What do you collect?

by scootergirl 71 Replies latest jw friends

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Being that I work for NYC transit I collect books and maps that collectors may want 20 years or so from now. I also collect transit related books, magazines, badges, tools. I have a large collection I hope will give me a little money in the future.

Recently I found some old destination signs that were just collecting dust in the corner of the office, the line has been elimated by NYC transit so collectors will be willing to buy these from me. I found severla years ago bus maps that were being thrown out in 1996. The maps were 6 years old at that time making them 14 years old today.

I also purchase old maps or trade with other collectors.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I collect MP3s

I also collect any book I can find on my particular interests.....

• logical
    logical

curses and diseases

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I collect mini elephants, dolls, purses, perfume bottles, coca cola girl posters, books, and hundreds of pieces of my children's artwork, ribbons.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

I have a pretty good collection of Knives& Swords. I also collect rocks, polished orbs, and of course books.
    Sheila and I have already filled every bit of available bookshelfing and I have been requested to build some more. Mind you now we read the books we collect. I know a lot of people who collect them just for looks.

Thunder ===}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Wow.......lots of different interesting collections! I find it so amazing what people collect. Usually there is some story behind what they have an interest in.

Next weekend I may head to my very first auction that is to be held not too far from here. The family was homesteaded in the late 1800's and apparently are selling off everything (not sure of the cirucumstances). I want to go and check out the antiques and the old knick knacks. I am also very interested in the old furniture. I have quite the array of bird stuff besides my Bastin pictures-nests, boxes and houses. I would love to see if they have anything that would interest me. I would love to be able to tour the old house too.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I am an avid antiques collector. Up till recently, I was collecting authentic 1700's period furniture and accessories, ie; Queen Anne, Chippendale, Hepplewhite. In the past year though, I have been in a primitive mode, which encompasses early painted furniture, shaker boxes, early baskets, 1800's twig and horn furniture, 1800's oil portraits, and of course cowboy collectibles, spurs, chaps, hats, boots, bridles, etc. I also enjoy old Native American pottery and baskets. I specialize in finding very unusual items, things that you never see in antique shops. Many times these turn out to be very rare, and am able to generate a really great profit, which allows me to buy even more. It is a big addiction with me, and have been collecting antiques since I was 12.

It was really funny growing up, as everything I got, my mother was scared to death that it was "Demonized", and generally could not keep things in the house, unless it was something she felt was "Safe"-it wasn't funny at the time, but look back and laugh now!

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

Teapots (30++ yr collection!), Mermaids, Antique Bottles & Baskets.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

That's really interesting OhioCowboy! I would love to collect antiques. For me there is so much history behind things that I find so interesting. Plus, the "thrill" of the hunt would be very cool!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Queen Anne, Chippendale, Hepplewhite.

These are some of my favorite pieces. That's quite an expensive collection to have :)

When I was taking Art History and Interior Design in college the Hepplewhites where my favorite. I got in to trying to make my own furniture for a while, and I made a Hepplewhite influenced chair for my parents. I made my own detailed backing for it from Mahogany wood. It truely was one of my favorite accomplishments. I tried a Chippendale chair once, but I must admit I never became very good with legs, the clawed foot is much harder to duplicate than the backs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit