What do you collect?

by scootergirl 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

This is a good thread to bookmark..... come Xmas time for Xmas Gift Exchange!!

(I also collect porcelain hummingbirds)

• franklin J
    franklin J

oddly enough.....I collect Russian religious icons, hand chased from pure silver. (.999 content) I have many, and they are all exquisite works of craftsmanship.

My wife does not....appreciate them, and will not let me display them.

• Special K
    Special K

Nice Franklyn

I guess your wife doesn't let you display your silver (from your post)

But she does show her silver lining when she chases the J.W.'s away. I guess you are worth more than silver and gold to her.

good stuff.

sincerely

Special K

• franklin J
    franklin J

LOL

nice anology, Special K,

thank you for the reminder. I suppose our marriage is like any other; with a little maintenance and support it is great. Like silver, it has to be polished occasionally for it to really shine. Also like silver; it is impervious to most anything. When it is good; it is great. When it starts to go; we take cover for fear of a nuclear blast---both of us have seen many failed marriages in our respective families and work "overtime" to avoid any kind of melt down.

I look out for her and she looks out for me....and the kids yell at both of us equally.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Scooter, Definately check out the auction!!! You can get some great deals. Minnesota-well, anywhere in the midwest is THE place to find really great things. There will be a lot of dealers, but there will also be a lot of "Sleepers" which people do not know about, even the dealers. If you have a feeling about something you see, by all means try to get it, But stick with your guns about having a maximum bid amount to what you are willing to pay, and stick with it. It is very easy to get caught in the Frenzy of the auction, and as long as you keep your wits about you, you will have lots of fun, and maybe end up with a priceless heirloom. Have fun!!! P.S. Wish I was there!!!

Chevys...building your own Hepplewhite chair! Wow, that is an accomplishment! Quite a difference from the Chippendale period. I love the joining techniques that they used back then. Things were mortise and tenoned, and pegged, built to last!!! They don't make 'em like they used to! I too was a designer at an interior design studio in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 years, until moving here to Ohio, now have my own Antiques business. I enjoy antiques more, yet they tie in very nicely in the aspect of interior design. Did you also take a furniture History class??? Would love to see a pic of the chair you made!!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

I agree with Ohiocowboy, Chevy, a picture of that chair would be interesting to see. did you cut out the back with a jigsaw? I would be interested to see it also.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    did you cut out the back with a jigsaw

yep, jigsaw, scroll saw same thing :) Unfortunately I had to give up woodworking when I moved out since I no longer had a work shop.

My family owns an Antique store here in So Cal. They got started picking up great pieces at garage sales. I have a great little pitcher and glass plant holder (not sure what it is but I use it for holding plants) made out of Depression Glass that my unlce picked up at a garage sale for .65 cents. Antiques are a great investment if you know what you're looking for, unfortunately I dont know much about thme. I just teh difference between a Chippendale Foot and a Louis XV Foot. That's about it :)

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1
    Chippendale Foot

Is that a stripper's foot? Exactly what do you collect, chev?

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

LOL at Troof. Smart-aleck.... the foot of the leg of the CHAIR!!!!

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

No offense to any of you my friends but it sounds like we are all collecting a bunch of useless CRAP!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit