Happy at Bethel. Can't believe what I'm seeing.

by Pubsinger 109 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

that low res short version sucks

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

that low res short version sucks.....insidetheKH

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I try not to harbor resentment as much as possible because in the end, it's me who suffers.

Despite having said that, it's difficult not to be resentful when I view this video. I'm all for people having fun and the Society lightening up a little when it comes to music and dancing but when I think my younger years and the admonishment from the platform not to emulate the world, I can't help but be resentful.

We weren't supposed to even like worldly music let alone dance to it or include it in any JW activity,  Non society sanctioned music was said to be from people who didn't love or know Jehovah, performers who live immoral lifestyles and modern dance moves were suggestive and promoted the world's immoral ways.

So far in recent months we've seen dancing and worldly music in the Kingdom Halls and now they've allowed this video of Bethel to include the very dance moves and worldly music that was vilified not so long ago. We weren't supposed to emulate the world in any way. They emphasized that young ones should be serious minded and held up as examples those who lived austere lives in order to serve Jehovah. When Bethel service was promoted, hard work and dedication was the thing they highlighted. You weren't supposed to come there expecting to have fun or to see the big City.

This kind of thing in a way, makes a mockery of my growing up years. It confirms my resolve that anyone who was a JW in the recent past and has seen these changes yet continues to alter their lives around this organization, deserves whatever future regret and disappointment that's in store for them.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    @pete The future is bright
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    well said pete Zahut!
  • Watchtower-Free
  • millie210
    millie210

If Witnesses only go - song by song- and it doesnt matter about the artists other work, then why did we all have to STOP listening to Michael Jackson after Thriller?

Young people were hauled in to elders meetings over that very thing.

One young pioneer brother was no longer allowed to conduct meetings for field service because he had Michael Jackson music in his car.

It seems that some are saying the song is fine. Ok. But it was the SOCIETY that said we had to go by more....the reputation of the artist for example.

All I am asking is when did the rules change? Why was it not ok and now IS ok? And who gets to make these whimsical "rules" and how important is it to follow them knowing they will change at some point?

Where is the continuity of thought? What principles come in to play here?

How is this defend able?  

• Listener
    Listener
    The bottom line is that the Society/Bethel has to resort to worldly methods in order to retain the young.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit