viewers in comparison to other channel?s viewers. That was a joke. You seem to be suggesting that the misconceptions were due to pre-existing conditions on the part of the viewers, and thus are actually agreeing with me to some extent (not that you?d agree you were agreeing with me?).

I also love how you?re trying to suggest that by responding to your straw man ?brainwashing argument? I was validating it. I should have been clearer in rejecting your argument as not being mine, but was concentrating on how your assertion ran contrary to the evidence I?d presented, rather than how it differed from my stance.

its still my opinion that fox hasnt shaped anything for saddam, he shaped it himself long ago.

And it?s my opinion you select your facts to believe this. Old habits die hard, eh?

I said;

So, if someone has a bad reputation, then we need not be concerned if a news channel distorts facts and gives people misconceptions which might make them support actions they otherwise would not support? Seriously?

You?ve not answered this, other than rather unsuccessfully doing a ?there is no spoon? routine

You are proposing what a person of your intelligence must realise are statistical unlikelihood?s, that FOX viewers are misinformed regarding current affairs (in a similar fashion to the misinformation spread by Bush?s administration at various points) but not as a result of the news they watch, and were misinformed prior to their choice of channel, selecting the channel as it?s misconceptions matched their own. You don?t answer WHERE they got their pre-misconceptions from. An awful lot of your counter argument rests on maybes and coincidence.

Effectively it?s like you were arguing that although two-thirds of car accidents involve someone who is intoxicated, they don?t crash because they were intoxicated, there?s some other factor.

abaddon, seriously, can we quit with the strawman stuff?

We probably BOTH need to do that!

im not trying to side-step the issue of saddams "good guy/bad guy" switch, and ill be happy to discuss it with you if youd like.....and youd probably be surprised to find out that i actually agree with some of your above points on it. the thing is, this issue has nothing to do with our specific discussion of fox news, which wasnt in existance until 1996......wouldnt you agree?

I agree people thought Saddam was bad because of Gulf War I. How could I not? However, he WAS 'bad' BEFORE then... but because of foreign policy, was regarded as a 'friendly power', and was certainly not attacked by government officials in the USA for the human-rights breaches he was committing then.

However MY specific points regarding FOX have zip to do with overall opinion but are to do with the greater likelihood of FOX viewers having misconceptions that have also been fostered at various points by the Bush administration.

And do you really believe (as I outlined I believe) that the Bush Admin were cogniscent of the difficulty of getting public support behind an extra-territorial war if the public believed the target of that war was of no real danger to them? And that they were selective at times in their presentation of information so as to foster beliefs in a direct threat to the USA from Iraq?

Don?t underestimate the effect of viewing habits dubla. If you lets kids watch violent programs they play violently afterwards (in comparison to a control). It is not a coincidence. If a news channel is reporting non-facts, to argue until you?re blue in the face that the viewers believing these non-facts is nothing to do with their viewing habits requires an awful lot of trust in coincidence.

Regards

Gyles

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

dubla

re. your journalists are liberals thing, I think actually you have a point, but it's not the one you think it is.

IF conservatives, as represented by FOX viewers, are conservative due to their world view, and their world view is in error or selective, then one could argue that those with a more accurate world-view (like... oh, I don't know, journalists?) would be likely to have a different world view.

I don't see anything unusual in that. Most scientists believe in evolution. Many non-scientists don't know dick about science but have very strong opinions on evolution.

Oh, nice stats; the PEW Institute gave me one of my favourate stat sets; you know, the ones showing that the USA is closer to Pakistan or Nigeria in terms of the influence religious belief has than France or Germany... the one which showed that 44% of people surveyed believed that God gave Israel to the Jews, and that 36% believe the modern day state of Israel is a fulfilment of prophecies concerning the second coming, that 48% believe the USA has special protection from god... some FUNDAMENTALLY disturbing beliefs, if they effect someone's political agenda.

Now, what we all want to know is, did they believe that before they watch FOX, and whether it;s a coincidence or not..

(I do hope tou realise that's a joke)

• talesin
    talesin

I have to wonder why 'liberal' is a dirty word to some?

Open minded, that's the main meaning behind liberal. Isn't the JW society 'conservative' --- closed minded, repressed and narrow in their world view?

Years ago, going to university meant one had a more 'liberal' education, ie, you were more educated about the world and willing to accept a broader range of ideas. If seen in this light, then it would make sense that more international journalists have a 'liberal' world view.

This device of equating having a 'liberal' viewpoint to being a member of an american political party, doesn't work for me in a forum where many of us are not american.

I think we are being confused by terminology here.

t

• ball.
    ball.
    Don't forget that when you buy fuel you are being hit with double taxation - you pay massive fuel duty and then VAT at 17.5% on top of that

triple taxation. The money you use to buy the fuel was taxed when you earned it.

• dubla
    dubla

abaddon-

figured you must have been away...wb.

You have an.. interesting argument. You seem to suggest that Conservative viewers select a channel that is Conservative. Okay, fine. But why would this increase the chance that they believe misinformation?

you are correct that i had offered no answer to that specific question...i just posed it as a possibility. but rem had an answer that might make some sense:

Another reason Fox viewers may have misconceptions is due to right-wing talk radio commentators. Ultra conservatives who listen to talk radio (the majority of talk radio is absurdly right wing in the US) may identify best with the Fox news channel.

i could see that, honestly. i was riding in a car with a friend of mine, right after the war started. hes what i would call "ultra conservative", and listens to rush religiously. well, rush happened to be on the radio in his car at the time, and mr. limbaugh was strongly suggesting (as if it was fact), that earlier that day u.s. soldiers had found solid evidence of wmds, and it was only a matter of time (a short amount of time) that the smoking gun would be out. i think it was stemming from what he labeled "high levels" of sarin found in a river. i never heard a thing about it after that....nothing on the news, internet, anywhere.

They were about misconceptions over areas of factual determination where FOX viewers were disproportionately likely to be.. what was the word?... oh... WRONG.

again, i dont have the actual stats from the survey, but what percentage number are you considering to be "diproportionately likely to be...wrong"? you havent really qualified that statement with solid numbers. according to your clip, cnn viewers "were not much better informed". what does "not much better" mean? is it enough of a margin to say unequivically that fox viewers were "misinformed" in comparison to cnn viewers? what was the error margin of the survey? the stats you provided, up to this point, just arent that convincing.

That was a joke. You seem to be suggesting that the misconceptions were due to pre-existing conditions on the part of the viewers

i was suggesting that was a possibility. one reason, if we go off of the idea that the government (bush) was (knowingly or unknowingly) providing misinformation to the public, conservatives may be more likely to trust it/him than liberals. this is only another possibility, not necessarily my belief. the same could be true of the clinton scandal....when he said "i did not have sexual relations with that woman", id guess there might have been a greater number of misinformed liberals than conservatives on the subject.

And it?s my opinion you select your facts to believe this.

my facts are just quite a bit more convincing than yours, imo of course, lol.

And do you really believe (as I outlined I believe) that the Bush Admin were cogniscent of the difficulty of getting public support behind an extra-territorial war if the public believed the target of that war was of no real danger to them?

yes i do, and ive said as much on past threads.

And that they were selective at times in their presentation of information so as to foster beliefs in a direct threat to the USA from Iraq?

yep, i think the direct threat was over-hyped.

If a news channel is reporting non-facts, to argue until you?re blue in the face that the viewers believing these non-facts is nothing to do with their viewing habits requires an awful lot of trust in coincidence.

this gets back to what i was saying in my last post. if, as you suggest, fox is reporting "non-facts", then according to your stats, cnn must also be reporting these same non-facts (due to the fact that cnn viewers werent much better informed). now, that works fine if your original argument was about the u.s. media, but it wasnt, it was specifically about fox news.

IF conservatives, as represented by FOX viewers, are conservative due to their world view, and their world view is in error or selective, then one could argue that those with a more accurate world-view (like... oh, I don't know, journalists?)

why would journalists necessarily have a more accurate world view than conservatives? youre not even comparing apples to apples here, as there are no doubt conservative journalists (even if they are few and far between). furthermore, how could you prove "conservatives" in general have a world view that is "in error or selective"? again, if youre going by the stats you provided, and using the "fox viewers" argument, the same argument could then be made about cnn viewers who were also "misinfomed". do liberals, as represented by cnn viewers, have a world view that is in error? the argument doesnt work because there are no doubt conservatives who watch cnn and liberals that watch fox......the only way it would work statistically is if your survey stats broke down viewers as "conservative" or "liberal" in addition to which station they tuned in to.

the only point i was attempting to make with the pew stats is that the media is more liberal than the public by a long shot. perhaps you dont think that influences their bias when it comes to reporting....i have a hard time believing that.

talesin-

This device of equating having a 'liberal' viewpoint to being a member of an american political party, doesn't work for me in a forum where many of us are not american.

I think we are being confused by terminology here.

in discussions such as these, and in the survey stats i provided, thats what "liberal viewpoint" generally means. of course this doesnt describe everyone who has a liberal viewpoint around the world, but for our purposes here, its pretty much understood as such.

aa

• MoodyBlue
    MoodyBlue

Dubla, why do you gotta ruffle feathers, my dear? Methinks you are looking to argue bc you are bored...Hmm. I wonder if you always look for arguments when you've got nothing better going on.... just to see people steam.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask
    I have to wonder why 'liberal' is a dirty word to some?

Yes and if my name were "chocolate chip cookies" then I should be pretty tasty?

• dubla
    dubla

moody-

me, ruffle feathers? you know me better than that.

Methinks you are looking to argue bc you are bored...Hmm. I wonder if you always look for arguments when you've got nothing better going on.... just to see people steam.

sometimes debate can be fun and educational, and not involve any "steaming". you should try it.

btw, we are discussing u.s. politics here, not eskimos and hockey.....i dont want you to get lost.

aa

• talesin
    talesin
    btw, we are discussing u.s. politics here, not eskimos and hockey.....i dont want you to get lost.

Actually, atm we are discussing the percentage of journalists that are liberal. So, you did not address my comments in the context of the discussion.

Did we switch from the 'liberalism' of the press back to US politics? I must have missed it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit